Super Bowl XLV Logo

sonks

I'm not surprised the NFL would use a standard template for the Super Bowl but I am surprised that they would use this one. It's entirely too vertical to be used in some small applications and the lack of regional colors used in previous logos is a serious downgrade, in my opinion. And, the quote from the guy in the article talking about 45 seemed to be natural place to start with this is pure BS. Super Bowl 50 would be the natural place to introduce a standard template and start using Arabic numbers instead of Roman numerals.

I really don't think starting this at 45 or 50 makes a whole lot of difference. I mean, yes, it'd be nice to see the unique Super Bowl logos get finished out through the 40s, but obviously, things are going to be different from #45 on, and that's that.

Not to mention 45 (XLV) and 50 (L) both share a common "L," anyway, so I don't see any harm in standardizing the design now.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn it, Dallas, it's bad enough the Superbowl is going to be played in that ugly stadium but you also have to include it in the logo that's going to appear on that greasy-looking field (I swear that field appears to be coated in Crisco whenever my TV has the displeasure of having it onscreen)?

Not to mention the obvious over compensating of the very, very phallic trophy. It looks like an ad for JerryDome: Home of the Colossal Penis.

im not at all against having all logos from now on take on a unified look, or even a template as it appears to be. i just wish that "template" was a better design. the silhouette of it looks like a big penis. surely they will add color to the printed and web versions? the silver should just be used on the ball or in any one color situation

i hope they dont screw up the Lombardi trophy design too much. any changes should be very subtle, like engravings or some color. and going by their logo "template" i would guess thats the case or close to it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

sb45.jpg

Terrible just Terrible the logo looks so lifeless just encrusted in silver should at least have some color maybe a little blue.

You know, now that I see it without the gradients, I'm thinking it still sucks. Just less so.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

According to reports, the Lombardi trophy itself will change from year to year:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The Vince Lombardi trophy will be a permanent fixture on Super Bowl logos from now on.

The trophy itself will get a new regional look, depending on where the game is played.

The changes were announced Thursday when the NFL unveiled the new logo in conjunction with the North Texas Super Bowl host committee.

At next year's Super Bowl in Dallas, the silver winner's trophy will also display a silver model of Cowboys Stadium. The NFL says it created a national logo -- without the stadium -- and a regional one with it.

Though the trophy will remain on future logos, the stadiums will change with each host.

Words cannot express what a terrible idea this is. The Lombardi Trophy's brilliance is in its simplicity. I can't believe they're considering monkeying with it.

According to reports, the Lombardi trophy itself will change from year to year:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The Vince Lombardi trophy will be a permanent fixture on Super Bowl logos from now on.

The trophy itself will get a new regional look, depending on where the game is played.

The changes were announced Thursday when the NFL unveiled the new logo in conjunction with the North Texas Super Bowl host committee.

At next year's Super Bowl in Dallas, the silver winner's trophy will also display a silver model of Cowboys Stadium. The NFL says it created a national logo -- without the stadium -- and a regional one with it.

Though the trophy will remain on future logos, the stadiums will change with each host.

Words cannot express what a terrible idea this is. The Lombardi Trophy's brilliance is in its simplicity. I can't believe they're considering monkeying with it.

I wonder if that was a mistake and it meant to say "The logo itself will get a new regional look, depending on where the game is played." All though I've seen it said like that in multiple articles. I just don't really know what that means. How can you change the trophy?

Indeed. The only really interesting question is whether this is the worst design and branding decision by a major sports league in American history. I think it might be. To take the distinctive event graphics of the Super Bowl and render them standardized, but then take the standardized icon of the trophy and change it from year to year just boggles the mind. I kind of thought you had to be a European Olympics bureaucrat to made sports logo decisions that idiotic.

20082614447.png

"At next year's Super Bowl in Dallas, the silver winner's trophy will also display a silver model of Cowboys Stadium. The NFL says it created a national logo -- without the stadium -- and a regional one with it."

Yeah guys, they are changing the Lombardi Trophy. This is terrible.

This is no surprise at all. Of course Jerry would do something douchey by making the stadium a part of the Super Bowl logo. And I find it to be quite fitting that there is 34097 shades of silver, ala the Cowboys. This is total crap! :angered::cursing::angered:

Love it how Jerry Jones gets the blame ... this is the NFL's idea, not Jones'! Jeeez, take a deep breath, will ya?!!

There's no doubt in my mind that Jerry Jones had EVERYTHING to do with the selection of logo. It's got HIS STADIUM in it for God's sake!

If the NFL had it their way, they would have used something extremely similar to the SB42 Arizona logo, only using blue, sliver, and the Lone Star State as an outline -- which would have made a MUCH better logo than the one they went with.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived