Davidson's Logo Design Tutorials: Results / Concepts / Feedback Thread

CDixonDesign

Here's one I did for our inter-office Serge Ibaka fan club. Didn't really follow the same procedures though, mainly just drew it from a reference photo. You can read about it on our blog: http://www.oldhatdesign.com/blog

Ibaka-Blockahs-Logo-1.png

Dude, that's fantastic!

Yeah can't believe I let thread this thread go on without my watching...That would make a great concept for like an ABC lineup overlay (with real pictures of course). Do you have a blank version of this?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

colonelsbrand.png

good effort here.

although its not quite facially perfect, this is certainly very close to the style i intended. although a few of the others are really nice,

they really just give the effect of a threshold effect from psd.

Hey guys I'm new to the board and to making logos as well. I'm fascinated by the work done in this tutorial and would love to learn how to make these logos in AI. Currently I have AI CS3.. I also have a WACOM drawing pad both of which I'm new to and very eager to become competent with. I have a little experience with Illustrator..mostly just messing around nothing much to speak of. As a beginner do you guys recommend me jumping right in to this tutorial or starting with a beginners tutorial? Do you know of any good tutorials using these methods here for a beginner? Lastly do most of you recommend using a drawing pad or mouse? Thanks for taking the time to help a green horn...lol

Well here is my first crack at it...I strayed away from Davidsons tutorial because I still don't have a grasp on the facial guide lines that are used. I traced it from a template. I'm pleased with the result as it was my 1st attempt. Now I need to figure out how to turn it into a logo.

Santonio-Holmes1.png

Template I used...

Santonio-Holmes-1.jpg

Well here is my first crack at it...I strayed away from Davidsons tutorial because I still don't have a grasp on the facial guide lines that are used. I traced it from a template. I'm pleased with the result as it was my 1st attempt. Now I need to figure out how to turn it into a logo.

Santonio-Holmes1.png

Template I used...

Santonio-Holmes-1.jpg

First big step you can take to doing that is reduce the number of colours used. Pick TWO colours and white and see if you can find a way to get all the facial features to work using just that limited palette, it wont be easy but once you've figured it out you'll be well on your way to having a logo rather than an illustration like you have now.

You'll also need to look at things like line weights right now any lines you have are far to thin, and also look at finding ways to combine certain elements on the face. Take for example the eyebrow and the shading inside the eye socket, could that all be one continuous shape and still be recognisable? I'm not saying it is you'll have to try. Find ways to create bigger, simpler, more continuous and flowing shapes to represent facial features as well. Logos are all about rendering something in the simplest way possible.

It's a good start but as you said yourself it's not a logo yet, but keep at it and you'll get there.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Hey guys, new poster here. I'm pretty familiar with Illustrator, and so far, I've got a good little sketch to work from. However, I'm not sure what it meant when you say "hand drawn" and "blocks" as opposed to the "line tool". Could someone clarify?

Basically, I'm having a difficult time making the thicker, block-like areas because I'm not sure what method to use. Thanks! Glad to be on board with all of the great designers around these parts!

flyerssignature2.png

tampasignature2.png

msusignature2.png

Pen tool, make an outline, then fill.

as opposed to using strokes to create lines and outlines.

Ok thanks! That will definitely help me in the future. I was just unsure of what you meant by the term, but now I got it. Again, I appreciate it.

flyerssignature2.png

tampasignature2.png

msusignature2.png

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my first shot at this...I decided to do Mickey Mantle. Let me know what y'all think - I am really trying to get good at this type of illustration. Thanks!

Original Image:

mickey-mantle-painting.jpg

My Illustration:

mantle.jpg

Proportionally everything looks ok, it's where it should be etc but the whole thing looks like it was drawn with the tip of a pin! Seriously take the image that davidson did in his tutorial and then reduce it 50% it's current size and I guarantee you it will hold up, you'll still be able to see all the lines round the face and all the details. Do the same with yours and I hate to say it but chances are you'll be left looking at the underside of a cap peak, the large dark area you've created for his inner ear and not a whole lot else.

You need to be far bolder with the lines you're using but most of all I think you need to go back at re-read the tutorial and understand what it's about, it's about creating large bold shapes that build up the face, not thin outlines. Right now there are no large areas and nothing bold about your first attempt.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Proportionally everything looks ok, it's where it should be etc but the whole thing looks like it was drawn with the tip of a pin! Seriously take the image that davidson did in his tutorial and then reduce it 50% it's current size and I guarantee you it will hold up, you'll still be able to see all the lines round the face and all the details. Do the same with yours and I hate to say it but chances are you'll be left looking at the underside of a cap peak, the large dark area you've created for his inner ear and not a whole lot else.

You need to be far bolder with the lines you're using but most of all I think you need to go back at re-read the tutorial and understand what it's about, it's about creating large bold shapes that build up the face, not thin outlines. Right now there are no large areas and nothing bold about your first attempt.

9erssteve

I had a feeling that would be the response. While I understand what the tutorial is about, every time I try to use "large, bold shapes that build up the face", it just doesn't look right to me. Are there are tricks or tutorials I could check out to get a better grasp of that? Or is it just simply practice?

Also, here's another one that I did. Any better?

john_mayer.jpg

Ok this is gonna sound really kinda stupid but try it...

Take the picture you want to do blow it up pretty big then sit back and squint at it. Yeah screw your eyes up and squint at it. You'll instantly lose all the detail in the image and what you'll get are the large areas of light and shade on the image. Take you time look at it and identify where they are on the image and when you come to draw the face remember where they were and make them as big and bold (simplify the shapes remove any small unnecessary details) as possible.

Going off and finding a few tutorials on how to draw a face would help as well, for example lips dont have outlines. Draw them as solid shapes, the top one tends to be dark as it angles down into the mouth the lower one is usually light because it curves out the mouth so in standard lighting will catch the light so is best illustrated through the use of a shadow below it. Same applies with noses they aren't created using outlines rather the placement of the shadows created by the eye sockets. Everything on a face connects to something else and it's the interaction of light and shade that will give you the features not a series of individual lines.

Practice is really the only way to get better at anything, but first understand your subject matter, there are tutorials out there I'm sure on drawing heads that will explain all the anatomical details, and before you can simplify something well you have to understand how to draw it accurately, so if I was you I'd start there and then work towards this.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived