NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This IMO didn't warrant a new thread so Im posting it here

The Stockton Thunder tonight are wearing Sharks uniforms at home against Utah.

They are identical to the big team's home unis with the Thunder wordmark on the back where the Reebok logo normally is

This is way off topic, but...

Wayne's jersey didn't have the NHL logo on the collar last night on SNL. Why?

It doesn't make sense as to why they used the Blackhawks logo and not the NHL crest, but it's gotta be licensing stuff, I noticed too.

bufg.png

This is way off topic, but...

Wayne's jersey didn't have the NHL logo on the collar last night on SNL. Why?

It doesn't make sense as to why they used the Blackhawks logo and not the NHL crest, but it's gotta be licensing stuff, I noticed too.

Hmmm...SNL is on NBC right? They had to put a logo creep in there, but me thinks they went cheap with a CHINESE KNOCKOFF!!!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Hmmm...SNL is on NBC right? They had to put a logo creep in there, but me thinks they went cheap with a CHINESE KNOCKOFF!!!

Chinese fakes don't make the logos look THAT accurate.

I'm not sure how licensing works. Later in the show they did a sketch in a Green Bay bar and had Packers and SB logos all over the place but no NFL logos.

Maybe you can use the individual team logos, but not the league?

bufg.png

Fact: Wayne's World went a long way in building a foundation for my Chicago Blackhawks fandom. That said, why am I seeing Mike Myers dress up as Wayne Campbell in 2011? Sad stuff.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Fact: Wayne's World went a long way in building a foundation for my Chicago Blackhawks fandom. That said, why am I seeing Mike Myers dress up as Wayne Campbell in 2011? Sad stuff.

It's a lot better than him wearing a Leafs uniform and fantasizing about a Stanley Cup that will never materialize.

It's a lot better than him wearing a Leafs uniform and fantasizing about a Stanley Cup that will never materialize.

Or actually making a movie about it :cursing:

theloveguru_gallerytheatrical.jpg

bufg.png

No way the Panthers wear red jerseys, because that would give even more momentum to the fans' call for their return. And the org has clearly shown they have no intention of making fans happy in that regard.

Well, that's just Business 101. Never give your customers what they want.

Exactly. I think it is an absolute joke that the Florida Panthers have pushed their current alternate uniform, crest logo and colors on their fans when it hasn't been well received. Sadly, the relationship between the organization and their fans isn't at its best to say the least aside charity events they inform the public of. The uniform set last worn in the 2006-2007 season is what should be brought back.

The only time the state names are weird are when it's not the only team in the state. California Angels, Golden State Warriors, Florida Panthers, etc.

In the Panthers' case, it's more of a play on words than anything else.

Miami Panthers could have worked, but they chose not to go with it. Guess they felt it didn't sound right. *Shrug*

I would've loved it if they were originally called the Miami Panthers because during their first 5 years, the team actually played IN Miami. Now they're the same distance from there as the Pistons and Angels are from where they represent (you'll see in my next post). I don't care for the name Florida Panthers, but I've lived with it. Given they're now fairly close to Fort Lauderdale, I can understand why there is no Miami in the team name.

The Coyotes identity right now is so bland and dated. Im not advocating a return to their original logo but if they rebranded they could at least bring back some of those muted desert colours like the hunter green and purple and inject some originality to the league. As it stands they look like they could be a hockey team from anywhere.

I don't agree with that at all. Some people don't understand that some NHL uniform designs have been too busy OR that if they have multiple colors in their team color scheme, they are poorly used.

I admit I'm an advocate of simpler uniforms and logos, but IF used right, having multiple colors I would embrace. The Phoenix Coyotes had one of the busiest and ugliest jerseys in their early years. I was elated when they did a complete overhaul in 2003. Their primary logo is GREAT and enjoy the colors. I would've preferred their primary color closer to maroon than brick red, but then they at least have a different color than the Colorado Avalanche. The Coyotes' current alternate jersey failed in my mind. Glad they used the sand color for their nameplate and numbers. HATE the full body leaping fox logo on the front. Should've stuck with the primary coyote head logo instead.

I always thought it was dumber to have them called the Phoenix Coyotes since they don't actually play IN Phoenix anymore.

By a mere four blocks? Who cares. I made this map to show my point.

2010jun10001.jpg

In the northwest corner of the picture, you see the sports complex. I put a placemark on Jobing.com Arena.

This is what I'm talking about as far as the arena's proximity to Phoenix's city limits (4 blocks or 2 main thoroughfare roads). Phoenix is at the bottom. The border between Phoenix and Glendale is the straight yellow line represented by West Camelback Road. I don't know why there is a box surrounding the sports complex, but it must be either an error or another designation of some kind for Glendale (usually I'd see that for postal zip codes). Loop 101 is on the far left of the picture running north to south. The road at the very top running west to east would be West Glendale Avenue.

The city of Glendale is quietly making a federal case about it. My point is, the arena sits just barely outside Phoenix, so I don't see why this is such a big deal to change the team name. But, whatever.

In case you are curious, Jobing.com Arena in Glendale is 12Β½ miles northwest of US Airways Center in downtown Phoenix. Not as far as a lot of people think.

I say keep the PHOENIX Coyotes name. If they HAD to change it, I'll live with Arizona Coyotes.

When you get the Jets and Giants to change their names, I'll ask the Coyotes to fall in line.

And they technically play in Metro Phoenix, since Glendale is and will always be a suburb.

Thank you. The New York Jets and New York Giants with their names intact are the case for unique reasons. The NFL markets the teams for the entire New York City metropolitan area as a whole. Besides, the Meadowlands Sports Complex sits just 5 miles from the West Side Highway. But New Jerseyans will raise a stink because the stadium sits on their soil and feel they don't get enough respect.

And don't forget the Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills, the Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, the Ottawa Senators play in Kanata, and let's not forget my own Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim ( :rolleyes: ).

Glendale is literally right next to Phoenix. It's part of it. Glendale has this whole marketing campaign to try and make itself a great, independent city. It's not.

What's funny is that the Palace of Auburn Hills is 27Β½ miles from downtown Detroit. Significantly farther away from the city center than any of the other teams mentioned (except that Angel Stadium is the exact same distance from Los Angeles).

And no, Scotiabank Place is now within city limits, but is 12 miles west of downtown Ottawa. As mentioned before, Kanata was once a nearby "suburb", but it has been a western section of Ottawa since 2001.

Glendale is a "satellite city" at most even though it shares a border with Phoenix. There isn't anything there to speak significantly of and I've been there. I think they want to follow Anaheim's footsteps which is sad enough. Imagine if Arlington, Texas wanted to do the same? They'd have Dallas AND Fort Worth to contend with. Good luck.

You all seem to forget that although the Diamondbacks play in downtown Phoenix, they are called the ARIZONA Diamondbacks.

So why not the Phoenix to Arizona change to the Coyotes?

That's because when the organization started they were truly meant to be Arizona's team with farm teams throughout the state.

The Arizona Cardinals name change from Phoenix to Arizona for like zero reason. When they first moved to Arizona, they played in Tempe, not Phoenix. There was never any pressure to be the Tempe Cardinals. In fact, The Phoenix Cardinals have never really played a game IN Phoenix.

But when it comes to the Phoenix Coyotes, it is the city of Glendale and really only the elected officials of the city of Glendale who have made it a stink that the Coyotes are still named the Phoenix Coyotes or have bemoaned the fact it's the University of Phoenix Stadium. Your average citizen of said town could really care less.

Thank you again. I just reinforced your statement about Glendale making a stink about the team name.

Like the Wild's home crest? This isn't the greatest pic, but it's what I have:

MINH3.jpg

I know this isn't related to what was asked about the Columbus Blue Jackets alternate jersey crest logo, but I do want to say as much as I like the Minnesota Wild's alternate turned home jersey logo, I don't want it to replace the primary logo. I wish the Wild would just return to their 2006-2007 uniform set. That includes going back to the original alternate jersey design instead of its modified home version and ditching their current alternate green jersey with the wordmark logo.

And no, Scotiabank Place is now within city limits, but is 12 miles west of downtown Ottawa. As mentioned before, Kanata was once a nearby "suburb", but it has been a western section of Ottawa since 2001.

I'm sorry friend, but if you drive 12 miles east of Scotiabank Place, you still wouldn't be anywhere close to downtown Ottawa. As a matter of fact, you'd still be right smack dab in the middle of the suburbs.

thecatch.jpg

By rolling it out in the middle of the season when the players can't wear it, I think "screwing around" is exactly what they're doing. But that's okay because Steve Yzerman

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

What's funny is that the Palace of Auburn Hills is 27Β½ miles from downtown Detroit. Significantly farther away from the city center than any of the other teams mentioned (except that Angel Stadium is the exact same distance from Los Angeles).

Candlestick Park (in San Francisco) is approximately 39 1/2 miles from the parking lot at Great America theme park in Santa Clara (where the new 49ers stadium will maybe be built)

They are gonna continue to be known as the San Francisco 49ers.

The Lightning have already debuted the new logo at center ice in the SPTF. Fox Sports has also incorporated it into their graphics package. The Ning arent screwing around rolling out the new brand.

I was at the game last Friday when it was their first game after the unveiling.

The Lightning have pretty much moved on to using the new logo everywhere. It's on team banners, the ice, video board graphics, newspaper ads, etc. Basically everywhere where they aren't contractually obligated to use the old logo (uniforms).

If the Flyers don't win the Cup I hope the Lightning do simply to see how abso-****ing-lutely bizarre it would be in the way they handle championship merchandise and so forth. Imagine seeing a Stanley Cup Champs t-shirt with a logo the team never wore while winning said championship.

The Lightning have already debuted the new logo at center ice in the SPTF. Fox Sports has also incorporated it into their graphics package. The Ning arent screwing around rolling out the new brand.

I was at the game last Friday when it was their first game after the unveiling.

The Lightning have pretty much moved on to using the new logo everywhere. It's on team banners, the ice, video board graphics, newspaper ads, etc. Basically everywhere where they aren't contractually obligated to use the old logo (uniforms).

They should just wear the new stuff. They're doing everything but.

Archived