NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

I'd like to join in...

Sabres-1.png

You have a gift, my friend.

Love the way that looks. It'd make a great shoulder logo on an alternate uniform. (I'd still prefer having the blue and yellow "B with sword through it" logo on the shoulders of the home and road uniforms starting this fall. It'd be a good way to tie the team's history together.)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I know the black/silver is unique comparing to the rest of the league...I loved those jerseys enough to buy one back in the day...but it doesn't make it awesome. The purple/silver is an obvious rip off of the Sac Kings, but it still gives a sense of identity in the NHL to LA.

You just contradicted yourself. You admit that the silver/black look is unique in the NHL, but then you say that while the black, purple, and silver is a ripoff of the Sacramento Kings, it's still unique in the NHL. Well if the black, purple, and silver is unique, then the silver and black is just as unique, as far as the NHL is concerned.

If it boils down to personal preference and you just like the purple, black, and silver look better, that's cool. Just don't try and claim it "gives the Kings a unique identity" when the silver and black does just as good (or poor) a job at doing that.

Yes, I know it was a contradiction. I really don't know how to describe what I mean. Yes, the black/silver is unique to the Kings in the NHL as is the purple/silver. But I guess what I mean, looking back, the black/silver was boring. The purple/silver is newer, fresher, and no one else in the league uses purple and it also shows a sense of the team's history. I dunno, it's probably not a valid point because there really is no fact in this argument...just a personal preference.

Yeah, that is what it comes down to.

I donno, the purple never really "popped" for me to seem fresh. Maybe a slightly lighter shade that contrasts more with the black and a better number font would change my opinion. Oh, and they would have to lose the "LOS ANGELES KINGS" script at the waist.

I will grant you that I'm not a fan of the silver and black logo though. Honestly, when I was younger I thought it looked a lot like a beer label. If the Kings returned to the Gretzky era colours I would hope they would retain the current logo set. From a completley objective standpoint it's one of the league's best all around sets.

Hideous. Not your fault, you actually did a great job mocking those up and blending old with new, but they look terrible. The Slug has always been criticized for being lopsided, but putting it in one of the old logos makes that more blatant that ever. Look how much empty space there is to the right of it.

There's just no way to redeem the Slug.

Yeah, I hear ya. I was thinking about how lopsided the whole thing looked as I was making the mock-ups. Still, as an exercise, it's interesting to see, I think.

I'd like to join in...

Sabres-1.png

You have a gift, my friend.

Love the way that looks. It'd make a great shoulder logo on an alternate uniform. (I'd still prefer having the blue and yellow "B with sword through it" logo on the shoulders of the home and road uniforms starting this fall. It'd be a good way to tie the team's history together.)

Thanks. :)

It would not be a bad idea to keep the B-Sword around. Even though it has been simplified (in comparrison the the red one they had before), it would have to be even more vintage looking so it could be at the same level as the crossed swords crest. I'm usually not crazy about seeing a recolored classic primary logo being accompanied by a shoulder logo that's "too modern". Go with one or the other, not both.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a few of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals patches today. On the backer from National Emblem, there were Canucks, Sharks, and Blue Jackets anniversary patches for the upcoming season that I don't remember seeing before. Apologies if they've been posted already.

scfpatchback.jpg

Well here are two mock-ups....

35.png

qehhihlyz2wnb2ocdh0l2mwv9.png

Who knows? It could have worked, but what's done is done. They opted to use the Buffaslug on its own and is thus, like the Gordon's Fisherman in NY, damaged goods.

Hideous. Not your fault, you actually did a great job mocking those up and blending old with new, but they look terrible. The Slug has always been criticized for being lopsided, but putting it in one of the old logos makes that more blatant that ever. Look how much empty space there is to the right of it.

There's just no way to redeem the Slug.

Wow, I missed this and I think I suggested it. Nice work, Icecap. I think the newer swords work better with the slug, but I was way wrong. That wouldn't have made it past anyone, either. Slug was doomed.

And those anniversary logos look ok to me. I like the Sharks the best at a first, small glance.

I picked up a few of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals patches today. On the backer from National Emblem, there were Canucks, Sharks, and Blue Jackets anniversary patches for the upcoming season that I don't remember seeing before. Apologies if they've been posted already.

scfpatchback.jpg

Awesome! Those look spiffy!

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

scfpatchback.jpg

I really like that Blue Jackets one, however that Canucks one is kinda bland. I also believe that the Sabres will have some sort of patch next year for their 40th anniversary.

saBS.png

scfpatchback.jpg

I really like that Blue Jackets one, however that Canucks one is kinda bland. I also believe that the Sabres will have some sort of patch next year for their 40th anniversary.

Wow, the Sharks will be 20 years next season. That makes me feel old. I like the Canucks patch.

Hopefully something from the Sabres 2010-2011 uniforms leaks pretty soon.

scfpatchback.jpg

Is there a reason why the Red Wings logo is angled differently from how I assume it's (officially) supposed to be? I've seen some sites like Fathead do this... They rotate logos at a much different angle than you generally see, and I've oftened wondered what the reasoning is.

Is there a reason why the Red Wings logo is angled differently from how I assume it's (officially) supposed to be? I've seen some sites like Fathead do this... They rotate logos at a much different angle than you generally see, and I've oftened wondered what the reasoning is.

Not sure about the patch, but with Fathead, it's probably just to emphasize that the logo is moveable and not fixed in some static location. It's like selling a toy that has a gimmick of being poseable - you wouldn't package it totally straight and not show off the bendy parts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is this supposed to be outlined in gold? In the photo it looks silver.

If I have time later, I'll scan in the backer so there's a better view than my quick camera phone pic. It's definitely silver.

They're not one season late -- the Sharks are one season early. Remember, the 2004-05 season never happened.

The team still existed.

Plus, if the Cup counts that year, so do i...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived