Concepts from Tobacco Road

raysox

Remember this thread? Well here's the sequel. The 4 teams today are the 4 major teams from North Carolina. I tried to have kinda modern designs with these, due to the craze with Pro Combat. So here ya go! I'll start with the best team.

24/120 NC State

So easy upgrade here, their current is just a simple, no design jersey. I went with some shoulder stripes, which sort of tied into the wolf motif. The walking wolf logo on the sleeves. I made a custom State scrip for the chest, and if you look closely, the S is the primary logo. The pants just tie into the shoulder stripes. The numbers also match the primary logo.

NCState.png

25/120 UNC

Ew, UNC. So if you know anything about the Tar Holes, you know argyle is a big design. So obviously, I took the idea and ran with it. Pants are an argyle pattern up. Then the sleeves are a total argyle pattern, similar to a sweater vest. I put the ram logo on top of that, then a UNC, with the heel over the numbers.

UNC.png

26/120 Wake Forest

Another team that fell to the Mizzu template, I had to make a new style. I've seen someone do something like this, and thought it looked great. The stripe goes from over the shoulder, around, and down the back. The collar ends where the seam is. The numbers are TNR, to match the WF logo on the helmet. I made a script with the same font for over the numbers. Lastly, I made a white helmet, just to see how I liked it, and I did.

Wake.png

27/120 Duke

Now, they have basically the Colts jerseys, so that gave me a chance to do anything. I started with horns, for the devils. Then I added some pizazz under them. I LOVED the 2 tone Miami numbers, so I threw it in here, but subtle. I embraced black for a team with a rather small football history, and it matched the basketball team. The black set's socks are black, just because the blue seemed awkward.

Duke.png

Comments would be appreciated. Raysox, out.

Spammy, in. I really like the NC state, the shoulder logo really does it for me, and the pants stripe and logo works. Ok, now UNC. I like this a little bit less than NC state. The argyle pattern on the sleeve is screwing me up, it seems a little to busy. But overall, I really like it. Duke.... Very nice, the jersey stripes are really complimentary to the colors and look nice, my only issue is the two tone numbers. Remove the darker color and you have a winner. I really like Wake, the pattern fits really well with the nickname for some reason I think, and the font is perfect. No changes needed there, overall, great job. Can't wait to see who's next.

NC State looks very nice, simple and classy.

I think the argyle on UNC is a bit too much, try and make it a bit more subtle. I don't know how to explain it, but the basketball uniforms do it pretty well.

Wake is pretty nice. I hate Times New Roman but I guess it works here. The wordmark should be the same color as the numbers, I think. I also think you you should make the pants stripe longer, it almost looks wimpy right now. That's just personal preference though.

Duke looks great. I don't think the two tone is working right now. All you do is make the bottom half slightly darker. I think blue, black and white are distinct enough that you could make the numbers white/black on the home, blue/black on away and white/blue on the alt.

To be honest, NC State is the best of the bunch, the other just don't do anything for me. The Argyle, as mentioned, is too much on the UNC Concept, if it was more subtle and less bold it would work well. The Wake is ok, but the striping just looks thrown in, knock that out and it becomes a clean look. The same with the shoulder striping on the Duke set as well...

There's some good stuff going on here, and also some stuff that needs a bit of work. The State concept is an upgrade: simple striping, very little black, and the use of the Mr. Wuf logo are all making me happy. However, I'm not feeling using the Block-S logo as the S in STATE (though I do love the use of STATE). And no red pants! Thank you!

I like the idea of integrating the argyle into the Carolina concept. Unfortunately, I think it needs to be done much more subtly. Also, that UNC wordmark and the modern Ram logo really aren't used very often by Carolina's athletic teams, and for good reason. I'd nix them.

I actually think Wake is your best set. Simple yet modern striping, unified type style, and I love the white helmet (though only as an alternate). Good job here.

Duke is ok, but it doesn't really look like the jerseys match the pants because of their disparate striping/piping styles. I'm also not sure the two-toned numbers work here, especially because it's forcing you to introduce two brand new colors (silver/gray and darker blue) to the scheme. Furthermore, I think a blue helmet would look much better.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Really, is this poll absolutely necessary? really?

Half of these are upgrades.

NC state is a slight upgrade. The slashing stripes look good. It's nice to see them with a little character rather than the bland uniforms they wear now. However the offset black outline clutters things here, it would be better if it was just the number color base, then black stroke, then the jersey color, nothing in between. I see what you were trying to do with matching it to the helmet logo, but the outline on the logo looks mediocre in the first place, and the white numbers with a black offset stroke is really hard to see on the red base. The wordmark is incredibly clunky. And I'm not a huge fan of the wolf mascot logo on the sleeves, it doesn't really belong on their actual uniforms, it's more of a merchandise logo. Try utilizing some of their rarely used howling wolfpack logos.

You overdid UNC. The argyle is too prevalent on the arms, and just looks strange on the pants. On the arms, also, it ends up looking pretty blurry. The ram head logo is decent, but desperately needs a white outline. The interlocking NC will show up better on the arms, though. The overall balance of color looks good on this jersey (a light blue pants option could work), and I like the chest wordmark. However you need to simplify the argyle and really minimize it on the pants, because now it looks gaudy compared to the relatively simplistic design they use now.

Wake is your best effort. Easy upgrade. I like the striping style, I might be wrong but you could have been inspired for my concept for Boise st., it looks fairly similar in overall style. White helmet, weird, but why not, it looks fine. nice concept, I would make 3 minor changes though. First, make the chest wordmark smaller. Second, put gold socks with the alternate. And third, squeeze in the numbers a little horizontally so they arent so vertical.

Duke is the worst. Sorry, I find this horrendous. First, the "horns", well they dont' end up looking like horns, and they end abruptly and awkwardly. The "duke" script is classic looking, but when paired with the modern design...they dont mix well. the jerseys stripes also dont match the pants stripes, they clash. And now the numbers. Oh, the numbers. The numbers are really bad, and I don't know why you made the tonal stripe. Just because Miami does it does not mean Duke should. The two new colors are distracting from the rest of the design, and it brings even more inconsistency to an already inconsistent set. I fail to see how this resembles the basketball team at all.

I really think you should make small tweaks to the first 3, and start over on Duke.

Isn't East Carolina in NC? I'd say that's been a far more significant football program (recently anyway) than Duke.

As for the concepts, I don't like the two-tone numbers on Duke. To that end, I also don't like the double or separated outline on NC State's set.

Other than that, I really like all of them, especially color-wise. The sets are all nicely balanced. I think my favorite thing about all of them though are NC's pants. The argyle stripe is superb.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates!

NC State

Just made the numbers not match the logo, to simplify them.

NCState2.png

UNC

Made the back of the jersey have a sublimated argyle pattern, instead of on the sleeves.

UNC1.png

Wake

Made the stripe on the jersey longer, matched up the colours on the scripts, and jerseys. Also made the home numbers white.

Wake1.png

Duke

Reworked the whole jersey. I got the dual coloured numbers out of there. Then on the design, based it on a type of horn and the Falcons style jersey.

Duke2.png

Hows that?

Archived