Utah Jazz Re-Brand

bohob

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd think (like mentioned) turning the saxophone towards the viewer would make the concept 100% better. Right now, there seems to be an awkward turn or crash of perspective where the saxophone and text meet.

This is the 2nd time you beat me to an NBA concept this month! :D (Hopefully you're not gonna crank out the Kings this week)

I really, really like this. The perspective is a bit off on the Sax, as others have mentioned, but I don't think a whole lot of tweaking needs to be done (you may even be able to pull it off just by changing the highlights/shadows a bit). Otherwise, there's not a whole lot I dislike about this. Great job!

This is a big upgrade. I don't think it needs the mountains, but it does make it more "Utah". I would work on the perspective a bit. I can't put my finger on it but on the primary it just looks off.

Overall very nice work, and I'll echo the sentiment that the only thing that would make it truly perfect would be for it to say "New Orleans" rather than Utah.

UPDATE #1

I've re-worked the primary. I've decreased the ball and made the mountains bigger. I have also re-worked the saxophone. I re-drew it to get the perspective right. The secondary is also updated accordingly. C&C please.

jazz_logos4.jpg

I echo the reaction towards this concept. It's great. You picked the right colors and meshed the eras, name, city together well. However for a bit of advice, you should probably have the sax lean to the right to match up with the reset of the wordmark (it kinda looks like it's running away from the other three letters) and then put the mountains over the wordmark instead of being next to the sax.Also the blue area in the sax looks weird.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Fantastic update.

The J-ball-note is definitely not getting enough love here. nice job improving on the actual one.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

i like the sax and the colors... but i think the Saxophone with the main logo is a bit TOO much. I think if it is JUST the Sax as the J in JAZZ, it would work better as a word mark... but with the bottom of the basketball, the mountains and Utah... it just really gets to be way too much.

the mountains need some help, but other than that, i think you are on the right track though.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Here's the thing...

While it certainly looks great while displayed on paper or on a monitor, it's important to remember that these colors are intended to represent a team and be worn by professional athletes. I really think that it's a weak combination (weak as in not powerful, not that your concept or execution is weak.) Part of what made the classic Jazz uniforms good (for their time) was the power in the colors - the contrast of the purple and yellow, and the purple right up against the white without any kind of intermediary color serving as a buffer.

While the trend in the NBA (and pro sports in general) is to design more for merchandise purposes rather than to actually outfit the team in something that might (even if only a teeny tiny bit) inspire the players, I think that this might be soft even by that standard. I know that if I'm a player and I'm putting on purple and baby-blue gear, I'm not going to have a lot of pride in my team (OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I think you get what I'm trying to say - it's uninspiring.)

For the record, the most recent version (with the Rockie's-esque mountains) is the best one IMO. I'd lose the "tilt" and the effects on the letters and just make it flat. I think flat is more iconic and powerful then with the bevels / light effect. Also, I'm not sure that the lighting on the horn matches the lighting on the letters, and it looks odd to have a "3d" wordmark on a 2d ball+mountain combo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ANOTHER UPDATE

I have updated the sax, editing the blue shape in the front and tilting it to the right. And BBTV, I understand if you think this combination look a little feminine, but I wholeheartedly disagree that it can't work for a pro sports team. I think the fear of looking different is a plague on the NBA with so many teams wearing two shade of blue, or red and black together. The Jazz already use these colors, they just also have navy. Anyways, that aside, I would like some C&C.

jazz_logos5.jpg

When I say "soft", I don't mean feminine. Just... well, relaxing, soothing, calming. Not how you want your players to be. Didn't the Falcons paint the visitors' locker room at the GA dome mauve or some soothing color to try and calm down their opponents? Not saying that it works, or that it's really a big deal, it's just that I think that sports colors at any level should have at least some bold color in it. Anyway, it's your vision so go with what you want. The concept is great, and the execution is thisclose to being great too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When I say "soft", I don't mean feminine. Just... well, relaxing, soothing, calming. Not how you want your players to be. Didn't the Falcons paint the visitors' locker room at the GA dome mauve or some soothing color to try and calm down their opponents? Not saying that it works, or that it's really a big deal, it's just that I think that sports colors at any level should have at least some bold color in it. Anyway, it's your vision so go with what you want. The concept is great, and the execution is thisclose to being great too.

OK, I see. To me, the bright purple and bright light blue are bold enough. To each their own, I guess.

Really nice set. The newest update is clearly the best so far. I haven't read all the replies to this so forgive me if it's been said before, I don't like all the colors on the ball. It makes me think ABA or WNBA. What about using just the blue instead of grey and white on the ball? I know it harkens back to the old days, but it's time to move on. What about a little purple shadow on the ball to add a little depth? Also, for the tertiary, have you tried keeping the ball and using the neck of the sax to complete the 'J'? It would make the logo a lot more interesting if you could pull it off.

I like the color scheme but I do see the Vet's point. This combo is very NBA and very suitable for this concept.

Great job!

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I agree with the undead about the ball color, think it would look better all one color.

I really like this concept and can't wait to see the uniforms. Only thing bothering me is the perspective on the mountains. Everything else seems to be 3d and getting farther as you go right in the primary. The mountains just look flat and from a straight on perspective. Hope that makes sense. Maybe it's just me.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

ANOTHER UPDATE

I have tried to add some perspective to the mountain, but I think if they were more detailed, then the entire logo would be far too busy. The simplicity of the mountain provides a space for UTAH to be visible, and a resting place for the viewer's eye. I have also decreased the skew on the wordmark to make it fit better with the J. I have also included options of the multi-colored ball, which matches the J-note, and a one-color ball that some of you had requested. Please let me know which one works better, and I should have uniforms up soon. C&C please.

jazz_primary-1.jpg

Archived