Davidson's Logo Design Tutorials: Results / Concepts / Feedback Thread

CDixonDesign

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you guys do that. I have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Do i need to get a different program.

Nope, you're good with Illustrator.

I've been checking through this thread regularly, and there's some great stuff here. I'm working on one myself, although it's specifically for a logo concept I'm working on.

First try at this, Johnny Depp.

depp.png

Nice overall, but the Depp aspect I think needs some work, the eyes mostly. To me it looks like Depp's hair and facial features with Carl Crawford's eyes.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

SWEETTIESS? I normally don't rag on something for 'looking' like it says something else, but :blink:

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 weeks later...

Windmill, those aren't bad at all but you really need to look at thickening up the lines you're using. Right now the lines are incredibly thin and if you'd posted the pics any smaller they would almost have been invisible in places. Another thing you need to work on is maintaining an even line weight all round. By that I dont mean it should be the same weight at every point on the line, it's good to have thicks and thins on a line to indicate light and shade but this needs to be done in a controlled way, as it stands right now I can spot a half dozen places between your two examples where lines vary in weight for no obvious reason.

They are a great start but you need to work on bolder more controlled lines and as you said yourself work on the blocking in of shading, but great start and keep at it.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Windmill, those aren't bad at all but you really need to look at thickening up the lines you're using. Right now the lines are incredibly thin and if you'd posted the pics any smaller they would almost have been invisible in places. Another thing you need to work on is maintaining an even line weight all round. By that I dont mean it should be the same weight at every point on the line, it's good to have thicks and thins on a line to indicate light and shade but this needs to be done in a controlled way, as it stands right now I can spot a half dozen places between your two examples where lines vary in weight for no obvious reason.

They are a great start but you need to work on bolder more controlled lines and as you said yourself work on the blocking in of shading, but great start and keep at it.

9erssteve

Good advice. I think the reason that some of my lines vary in weight is because I practically hand draw them with the pen tool in photoshop. I'm curious to know how others are making their line shapes because i'm not that good with the pen tool. I know there are ways to curve lines using the pen tool but it's hard for me to manipulate the curves.

Gordie that's a nice one.

i think lots of people are simply producing half tone images. its very simple to colour the dark bits black and the light bits white, but its harder to create a logo of an image.

gordies is fine, but its more an illustration, than the sort of mark look i was going for.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived