Phoenix Suns Re-Brand

bohob

I decided to scrap my wizard and start this new. It's a logo concept for the Phoenix Suns. It's somewhat inspired by Shumway's, with the sunburst and all. I also wanted to bring the Suns into the unified red that the other Arizona teams sport. The typeface is a modified version of Staubach. C&C please!

suns_primary.jpg

I like everything so far aside from the fact you dropped the purple, a color that's been in their history for years.

I realized people might say that, but with the Lakers and Kings in the same division also using purple, I figured it should be dropped.

i like how the basketball lines are very faint within the sun, but I think you could have used a different part of the ball to show more lines, still being suttle and using the exact same style though. here i dont think it portrays a basketball as accurately as it could. also consider changing the font for PHOENIX. this one seems too thin compared to the thickness in the rest of the logo.

This is pretty cool even without the purple. I like the font. At first I thought the font/outline was too busy, but it reminds me of the actual sun so it works.

The sun part of the logo seems like too much for my tastes. You have the basketball, the rays, the red outline, and the Star Wars imperial logo that is supposed to mimic the arizona flag. What if you eliminated one or two of these?

Great job on these, nice update.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I keep seeing a poker chip instead of the sun.

Same here. That said, I really like the whole visual style of this. I love the colors, and have no problem with losing the purple. I'm also a big fan of the desert feel, especially the way the outlines on "SUNS" make it vibrate, like a mirage. Good stuff.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I like everything so far aside from the fact you dropped the purple, a color that's been in their history for years.

I realized people might say that, but with the Lakers and Kings in the same division also using purple, I figured it should be dropped.

Yes, but the Kings have changed to that color and the Lakers changed into that division, so why did the Suns have to lose it?

Yes, but the Kings have changed to that color and the Lakers changed into that division, so why did the Suns have to lose it?

First off, there are few teams with a stronger brand than the Lakers, if any, so they get dibs. And I think purple is more important to the Kings concept-wise because purple has been the color of royalty for thousands of years. Since, a sun generally draws a viewer to think of orange and yellow, and not necessarily purple, it wasn't a dealbreaker to not have it IMO.

First off, there are few teams with a stronger brand than the Lakers, if any, so they get dibs. And I think purple is more important to the Kings concept-wise because purple has been the color of royalty for thousands of years. Since, a sun generally draws a viewer to think of orange and yellow, and not necessarily purple, it wasn't a dealbreaker to not have it IMO.

I can respect that, but couldn't you make the argument that the Kings should be gold so to take that away from the Wizards?

I can respect that, but couldn't you make the argument that the Kings should be gold so to take that away from the Wizards?

They're on opposite sides of the country and aren't division rivals, so I wouldn't make that argument.

Nice work on the logo, but Im getting a Rockets vibe from this...purple and orange will always be Suns colors.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

...purple and orange will always be Suns colors.

I'm sure that in the real world, we would be resigned to this fact. But this is bohob's rebrand. He's approaching this from a new perspective and giving us something to think about. So we should all do the same. If the designer makes a serious effort to completely rebrand an identity, then we should judge it on its merits, not judge it based on what we feel it should be. I feel confident that, in reality, the Suns would never rebrand without purple. But here, bohob has given us a great example of what the Suns could be without purple. And I think we should respond based on that.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Thanks, dgn. I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm back with an update. Jaha, I tried a few other seems, but I wasn't digging them, I'll keep working at it. Undead, I removed the red ring, and I think that helps with the poker chip vibe. I also made the ball smaller, thus elongating the rays. I have also added a yellow outline to the whole thing to tie it together. Hopefully it's an improvement. C&C please.

suns_primary2.jpg

I, too, like this concept, but I still see the poker chip in the primary and secondary. I think the primary could be improved by extending the yellow parts of the poker chip to the edges of the rays (a la Arizona state flag).

SBIflag.gif

I think the ball-lines on the secondary could be a little bit longer, giving the middle of it more shape, so it doesn't look flat like a poker chip. I love the tertiary, though.

I think the problem here is that you are trying to depict two types of rays. You have the Miami Dolphin type rays on the outside and rays like the Arizona flag on the inside. I would either extend the interior rays to the edges, or just use one type. That way I think it may lose the poker chip resemblence.

Overall, though, it's a great start! I like the tertiary but I think the bird is a bit geometric.

Archived