"Dallas Vigilantes" AF1 Team Announces Logo

Ben Schwartz

Wow. Now tha I am somewhere were I can see that image, AWFUL! Just awful. Personally Vigilantes is an ok name but I would have taken the inspiration from the old logo and redid him. Maybe even use the 60's Cowboys logo and call it a day. this is garbage. Doesn't even say sports to me.

You sure this not the name and logo of some motorcycle gang?

Actually, I think it looks like what would be on the back on a suburban dad MC. The type of weekend warrior who would actually buy one of those WWI spike helmets. The kind of SOBs that speed down my street every Saturday thinking they're the Sons of Anarchy.

A lot of money to spend and no taste to limit the damage.

BTW- the bandanna looks a lot like a popped polo collar

Too right.

Notice also that the guns are actually the same image, just flipped. However, a Colt Single Action Army, also famously known as a Colt .45 or the Peacemaker, which is the model that the two guns are, is not left-right symmetrical. Between the cylinder and the hammer, you can see some lines in the sort of half-circle of metal. That's the loading gate, which is only found on the right side of the gun. So the gun on the right shouldn't have the loading gate; the half-circle behind the cylinder should be smooth.

A minor detail, but attention to that kind of detail is the difference between crappy clip-art and actual design.

20082614447.png

This team is a "rebirth" of the Dallas Desperados. From what I have heard, they didn't use the Desperados logo because it included the Cowboys star, and Jerry Jones wasn't going to allow it because he wasn't part of the new ownership group. Still, the name Vigilantes is trash and I don't think the logo is very good either. Doesn't look like a sports logo to me. It looks like the logo for a restaurant that would serve burned chicken tenders.

I know I can't be the only one who read this thinking how the hell is the Despos star anything like the Cowboys star. About the only thing they have in common is that they're both blue... and not even the same shade of blue. Perhaps JJ took some classes at the Al Davis school of "claim that everything that is even tangentally similar to your brand as trademark infingement."

You sure this not the name and logo of some motorcycle gang?

Actually, I think it looks like what would be on the back on a suburban dad MC. The type of weekend warrior who would actually buy one of those WWI spike helmets. The kind of SOBs that speed down my street every Saturday thinking they're the Sons of Anarchy.

Being from the land of Harley-Davidson, I literally LOL'd at this. We know spring has arrived the moment our freeways are clogged up with midlife crisis having executives who are blissfully unaware that their harley helmets, harley jackets, harley pants, harley socks and harley draws mark them as wannabe tough guys and posers. Ironically, they're about the only people in the upper midwest who would actually s**t themselves if they ran into some actual SoA type of bikers.

This was on Arena Fan, which was from a press release from the team.

The logo was developed by Revolution Sports+Entertainment, who retained world-renowned rock-and-roll gig poster artist Mike Martin to create the mark. Martin?s Engine House 13 studios have produced poster art and merchandise designs in support of concerts and entertainment events worldwide for artists such as Bob Dylan, Stone Temple Pilots, Kings of Leon, Rod Stewart, Snoop Dogg, The Black Crowes, Marilyn Manson, The Pretenders, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beck, No Doubt, just to name a few. Martin has also been commissioned to create artwork for the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame.

So there is some real connection to rock and/or roll.

For me, I love the Arena League, but that logo creeps me out. I don't know how comfortable I would feel rooting on this team with the logo, especially since it reminds me of some Mexican gang. It's getting a lot of negative press (well, as much press as an arena team can get), so maybe they can fix it in time, especially since they are stacked in players (in relative terms).

This team is a "rebirth" of the Dallas Desperados. From what I have heard, they didn't use the Desperados logo because it included the Cowboys star, and Jerry Jones wasn't going to allow it because he wasn't part of the new ownership group. Still, the name Vigilantes is trash and I don't think the logo is very good either. Doesn't look like a sports logo to me. It looks like the logo for a restaurant that would serve burned chicken tenders.

This is the splash thing from their site which went up today:

vigilantes.jpg

Look like it sponsored by a Biker gang from Texas! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely horrible. If you going to try to make money off of a league it needs to look professional. The league logo looks like it was made in paint and the name AF1 sounds bad too

still it's a cool sport and wish Minneapolis had a team!!!

10 out of 9 AF1 fans disagree. Ok - that's overstating it a bit. There are a lot WORSE things they could have come up with. The name, for one is an excellent name. To my knowledge, it's never been used before for a pro sports team in Texas (and the entire, U.S., I think). The logo probably could stand to be cleaned up a bit, but that's a nitpick. I bet it will look killer (pun intended) on the side of a jet black helmet.

Just my 2 cents.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

TEXAS STYLE JUSTICE

That means members of the opposing team will be executed on a regular basis.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 1 month later...

Let's go ahead count the number of things that can be 'frowned upon' with this logo....

1. A Gun

2. Another gun

3. A human skull

4. A bullet hole in it's head

5. The Texas state flag

All its missing is a line of coke underneath it's nose and a dead hooker in the back ground and I think it would be completely offensive. :)

Archived