Phoenix Suns Re-Brand

bohob

UPDATE TIME!

I have extended the rays on the primary to avoid the poker chip feel some were getting from this. I kept the circle on the secondary because it needed some red, and I think it works in defining the shape. I have also arched the phoenix in the tertiary and developed a stand alone phoenix as a quarternary logo. C&C please.

suns_logos2.jpg

i was thinking what might look cool is, in the 4th logo... inside the wings, you could silhouette SUNS inside. Instead of making "feathers" with the orange strips in the wings, orientate them so it gives the hint of feathers, but spells SUNS.

It's hard for me to explain, so i hope you understand what i was trying to spit out.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The white outline of the ball on the sun makes it look like a football logo to me. And yes, I'll agree that the secondary logo looks like a poker chip. Maybe go with a full basketball inside the sun?

This is what a poker chip looks like. As you can see the alternating bars are only around the edge. My secondary logo has the rays covering the majority of the circle. There is a significant difference in the proportions of solid circle to rays that is not even close to that of a poker chip.

Remove the red circle and the and the orange sunbursts from the secondary to make it look like you just removed the wordmark from the primary. In order to make the center stand out more like a basketball, utilize the same perspective from the current Suns logo... that would also keep some of the tradition and look like an update of the current rather than a completely new imagining.

Remove the red circle and the and the orange sunbursts from the secondary to make it look like you just removed the wordmark from the primary. In order to make the center stand out more like a basketball, utilize the same perspective from the current Suns logo... that would also keep some of the tradition and look like an update of the current rather than a completely new imagining.

I think you're missing the point. This is a completely new imagining. The basketball aspect of this is supposed to be subtle and it's a sun before anything else. There is no point for me to re-hash the current logo.

I know what a poker chip looks like. Your logo reminds me of a poker chip. You showing me a poker chip isn't going to change my first impression. And I agree with TCRagnar. I realize that you are going in a new direction here, but it doesn't hurt to has some elements that throw back to the old logo.

I know what a poker chip looks like. Your logo reminds me of a poker chip. You showing me a poker chip isn't going to change my first impression. And I agree with TCRagnar. I realize that you are going in a new direction here, but it doesn't hurt to has some elements that throw back to the old logo.

I can't help but agree with that statement. What you have now just looks too washed out and unappealing. It's just ok to me. You need some contrast for sure, the red, orange and yellow just blend into each other and makes this look dull. I'd throw purple back in there, no doubt. Or, another suggestion, turn the red into burghandy and maybe make the orange more reddish. Again just a thought, you don't have to follow it.

I can't help but agree with that statement. What you have now just looks too washed out and unappealing. It's just ok to me. You need some contrast for sure, the red, orange and yellow just blend into each other and makes this look dull. I'd throw purple back in there, no doubt. Or, another suggestion, turn the red into burghandy and maybe make the orange more reddish. Again just a thought, you don't have to follow it.

This is why color advice is so tricky. I don't know what it looks like on your monitor. When you say it's washed out, is it that you are seeing straight red with orange and yellow? Because on my monitor, which is calibrated, I have cardinal/brick red (which is only about 1-2 shades lighter than full-on burgundy), pumpkin orange (a deeper orange with a slight reddish hue, and athletic gold. If I changed my colors every time someone said there was an issue, I would constantly be changing my palette. Is your monitor calibrated? I think that's the first question.

UPDATE #4

I have on more than one occasion explained my thoughts on the use of purple in this concept. Please refer to those. I have updated the seams of the basketball. The ball uses a more obvious seem pattern, hopefully eliminating the "football look". I have also positioned the new seam pattern on the secondary. I still contend that with my earlier revisions in the proportions of the rays and ball to each other, the ball is simply too small to accurately depict something that looks like a poker chip. I hope the more obvious seams eliminate the guesswork into what the center (and by extension, the rest of the logo) is. I have also eliminated the PHX logo because I wasn't using it.

suns_logos3.jpg

Now onto the the uniforms. I used the juxtaposition of orange and yellow that the logo uses to give the uniforms that "hot" look. The secondary appears above the NOB, while the phoenix is used on the left leg of the shorts. The alternates have a throwback feel with the suns around the numbers and on the shorts.

suns_unis.jpg

suns_alt.jpg

C&C please.

This is why color advice is so tricky. I don't know what it looks like on your monitor. When you say it's washed out, is it that you are seeing straight red with orange and yellow? Because on my monitor, which is calibrated, I have cardinal/brick red (which is only about 1-2 shades lighter than full-on burgundy), pumpkin orange (a deeper orange with a slight reddish hue, and athletic gold. If I changed my colors every time someone said there was an issue, I would constantly be changing my palette. Is your monitor calibrated? I think that's the first question.

Yes it is calibrated, and I do see the same colors you do. Maybe it's because I work with mostly different colors, but I don't see much contrast, and that's probably why it looks washed out (washed out being too close of color shades to be definititve from one another, that's what I mean). But then again, everything is differnet from anothers' perspective, and that could be the case here.

Updated logos look nice. I think the primary is vastly improved. Sorry to say, I was one who couldn't help seeing a poker chip, but that's been remedied nicely. The uniforms look pretty solid. I really like the large sections of orange and yellow on the top of the jersey and the bottom of the pants. The alternate also has a nice faux-throwback sort of feel.

Congrats on doing a very original set for the Suns and seeing it through.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived