Also great and not yet mentioned:

San Fran & San Diego in SB XIX

012909-0544-thursdaymor2.jpg

02.superbowl29.jpg

Chiefs/Packers in SBI and SBII

sb01_coan_medium.jpg

Super-Bowl-I-223x300.jpg

default_exc_leifer_football_04_0810071805_id_176156.jpg

New York vs. New Jersey in SBXXV, hey, how much more coordinated can you get than two teams with identical jerseys?

0128norwoodsmall.jpg

1023_choke_04.jpg

87Redskins.png

Best - COLTS/JETS in SBIII

I HATE that the Niners wore those throwbacks in the Super Bowl. Hell, the throwbacks weren't even accurate 'cause the helmet they wore that year was still current. I don't think alternates or throwbacks should EVER be worn during the playoffs.

6uXNWAo.png

I HATE that the Niners wore those throwbacks in the Super Bowl. Hell, the throwbacks weren't even accurate 'cause the helmet they wore that year was still current. I don't think alternates or throwbacks should EVER be worn during the playoffs.

The Niners had good reason to keep wearing the throwbacks:

The team first donned the 1955 throwback uniforms during their week 3 match against the Los Angeles Rams and the following week at home versus the Saints, with both being wins (coincidentally, these were also the first two games Deion Sanders played after signing as a free-agent with the 49ers). The team then suffered an embarrassing 40-8 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at home wearing their regular uniforms with gold pants, with Steve Young angrily being benched to prevent him getting injured. For the subsequent three games until their BYE week, the team again was scheduled to play games wearing the throwback uniforms with white pants and dropshadows, and all three games resulted in wins. As the 49ers embarked during the following weeks on what would eventually be a 10-game winning streak that ultimately culminated in a Super Bowl XXIX victory, the team (prompted both by the superstition of then coach George Seifert, as well as the preference of players) petitioned the NFL to wear the throwback uniforms for the rest of the season, which was granted. The switch to solid red socks after the team's BYE week in the middle of the season marked this occurrence. In all the 49ers went 15-1 (including the playoffs) wearing the 1955/1994 throwback uniforms, (the only loss being the regular season finale on the road at Minnesota, with the team wearing white jerseys and resting most of their starters for the playoffs). Meanwhile the 49ers went undefeated wearing the red jerseys of the throwback uniform.

I'm 100% biased but it's still great:

SB03b.jpg

Yes, Goalposts still in the front. It amazes me how people didn't think to do simple things like move the goalposts out of the way, put up nets over the glass in hockey or have goalies wear masks, and a whole bunch of other things until people finally said "wait a minute, why didn't we just do this from the get-go?"...

...and yes, I'm well aware the CFL still has them in the front...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The Niners had good reason to keep wearing the throwbacks.....

Doesn't matter what they wore and why. That Niners team woullda blasted the Chargers in that game had they worn togas!

And had the throwbacks actually been been accurate, the '94 49ers would have looked more like this:

rice_sb29.png

6uXNWAo.png

SB03b.jpg

Yes, Goalposts still in the front. It amazes me how people didn't think to do simple things like move the goalposts out of the way, put up nets over the glass in hockey or have goalies wear masks, and a whole bunch of other things until people finally said "wait a minute, why didn't we just do this from the get-go?"...

If memory serves, the goal posts weren't moved to the back of the end zone for safety reasons. It was part of an effort to increase scoring and get more touchdowns and less field goals. I think it happened the same season that the kickoff was moved from the 40 to the 35 and the same season that the 5 yard rule on hitting a receiver and the interference penalty were changed.

It was a long time ago so my memory is a little hazy but I'm 90% sure the goal posts were moved back to cut down on field goals.

BB52Big.jpg

SB03b.jpg

If memory serves, the goal posts weren't moved to the back of the end zone for safety reasons. It was part of an effort to increase scoring and get more touchdowns and less field goals. I think it happened the same season that the kickoff was moved from the 40 to the 35 and the same season that the 5 yard rule on hitting a receiver and the interference penalty were changed.

It was a long time ago so my memory is a little hazy but I'm 90% sure the goal posts were moved back to cut down on field goals.

This is most probably true.

I know that field goals used to be the primary goal of football back in the 1890s and early 1900s. Field goals used to be worth as much as eight points, then it was cut to five, then four and then finally three. Touchdowns, up until the 1920s or so, used to be worth two points and were basically considered a last resort if you couldn't kick a field goal.

Funny how today, it's exactly the opposite. I know the CFL and AFL do encourage longer field goals (50+ yards) by making those worth four points instead of three, something I think should actually be adopted into the NFL.

Doesn't matter what they wore and why. That Niners team woullda blasted the Chargers in that game had they worn togas!

And had the throwbacks actually been been accurate, the '94 49ers would have looked more like this:

rice_sb29.png

I think the Niners had a red helmet with a white (or silver) stripe on it for the 1955 uniforms:

57ttittle326.jpg

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I know that field goals used to be the primary goal of football back in the 1890s and early 1900s. Field goals used to be worth as much as eight points, then it was cut to five, then four and then finally three. Touchdowns, up until the 1920s or so, used to be worth two points and were basically considered a last resort if you couldn't kick a field goal.

Funny how today, it's exactly the opposite. I know the CFL and AFL do encourage longer field goals (50+ yards) by making those worth four points instead of three, something I think should actually be adopted into the NFL.

You sure about that? Doesn't make much sense, since then a guy who breaks a long run would have to intentionally ground himself in front of the goal line so that his team could attempt a field goal. I realize that kickers weren't nearly as good then as they are now, but I can't imagine that they would punish an offense for being too good.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You sure about that? Doesn't make much sense, since then a guy who breaks a long run would have to intentionally ground himself in front of the goal line so that his team could attempt a field goal. I realize that kickers weren't nearly as good then as they are now, but I can't imagine that they would punish an offense for being too good.

The equivalent of a 'touchdown' in Rugby is still called a 'try'. I think I am right in saying that in the early history of the game a 'try' meant that you had earned a free kick at the goal. (You would get some points for the try, but the goal was worth as much as the try). I wonder if it was something similar in Football? The touchdown would earn you the best kick at goal which would win you the points? Through time the oddness of rewarding the after thought of the kick more than the goal of scoring the try or touchdown changed made people who ran the games reassess what the primary goal of the game was, perhaps?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Too many bests for me to list all, but the match ups I like most are:

V Dallas Blue vs Colts White

XII Dallas and Denver,

XXVII and XVIII Dallas vs Bills

XXXII Denver vs Green Bay

To me the worsts were:

XXII Denver vs Washington (orange, light blue, burgandy and yellow...ick)

XXXIX New England vs Philadelphia

So what would the worst possible Superbowl Uniform match up be?

If the Seahawks are the home team, for me it would be the Seahawks against the Jaguars. If the NFC are in white, then it might be the Cardinals against the Jaguars.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

SB03b.jpg

I think there was some rule about a pass hitting the goal post became a safety or a touchback or something silly. Also, I think the college game has always had the goal posts at the back of the end zone. Not 100% sure though.

iq5b7nF.png

rice_sb29.png

I think the Niners had a red helmet with a white (or silver) stripe on it for the 1955 uniforms:

57ttittle326.jpg

I don't think the Niners were trying to reflect the 1955 49ers -- or if so they were WAY off.

The '55 jerseys have sleeve stripes and silver pants. Much different from what the '94 Niners wore.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived