NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

EDIT: I just had to

44630919.jpg

I think I have my new beer league team...that looks awesome (you know, in a tongue-in-cheek, enjoy-it-for-what-it-is kind of way) lol

For some reason, I am seeing a rather aggressive skating nun... ^_^

I can haz sig?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting how conditions affect people's judgement. If there were no movies, no Disney, and the Ducks came into the league with the exact same old logo and jade and eggplant colors, they'd be accepted fine.

I wouldn't have accepted it. I thought the logo looked like something out of a Saturday Morning cartoon then and still feel that way now.

The Catch of the Day!

So psyched about the new Sens third jersey. I hope it's primarily black with broad red and white stripes across the chest. So far the Barrette concept has come the closest to what I'm hoping for. For me the best case scenerio would be that the new jerseys sell like gangbusters prompting the team to design a matching white jersey and drop the gladiator theme alltogether.

That would be a huge mistake. I realise that the "O" logo is popular among Senators fans but it was used by a completely different team. If they use it full time they'll do what their expansion cousins the Lightning did last month. Eviscerate a 20 year history. It would also be unfortunate if they dropped the Gold and became just another Red and Black team.

I understand that it would get rid of the last 20 years but even I can admit that there hasn't been that much history associated with the gladiator look. I don't consider one appearence in the Stanley Cup Finals significant enough to justify keeping the same look. And unlike Tampa, the team wouldn't be trying to create tradition out of thin air. Even though it technically isn't the same team, the original Sens history is a big part of the current team's identity. When you go to a game you can see this (banners for the old Stanley Cups, most of the streets around the arena named after players from that era, Frank Finnigan's number 8 being retired). Although there is no official agreement, I like consider the situation to be similar to the Cleveland Browns.

It's interesting how conditions affect people's judgement. If there were no movies, no Disney, and the Ducks came into the league with the exact same old logo and jade and eggplant colors, they'd be accepted fine. I never see anyone complain that the Penguins' logo is too cartoonish, or that old Orioles logo that people seem to like, and that's much worse.

Now that you mention it, I'm scratching my head too. And to think the original Mighty Ducks logo could have been so much worse:

(Image from Icethetics)

0127-ana-newspaperconcepts.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1296163182957

Also, and I can't remember where exactly I read this (I think it was in some book at my old college's library on the NHL - why a college in the UK had a book on the NHL I'll never know) and I could be entirely wrong here: but back in the day, Disney worked with the NHL to create the duck mask logo. Chances are it was probably something to do with the above monstrosities, or the fact that the league would never be able to trademark Donald or the Disney D. Perhaps this is also why the Ducks have been able to bring back and use the logo without any apparent signs of a lawsuit from Disney in the near future.

EDIT: I just had to

44630919.jpg

I got a chuckle out of that :lol:

30343994.png

This would be the best Ducks jersey ever. Though I'd still be satisfied if it was a third and nothing more.

The name "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" is beyond stupid...

The name I liked, but probably wouldn't bring back. It sort of felt good (like a guilty pleasure), and rolls off the tongue nicely, but Anaheim Ducks on its own has a bit more of a "punch" to it, for lack of better term.

...but that logo is a thing a of beauty. A modern classic.

Agreed. :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

As a kid, I loved their logo, but then I grew up and realized how cartoonist and kids movie derived it is. But that being said, that jersey would really be a nice 3rd and that would allow the ducks to do what they should have done in the first place and put the D on their home and away.

1) You realize that the Mighty Ducks logo in question was seen on the actual NHL team before it showed up in the movies. The only reason it showed up in D2 and D3 was that Disney wanted to make some continuity between the team and the movies (the worst thing they could have done). Had they used the logo from the first movie, people would have been rightfully outraged.

2) I agree. This jersey would be a great third.

3) Also agreed. While I like the current third jersey, and for a while I felt that it should have moved to the primary, I've had some thought and it should stay as the third. It's almost too much. I love the homes and aways as the primary jersey set. It's easy on the eyes for a day in/day out basis. And while I like the more orange on thrid, it is a bright orange and it is a little wild. But that's fine for an alternate.

The D should just be put on the home and aways, and there is at least a shred of evidence that could happen as well. Occasionally after Ducks games, there will be pickup games between the Ducks office staff and other teams (in this case the Ducks staffers (The Double-Minor Ducks) were playing against the staff from Broadcom, the company which Ducks owner Henry Samueli owns (the Broadcom Bullies)), and here is a picture from one of those games:

untitled-63.jpg

http://plixi.com/p/81219698

You can slightly see in the picture that the Ducks staffers jerseys are the current home jerseys with the "D" on the front rather than the workmark. I found that rather interesting, and hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I understand that it would get rid of the last 20 years but even I can admit that there hasn't been that much history associated with the gladiator look. I don't consider one appearence in the Stanley Cup Finals significant enough to justify keeping the same look. And unlike Tampa, the team wouldn't be trying to create tradition out of thin air. Even though it technically isn't the same team, the original Sens history is a big part of the current team's identity. When you go to a game you can see this (banners for the old Stanley Cups, most of the streets around the arena named after players from that era, Frank Finnigan's number 8 being retired). Although there is no official agreement, I like consider the situation to be similar to the Cleveland Browns.

No it isn't. The only references to that completely different team are the shoulder patches adorning the current Home and Away jerseys. As for the one Stanley Cup Finals appearance not being enough to justify the look, that is completely false. The Sabres only had 1 Finals appearance when they changed to the Red and Black and look at how that was recieved (Not saying I agree). A Barber Pole Third would be spectacular, but the Senators should honour their 20 year history and bring back their original logo. It was a very well designed, classy and recognizable mark and there was no reason for it to go. It looks a hell of alot better than an "O" above two stripes. This is coming from a fan of the team as well.

No it isn't. The only references to that completely different team are the shoulder patches adorning the current Home and Away jerseys. As for the one Stanley Cup Finals appearance not being enough to justify the look, that is completely false. The Sabres only had 1 Finals appearance when they changed to the Red and Black and look at how that was recieved (Not saying I agree). A Barber Pole Third would be spectacular, but the Senators should honour their 20 year history and bring back their original logo. It was a very well designed, classy and recognizable mark and there was no reason for it to go. It looks a hell of alot better than an "O" above two stripes. This is coming from a fan of the team as well.

I think most Sens fans would agree with bringing back the Sens uniforms from the mid 90's as the home and away look. Make the third jersey an hommage to the original Ottawa Hockey Club and I think the Sens uniforms would be perfect.

thecatch.jpg

*sigh*

Anaheim really needs to ditch the black, and adopt forest green as their primary. You know, make things look like an actual mallard instead of crap.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I agree with the prior two sentiments. I think Ottawa should bring back their originals, and I'm talking the red numbers on the blacks. I also agree the the Ducks should ditch the black and go with a forrest green, or even some sort of shimmering green that goes from jade to forrest green.

It's interesting how conditions affect people's judgement. If there were no movies, no Disney, and the Ducks came into the league with the exact same old logo and jade and eggplant colors, they'd be accepted fine. I never see anyone complain that the Penguins' logo is too cartoonish, or that old Orioles logo that people seem to like, and that's much worse.

I get that you're sticking up for "your team", but you're wrong. The fact that there was a team was the only reason most of us (if there were an us back then) cut them any slack at all. Don't get me wrong, they got hammered for being an obvious Disney marketing tool, but once you get past that, you can sort of accept the dumb name and the dumb cartoony logo. If not for that connection, then it would be completely inexplicable that a major-league team would go in that direction.

Your comparison to the Penguins logo is not good either. Their logo is a skating penguin. Yes it's "cute", but I wouldn't call it cartoony. The Ducks logo is a scowling duck face behind a goalie mask. It has all of the features of a cartoon drawing. The Penguins logo is just an anthropomorphic Penguin, while the Ducks logo is a something that could be in a children's cartoon.

The Orioles logo is kind of in the same category as the Ducks, but at least it doesn't have the cartoonish aggression working against it. Still, it's a logo that people only love because it's "old". If it came out today I'm sure it would get panned nearly as much as the Ducks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

While I like the current third jersey, and for a while I felt that it should have moved to the primary, I've had some thought and it should stay as the third. It's almost too much. I love the homes and aways as the primary jersey set. It's easy on the eyes for a day in/day out basis. And while I like the more orange on thrid, it is a bright orange and it is a little wild. But that's fine for an alternate.

The D should just be put on the home and aways, and there is at least a shred of evidence that could happen as well.

I must admit, I would be just as happy if they did that instead. Even moreso if the shoulder logo gets moved to the regular set as well. I reckon it'll be at least another year or two before they make any more major changes to the uniforms, although a duck mask third for the team's 20th anniversary season would be sweet (And I'm wondering if that'll either remain as 2012-13 or be pushed forward to 2013-14 with the lockout in mind).

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Colorwerkxsxskx has a color chip somewhere for the proposed green Ducks set, and I'm hoping that by posting this, he'll come along and post it.

Straight from my website:

AnaheimDucks_UC1_2007_SOL_SRGB.png

As opposed to the current set:

AnaheimDucks_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I get that you're sticking up for "your team", but you're wrong. The fact that there was a team was the only reason most of us (if there were an us back then) cut them any slack at all. Don't get me wrong, they got hammered for being an obvious Disney marketing tool, but once you get past that, you can sort of accept the dumb name and the dumb cartoony logo. If not for that connection, then it would be completely inexplicable that a major-league team would go in that direction.

I guess my opinion is diminished because I'm a fan of the team, but I'd like to think that even if I didn't care about hockey I'd still like the logo. I think the Penguins' logo is just as cartoony, but I don't consider cartoony in and of itself a bad thing. But in a culture where people revere a dumb C with an H inside it, I've realized I'm not the majority.

I guess my opinion is diminished because I'm a fan of the team, but I'd like to think that even if I didn't care about hockey I'd still like the logo. I think the Penguins' logo is just as cartoony, but I don't consider cartoony in and of itself a bad thing. But in a culture where people revere a dumb C with an H inside it, I've realized I'm not the majority.

I can back up up here. I'm not a ducks fan and I liked the old Mighty Ducks logo and I completely hear what you're saying about a "dumb C with an H inside it." For a lot of people old=awesome. It can be difficult to be subjective.

This example supports my statement. When the Sabres decided to get rid of the black, grey, and red no one was saying "Why would you get rid of the uniforms that the team wore in the '99 Finals? How can you get rid of jerseys with so much history?" Besides, its not like I'm suggesting that they should completely alter the identity. The colours would remain the same it would just be a different logo. Whether or not the gladiator looks better than the =O= is irrelevant. A lot of people would say that the Canucks orca logo is better than the boring stick-in-rink, but all that really matters is what the fans like. And it seems like Sens fans like the traditional =O= logo.

Colorwerkxsxskx has a color chip somewhere for the proposed green Ducks set, and I'm hoping that by posting this, he'll come along and post it.

Straight from my website:

AnaheimDucks_UC1_2007_SOL_SRGB.png

As opposed to the current set:

AnaheimDucks_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Thank you sir.

I love how the orange is essentially the color of a hunting safety vest.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

This example supports my statement. When the Sabres decided to get rid of the black, grey, and red no one was saying "Why would you get rid of the uniforms that the team wore in the '99 Finals? How can you get rid of jerseys with so much history?" Besides, its not like I'm suggesting that they should completely alter the identity. The colours would remain the same it would just be a different logo. Whether or not the gladiator looks better than the =O= is irrelevant. A lot of people would say that the Canucks orca logo is better than the boring stick-in-rink, but all that really matters is what the fans like. And it seems like Sens fans like the traditional =O= logo.

The idea that the Senators, established in 1993, should revert to the identity of a completely different team established in 1883 is ridiculous. There are 6 decades between them. They never were nor ever will be the same team, period. Also if you don't think how the logos look is relevant, why are you even posting here? The original logo was a classy unique mark that accurately reflected the time in which the team was established. The 90's! Brining back the =O= logo was a shallow attempt to leech off the history of a completely different team. In no way should it ever be the primary.

The idea that the Senators, established in 1993, should revert to the identity of a completely different team established in 1883 is ridiculous. There are 6 decades between them. They never were nor ever will be the same team, period. Also if you don't think how the logos look is relevant, why are you even posting here? The original logo was a classy unique mark that accurately reflected the time in which the team was established. The 90's! Brining back the =O= logo was a shallow attempt to leech off the history of a completely different team. In no way should it ever be the primary.

I think I chose the wrong wording. What I mean is that there is more to a logo than just pure aesthetics. Even though it is technically a different team they are still playing in the same league in the same city under the same name. To me the =O= represents the name Ottawa Senators better than the gladiator logo. I have lived in Ottawa my whole life and I have never seen any gladiators walking around. I mean when Cleveland got an NFL expansion team they didn't try and come up with a new "cool looking" logo, they brought back the uniforms worn by the original Browns (and I don't buy the argument that the Browns are the same franchise simply because the NFL says so).

To me the =O= represents the name Ottawa Senators better than the gladiator logo.

Not to sound anal but the "O" simply meant "Ottawa" not Ottawa Senators. The Ottawa Senators never had an official name. They were simply the Ottawa Hockey Club (aka Ottawa Athletic Club aka Ottawa Professional Hockey Team). The "Senators" name was simply casual and unoffical (heck if you read newspapers on microfilm from that time period alot of the time they were simply called "The Ottawas".). At least with this team they use "Senators" as an offical name and I have no qualms about them trying to create an identity with it.

I have lived in Ottawa my whole life and I have never seen any gladiators walking around.

I wonder if people in Detroit see tigers walking around, or if people in Los Angeles actually go to any local lakes. :)

The Catch of the Day!

Archived