Who Dat Say Dey Gonna Sue Dem 'Who Dats'?

BlueSky

'Who Dat?' is a really stupid thing to say in the first place. It's even dumber that the NFL is claiming rights to it.

You've obviously never heard a Cajun or New Orleans accent (two different things but similar in some respects). That's actually many people there talk. New Orleans has a unique accent and lexicon. A few examples: "makin' groceries" = shopping for food, "lookin' at the TV" = watching television, "silver dime" = 10 cents (never just "dime", always "silver dime"), "neutral ground" = median of a street, "goin' to the show" = out to the movies.

Not arguing your point, just adding context.

I was in the Marine Corps for 6 years with 3 guys from New Orleans. I have also been there on several occasions. So I have obviously heard the accent. But that still doesn't change my mind that the phrase is ridiculous and even more ridiculous that the NFL wants to trademark it.

Hence my statement that I was not arguing your point.

'Who Dat?' is a really stupid thing to say in the first place. It's even dumber that the NFL is claiming rights to it.

You've obviously never heard a Cajun or New Orleans accent (two different things but similar in some respects). That's actually many people there talk. New Orleans has a unique accent and lexicon. A few examples: "makin' groceries" = shopping for food, "lookin' at the TV" = watching television, "silver dime" = 10 cents (never just "dime", always "silver dime"), "neutral ground" = median of a street, "goin' to the show" = out to the movies.

Not arguing your point, just adding context.

I can't speak for anything else you listed, but I can personally attest that the ones I've highlighted are just general southern sayings. They're also used (at least) in Virginia and Georgia respectively.

That said, "N'awlins" definitely has its own unique dialect... possibly the most unique in the entire U.S.

Again, not arguing, but I've lived in Georgia since 2001 and have never heard either of those sayings here. I've also lived in Florida, California, and Texas and never heard them other than during my 17 years in N.O., so that was my basis for saying they're N.O.-speak.

"N'awlins" has to come to be an all-time gear-grinder since if anybody at all in N.O. says it like that, it's a tiny, tiny fraction of the population. That's a media creation by people like Chris Berman. This has been covered in previous threads so I won't go over the various pronunciations again but rest assured, that is NOT the way locals say it.

Another gripe is when TV shows or movies are supposedly set in N.O. but people talk with sugary Gone with the Wind southern accents. NOT authentic and VERY irritating!

Okay, I'm off my soapbox. :D

In other news, the NFL has backed off on their 'Who Dat' crackdown.

Well FWIW, I heard "lookin' at the tv" from my ex from Atlanta and "making groceries" from my Virginia ex. As far as I know, neither of them had ever been to New Orleans.

The Wisconsin media certianly did its part to perpetuate the "N'awlins" sterotype when the Packers played in SB XXXI. I guess I should be more understanding since Garry Marshall's version of Milwaukee has done more damage to our city's image than even Jeffrey Dahmer. Perhaps if he'd bothered to actually step foot in Milwaukee before 2008, he'd know that it's nearly impossible to spend a single day in Milwaukee without running into any people of color, let alone an entire decade. And no one from north of the mason-dixon line would mistake a Milwaukee accent for a Brooklyn accent.

Speaking of accents, Hollywood's Atlanta falls victim to "Gone With The Wind Syndrome" as well. The most egregious case I can come up with off the top of the dome is the girl from Atlanta that Eric dated for a few eps of Boy Meets World.

Ok, check me on this then...when I worked for American Airlines in Tampa we had a direct flight to Milwaukee (AA934, with a stop in Nashville - why do I remember that 23 years later?) so I heard lots of people from there say the city name. One would think it's "Mill-WAW-kee" but they said "Muhwaw-kee", with the first two syllables run together so badly that the name sounded like two syllables instead of three.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Garry Marshall's version of Milwaukee has done more damage to our city's image than even Jeffrey Dahmer.

Even if Milwaukee were universally celebrated as a mecca of black culture, you'd just kvetch that it's ranked below Atlanta and Detroit.

BlueSky: lots of people do say M'waukee, but there's a lot of consolidation in midwestern speech (drawing with crans); it's unrelated to southern/eastern non-rhoticity. "Noorlins" is probably a better approximation. Incidentally, I've lived in the middle west all these 23 years and I have never dropped the L in Milwaukee.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

ummm... sure... I forgot that admiral was a mind-reader... :rolleyes:

The phonetic pronunciation of Milwaukee is definitely "M'waukee." I've argued that "MKE" makes more sense as an abbreviation than "MIL" since no one from here actually pronounces the I or the L.

