Super Bowl XLV Logo

sonks

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no doubt in my mind that Jerry Jones had EVERYTHING to do with the selection of logo. It's got HIS STADIUM in it for God's sake!

If the NFL had it their way, they would have used something extremely similar to the SB42 Arizona logo, only using blue, sliver, and the Lone Star State as an outline -- which would have made a MUCH better logo than the one they went with.

So next year when Lucas Oil Stadium in in the background of basically the same logo, will it still be Jerry's fault?

This is all NFL, Curtis.

Okay, so I didn't have time to read the rest of the story until just now.... "My bad."

Still, I really dislike this idea. No more originality. Boooooo!

6uXNWAo.png

So it sounds to me that it won't necessarily be the stadium venue that will be in the logo, but something indicative of the area. Meaning that Miami could have palm trees, Tampa Bay could have a stylized Sunshine Skyway Bridge (a la Super Bowl XXXIX), Indianapolis could have something involving the Speedway (for example; there may be something more iconic, but I'm not too familiar with Indy). Jones and company would, of course, choose to include his new baby in their version of the logo.

I think that the NFL is simply doing what the CFL has been doing the last few seasons with their Grey Cup logo. Have a basic template with the trophy and font and work around it. http://sportslogos.net/team.php?id=1117

We'll have to wait and see what next year's Super Bowl logo will look like to see what kind of trend the NFL is setting.

The only difference is that the Canadian Football League had the smarts to remember the crayons. The Grey Cup logos look good because they have better designs than what you would expect from a EA Sports designer.

I'm still on the fence about this logo, but then again, I only found out about it a couple of hours ago. Maybe it's just me, but my initial reaction to it is that it reflects another "ultimate fantasy" of Jerry Jones - that of the Dallas Cowboys hosting, and winning, a Super Bowl on their home turf. Not that that's a bad thing (that is, if you're the ultimate Cowboys fan), but it just smacks of Jones trying his hardest to attain some kind of NFL godhood, for lack of a better term.

I'm sure it'll grow on me in time.

--Larry

I wouldn't hate this thing so much if it was for this year. Yes, it's dull, uncreative, and awkward (too vertical in my opinion). That by itself isn't the kiss of death. You're going to have your bad Super Bowl logo here and there right?

It's the fact that this is basically going to be the Super Bowl logo from now on, with a different stadium and number arrangement that gets me. A boring and awkward logo for one season is fine. For the foreseeable future though? e215076.png

I'm still on the fence about this logo, but then again, I only found out about it a couple of hours ago. Maybe it's just me, but my initial reaction to it is that it reflects another "ultimate fantasy" of Jerry Jones - that of the Dallas Cowboys hosting, and winning, a Super Bowl on their home turf. Not that that's a bad thing (that is, if you're the ultimate Cowboys fan), but it just smacks of Jones trying his hardest to attain some kind of NFL godhood, for lack of a better term.

I'm sure it'll grow on me in time.

--Larry

I would tend to agree with you if this design was just for this year, but it isn't. This is the new Super Bowl logo from now on. They'll just change the stadium and the numerals for each new season. So it's really the NFL's fault, not Jerry Jones'.

JQK i took your version and made some edits, just messing around trying to get it so it didnt tak eup so much vertical space and added some color. not meant to be fancy, just looking for a better balance, but i think the changes upgrades it a bit

ic8w9x.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

According to reports, the Lombardi trophy itself will change from year to year:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The Vince Lombardi trophy will be a permanent fixture on Super Bowl logos from now on.

The trophy itself will get a new regional look, depending on where the game is played.

The changes were announced Thursday when the NFL unveiled the new logo in conjunction with the North Texas Super Bowl host committee.

At next year's Super Bowl in Dallas, the silver winner's trophy will also display a silver model of Cowboys Stadium. The NFL says it created a national logo -- without the stadium -- and a regional one with it.

Though the trophy will remain on future logos, the stadiums will change with each host.

Words cannot express what a terrible idea this is. The Lombardi Trophy's brilliance is in its simplicity. I can't believe they're considering monkeying with it.

This was my immediate reaction upon reading that:

A piece of me has died today.

galaxy.png

This logo is just another in a long list of signs that Roger Goodell is an idiot.

One of the great things about the Super Bowl is the logo and how it often takes on the identity of the city its being played in.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Wow, so it looks like a penis.

Hopefully not any of ours. I don't wish a semi-detached and angled glans on even my worst CCLSC enemies.

Take it from someone who knows penises...

That does not look like one.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Pretty much everyone thinks this wouldn't be so bad if it was just for one year. I fall into that category. I just hope the NFL learns the error of their ways before this thing gets to SB 50. There should be a new logo every year. There is just no other way of doing it in my opinion.

Wow, so it looks like a penis.

Hopefully not any of ours. I don't wish a semi-detached and angled glans on even my worst CCLSC enemies.

Take it from someone who knows penises...

That does not look like one.

HAHA! I laughed out loud when I read this!

First off, holy crap. Not a holy crap to the logo, but to the gross overreaction to this. Goodness. Take a bag and breathe.

panic.jpg

To be honest, I like the new logo. I like it a helluva lot more than XLII or XLIII, and would put it slightly behind XL and XLIV.

Let me try to put some minds at ease right now. First, Someone tell me what is the primary color of the Dallas Cowboys? Silver? Ok, that's what I thought.

Secondly, what is the crown jewel of the Cowboys franchise right now? It sure ain't Tony Romo. How about their brand new, billion dollar play pen? Yeah, maybe that's why they wanted it in the logo...

Thirdly, give the Super Bowl XLVI hosts a chance to come up with the logo before you scream and shout and rip your clothes. They NFL said that they would allow each host to customize the logo for their own region. By customize, is it that big of a stretch to assume that the colors are also customizable? And do you really think EVERY HOST CITY will want their stadium in the background? No. Really, the only 2 continuous parts of will be the trophy and the font in my mind...

Fourth and finally, the gradient version will only be used on TV graphics and print. Everything on the field will use the toned down version you see on the ball.

Thirdly, give the Super Bowl XLVI hosts a chance to come up with the logo before you scream and shout and rip your clothes. They NFL said that they would allow each host to customize the logo for their own region. By customize, is it that big of a stretch to assume that the colors are also customizable? And do you really think EVERY HOST CITY will want their stadium in the background? No. Really, the only 2 continuous parts of will be the trophy and the font in my mind...

How kind of you to presume that we are spouting off without reading any of the facts.

According to ESPN mobile:

There is a new logo for every Super Bowl, but starting wit hthe 2011 Super Bowl, the theme of the logo will remain basically the same. The only differences from year to year are the stadium backdrop and the Roman numerals for the game.

That is, in my opinion, a bad idea. This is a passable logo at best in its flat incarnation, a terrible logo in all its gradience.

It's not the lack of color that bothers me per se, it's that the uniqueness of each Super Bowl logo has been tossed aside in favor of a one-size-fits-all template. That it is a lousy template is almost beside the point.

Archived