best and worst Super Bowl uniform matchups

DHester23

So, with two good looking uniforms in this year's SB, it got me thinking to the top SB ever, in terms of uniforms as well as the worst.

As far as the best, to me it's SB XXXVII with the Raiders (IMO best unis in NFL) and Bucs. SB XXX (Cowboys-Steelers) is a very close 2nd.

The worst-It's hard to say, last year we had one terrible uniform with the Cardinals and a great one with Pittsburgh. SB XXV (Giants-Bills) was pry the worst for me. Neither uniform was bad, and neither was very good IMO.

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For best, another worth throwing in there would be the Bears Colts matchup from a few years ago. I remember a 49ers Bengals match up from my childhood that to my eyes then looked pretty good, as far as the unis looked.

For worst, I think anything on the same field is not going to be done any favors going up against the Seahawks, so the Steelers/Seahawks match up has to be on the list, even though it includes one of the league's classic uniforms. I'd also agree that the Giants/Bills match up was not a good one, not that the uniforms were bad, but just too similar to each other. I have memories of a Broncos 49ers match up that did not look good from my younger years as well.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

...the Steelers/Seahawks match up has to be on the list, even though it includes one of the league's classic uniforms.

Steelers classic uniforms would be anything prior to their font change to Futura. Loved the Super Bowl XIII, XIV, and XV matchups. I still love those old Eagles uniforms with the 419 sleeve stripes. rolleyes.gif

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

The best matchups are when there is a lot of color. Worst is when there is too much white. There is a reason I have a color television. If the Colts blue was a little lighter, I would want both teams to wear their primary uniforms.

10. Rams vs. Patriots (XXXVI)

9. 49ers (light) vs. Bengals (dark) (XVI)

8. Bills vs. Skins (XXVI)

7. Rams vs. Titans (XXIV)

6. Patriots vs. Packers (XXXI)

5. Skins vs. Broncos (XXII)

4. Chargers vs. 49ers (XXIX)

3. Giants vs. Bills (XXV)

2. Cowboys vs. Bills (XXVII, XXVIII)

1. Cowboys vs. Steelers (X, XIII, XXX)

WHAT?!?!?

I actually think this past SuperBowl, Cards n Steelers, was one of the best although others may not agree. I think that the Cardinals very pure red looks really nice against the Steelers' athletic gold, the same happens when the Pack comes to Arizona.

I agree... and I'm in the minority but I think the Cardinals had the much better uniforms in that game.

I actually think this past SuperBowl, Cards n Steelers, was one of the best although others may not agree. I think that the Cardinals very pure red looks really nice against the Steelers' athletic gold, the same happens when the Pack comes to Arizona.

I agree... and I'm in the minority but I think the Cardinals had the much better uniforms in that game.

Agreed.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Damn this is a tough one. What a great topic. To the surprise of no one who knows me around here, I love all the old school match-ups. There really wasn't a bad one in the bunch. I'll be here all day trying to pick just one best and one worst so I am going to go by decades.

60's Best: Chiefs-Vikings

60's Worst: None of them. They all looked great.

70's Best: Dolphins-Vikings (Steelers-Cowboys is just too obvious and I think Miami's best ever uniforms were the early 70's home uniforms.)

70's Worst: Again, not a bad one in the bunch. (Guilty as charged. I'm entirely too "old school")

80's Best: Dolphins-Redskins or Raiders-Redskins

80's Worst: Broncos-Giants. Denver's road uniforms weren't anything special and that Giants look was weak and unoriginal.

90's Best: Cowboys-Steelers

90's Worst: Broncos-Falcons

00's Best: Bears-Colts

00's Worst: Patriots-Eagles (An honorable mention goes to Steelers-Seahawks. Pittsburgh's uniforms weren't enough to offset those horrific Seahawks blue monochromes)

BB52Big.jpg

Archived