But if you think that's bad, go a few miles north and they'll find ways to toss o's and y's into the name as in "Mo-waay-kee." Of course, these are the same people who can watch Fargo and not notice an accent.

This just in.

"Who Dat?" is OK, as is gold and black, but no other Saints' logos or references. Thoughts?

You mean as in the heraldic symbol that pre-dates the NFL by at least 800 years? Only in America... :rolleyes:

Well there are plenty of ways to render the FDL other than the one that is used as the Saints' logo.

However, how can using a phrase that is generally accepted to refer to a pro sports team, on a shirt in said sports team's colors, with some rendition of said teams' "official logo" not be considered profiting off of said team's identity? I kind of think that just using the phrase with the colors without even a FDL could technically be considered selling merchandise that could be confused with actual team-licensed apparel, but that's just not a fight worth having - even for the NFL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This just in.

"Who Dat?" is OK, as is gold and black, but no other Saints' logos or references. Thoughts?

You mean as in the heraldic symbol that pre-dates the NFL by at least 800 years? Only in America... :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I see their point...this is ok:

fleur-de-lis.jpg

Because when you see that one, you don't necessarily think 'Saints'. This on the other hand...

New-Orleans-Saints-Logo.gif

Same with the Cowboys, a star is a star until it's royal blue with a double outline.

This just in.

Well there are plenty of ways to render the FDL other than the one that is used as the Saints' logo.

However, how can using a phrase that is generally accepted to refer to a pro sports team, on a shirt in said sports team's colors, with some rendition of said teams' "official logo" not be considered profiting off of said team's identity? I kind of think that just using the phrase with the colors without even a FDL could technically be considered selling merchandise that could be confused with actual team-licensed apparel, but that's just not a fight worth having - even for the NFL.

Actually, in most (if not all) instances, I'd probably agree.

The problem is that the Saints play in a state where the FDL was (and is) woven into the local culture as a sign of civic pride long before they were around... that's one of the reasons, if not THE reason, they put it on their shells. And unlike the Hornets (or AC St. Louis, or Montreal Impact... amongst others) the Saints don't use a rendering of the FDL that's unique to them. It's generic enough that even if someone used an exact scan of the Saints FDL (sans the triple outline), it still couldn't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that it wasn't "inherited" from the robe of a French monarch instead.

If the Saints want to be able to tell people not to use their logo, they need to get one that was actually designed for them first.

The key word in the text that you bolded is with. A generic FDL is one thing. A black and gold FDL, on a team colored shirt, with a phrase used to refer to the team, is infringement in my book.

Also, I've never been to New Orleans, so I might be dead wrong here (and I'm sure that someone will correct me) but I'd bet that the exact shape of the Saints' FDL is unique to them. Not that it's extremely unique, but just that I doubt that a 100% match exists outside of what they use. I'm sure that NFL Properties (or whatever it is now) would have stepped in and made them change it to something they could trademark.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Again, I'm not arguing that the implied connections to the NFL franchise is probably what would sell the t-shirts. But right or wrong, the U.S. legal system works on a basis of "it's not what you know, it's what you can prove." To me, "who dat" plus the FDL and happening to be black & gold still falls reasonably within the realm civic pride to avoid any copyright claims by the Saints. Although we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one.

As far as the shape of the FDL being unique to the Saints... I'm sure the triple outline makes it unique enough to be trademarked in the same way the double outline on the Cowboys star allows that to be trademarked, but really... how many different ways are there to render one? I'm sure that if you told someone that had never seen the Saints logo before to draw a FDL, there's a pretty good chance they'd come up with something that resembled the Saints' version.

The Saints' FDL may not be 100% unique but it's different from the large majority of FDLs you'll see around the city.

What's interesting is how the team itself has used different FDLs. The ones on the helmet in the Dave Boss painting (a concept, since it was done a year before the Saints came into the league), the bobblehead, and even Sir Saint are all different from the ones on the Saints' game helmets (then and now):

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

For a chuckle, note the face value price on the ticket stub from the SB I attended...fifteen bucks! :blink:

BTW, the shade of gold on the bobblehead is what I wish they'd go back to.

Archived