Super Bowl XLV Logo

sonks

Not even the logo-averse Olympics make every organizing committee fit a template.

Judging by the 2012 and 2014 Olympic logos, I think the organising committees can screw up the logos on their own...

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I too look forward to viewing each year's SB logo, I'm not against the idea of standardizing the thing. In a way, it gives kids something to work toward - picture a little 8-year old saying "my dream is to put that silver trophy patch on my jersey and play in the super bowl". The patch could eventually grow to really represent something. That being said, I don't think that this design was really the way to go (though I do like incorporating the trophy into it), and the stadium idea is really, really, really, dumb. Really dumb.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To me, the addition of the stadium to the logo is a nice little nod-and-wink to the NFL's recent approach of "rewarding" cities and states that pass stadium initiatives with the Super Bowl. Remember when the NFL tied to use the lure of the Super Bowl to get the Hunts thier retractable roof in Kansas City? It's no coincident that the next two Super Bowls are being held in two brand new stadiums (Jerry World and Lucas Oil,) followed by one in the recently-renovated Super Dome, with the possibility of another in the new Meadowlands Stadium to follow.

They won't have the Super Bowl in an Outdoor venue that's in a cold weather city.

The Giants/Jets got special exemptions to bid for the game. They are on the list, my friend.

Hmmm wow didn't know that then I hope they win the right to host it.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The Super Bowl XLV logo in Madden 10 is very nice, IMO. Can't find any pics though.

Not a pic, but you can kinda see it in this video.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZeU8kRnwzjA

Somewhat difficult to tell, but I believe it's 'XLV' plastered over the Lone Star State. Couldn't really distinguish the colors though.

Yea that's exactly what it is.

It's red, blue, silver, and white; i believe.

I brought my Brownies to the Super Bowl vs. the Falcons [2 teams that have never made the Super Bowl.]

And we won haha.

This is the season after I made Andy Reid my headcoach, Crennel my D-Cor., and Terry Robiskie my O-Cor.

Picked up Mike Jenkins that same off-season, as well as Lance Moore, and Leon Washington.

Ended up trading Shaun Rodgers to the Panthers for Jon Stewart. Also ended up trading for Mike Wallace, and Malcolm Jenkins.

Basically I traded half the team, picked up a bunch of guys, and Mike Vick is back to prominence. haha.

But that's way off topic, sorry about that.

http://en.wikipedia....per_Bowl_XXXIII

That's what I get for listening to Madden 10's 'Extra Point' show. hah.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Ever notice how when threads like these come up, ColorWerx doesn't post in them? :)

The SB XLV logo has been available to the ultra, uber-secret society of logo afficianados since the summer (or perhaps even early spring). But under penalty of death, you won't hear anything from anyone until that SB program hits the public in a few days.

Yeah, it's already been printed out on ColorWerx's desk, crumbled corners, a coffee ring, under a stack of post-it notes, for months now :lol:

Oh, there isn't ANY coffee of any kind in our household...my wife and I are part of the one percent of the Earth's population that finds coffee and all coffee-related products absolutely disgusting.

:P

Me too.....but I love the smell of freshly brewed coffee for some strange reason, especially the flavored coffees....wow, that's a mouthful.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Um, with apologies to those who "dumbed down" the logo already (not that you are dumb, but the idea itself is dumbed down), I decided to see if I could manage to get all of the official colors from a particular sports team into the following. Thanks in advance to D at ssur.org for the NFL color templates.

<sarcasm>Now, see if you can guess which team it is?</sarcasm>

SB45DalCowColors.PNG

My point here is simply that the colors don't kill the logo, but they do kinda become an afterthought to the entire monstrosity of the trophy itself. Something of the uniqueness has been lost. And that is why the switch to non-unique colors/designs for the Super Bowl logo is such a bummer......

To quote a famous radio host: "...demonstrating absurdity by being <even more> absurd..."

It's not clear from what I've read so far that the Lombardi Trophy will be changed every year.

Given what the NFL has done to the Super XLV logo, if they do change the trophy, I'm not optimistic they will do a good job. The obvious solution would be to make the base the stadium building and have the shaft rise from that.

Changing the trophy, though is not inherently a bad thing. The Hugo Award in science fiction has a standard rocket design, but each host committee designs the base. This has resulted in some interesting designs. The usual award is maybe slightly taller than an Oscar. The 1988 committee in New Orleans decided the base should be a trail of rocket exhaust which resulted in a three foot tall trophy.

After a stadium has hosted more than one Super Bowl henceforth, maybe the base could have some local flavor once the stadium idea has been exhausted. Just to throw some ideas, after the Superdome, a New Orleans trophy could rise out of a wrought-iron fence property, a relief map of the city or a colony of pelicans.

To me, the addition of the stadium to the logo is a nice little nod-and-wink to the NFL's recent approach of "rewarding" cities and states that pass stadium initiatives with the Super Bowl. Remember when the NFL tied to use the lure of the Super Bowl to get the Hunts thier retractable roof in Kansas City? It's no coincident that the next two Super Bowls are being held in two brand new stadiums (Jerry World and Lucas Oil,) followed by one in the recently-renovated Super Dome, with the possibility of another in the new Meadowlands Stadium to follow.

They won't have the Super Bowl in an Outdoor venue that's in a cold weather city.

The Giants/Jets got special exemptions to bid for the game. They are on the list, my friend.

Hmmm wow didn't know that then I hope they win the right to host it.

Kansas City was awarded one, too (in 2005, I think), but now that I think about it, I believe it was contingent upon Jackson County building some sort of climate controlled roof around Arrowhead, which did not pass with the voters. Thus, Kansas City is off the list at current.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

There are multiple versions of this logo which are separated by "National" and "Regional" versions...the National version has the trophy without the stadium; Regional includes it.

There are also two other versions for embroidery use - one that contains five shades of Gray for patches over 4 inches in height, and another one that contains four Grays for under 4 inches in height.

There are multiple versions of this logo which are separated by "National" and "Regional" versions...the National version has the trophy without the stadium; Regional includes it.

There are also two other versions for embroidery use - one that contains five shades of Gray for patches over 4 inches in height, and another one that contains four Grays for under 4 inches in height.

<Jerry Jones> Who cares about standardization? I have a billion dollar stadium now.....</Jerry Jones>

Here's a quick mockup of what I think they would have gone with had they not standardized it. I tried to incorporate trends from recent logos.

lolz. I'm sure they would have gone with your drawing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's a quick mockup of what I think they would have gone with had they not standardized it. I tried to incorporate trends from recent logos.

Relax buddy. I meant that the logo would be similar to what I did-- hence "mockup". Based on the past couple of logos, one can make a pretty reasonable guess about what things the logo might have included-- a state outline, stars, block and drop shadowed Roman Numerals, for example. As generic as the new logo is, the previous ones haven't exactly been revolutionary.

Relax buddy. I meant that the logo would be similar to what I did-- hence "mockup". Based on the past couple of logos, one can make a pretty reasonable guess about what things the logo might have included-- a state outline, stars, block and drop shadowed Roman Numerals, for example. As generic as the new logo is, the previous ones haven't exactly been revolutionary.

I am going to assume that you haven't seen the past couple of logos. Every single thing you mentioned was not included in any of them (except for the state outline in the AZ super bowl.)

I am going to assume that you haven't seen the past couple of logos. Every single thing you mentioned was not included in any of them (except for the state outline in the AZ super bowl.)

Uhh, I don't think this is really an argument worth having, but I am going to assume you haven't seen the logos as well (even though I know that's a ridiculous and completely baseless statement). You having to qualify your statement seems to undermine your argument. And if Arizona, a state with an indistinct shape, makes a logo with its shape I would say its quite reasonable that Texas, which has a very famous shape, would use it in the logo.

There are red and blue stars in all of the past five logos used in a similar manner to mine.

And in XLIV, XLII, XLI, and XL's logos, block-drop shadow Roman numerals are used.

So I'm not really sure what there is to be argued here. I know my mockup is not very good. It was done in thirty minutes in Inkscape. I did it out of boredom and then decided I'd add it here, seeing how there is about five pages of rage at the actual one. I thought I fit pretty well with the aesthetic of previous Super Bowls and I may have failed. But I feel your comments are unwarranted and rather condescending.

Archived