NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, according to the latest River City Sports email, these teams are on clearance:

Leafs, Sabres, Senators, Lightning, Oilers, Devils, Panthers, Stars, Coyotes, Thrashers, Predators, Blue Jackets, Wild, Hurricanes, Ducks.

New jerseys for all, or just overstock?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well, according to the latest River City Sports email, these teams are on clearance:

Leafs, Sabres, Senators, Lightning, Oilers, Devils, Panthers, Stars, Coyotes, Thrashers, Predators, Blue Jackets, Wild, Hurricanes, Ducks.

New jerseys for all, or just overstock?

As much as I'd like to see changes applied to many of those teams, I'm going to say overstock.

Not to completely advertise my concept here, but in my NHL 2012 series, I made a Sabres 40th anniversary logo and new Sabres home and road jerseys, as well as an alternate jersey. Some of it is based on what I have read in this thread, and I thought some of you might want to see them.

You did a great job on those. I'm not a huge fan of royal blue and navy blue on the same jersey, but the 3rd jersey you whipped up came pretty close to making me like it. The "Buffalo" script from the old Bisons jersey is gorgeous. I REALLY hope the Sabres are really going with that for the 40th anniversary jersey and that it's not just uniform-nerd speculation.

There's a story on TSN.ca today about Dion Phaneuf being named captain that says " The team is holding a press conference on Monday, where the club says it will make an announcement and unveil a new Maple Leafs sweater." Any buzz out there about this one?

We already knew this, but it has been officially confirmed that the Ducks will have a third jersey next season. However, they say that they are keeping these tight-lipped and that they won't be unveiled until we get into the season. But I guess that they have already been made according to this. So the design is just sitting in the Honda Center somewhere waiting to be let out. Someone get to digging :D

But I am interested in the final quote saying that there is meaning to it. So either a meaning to Anaheim, Orange County, or maybe even Ducks history? Who knows...

It's not exactly a well-kept secret, but the Ducks will indeed be wearing third jerseys next season.

The design of the jerseys are complete, but unlike when the team switched colors, logo and uniforms prior to the 2006-07 campaign, they won't unveil the third jerseys until during the season (at a time yet to be determined). They will only wear them during home games, a maximum of 15 as mandated by the NHL).

Ducks VP of Sales and Marketing Bob Wagner said the team waited this long to create a third jersey so as to not dilute the new look that was unveiled four summers ago. “We wanted to establish that new logo and colors first, "Wagner said, "before we started making plans for an alternate jersey."

Ducks executives created the new look with the help of an outside firm while also getting input from players. “We've gotten a lot of positive feedback," Wagner said. "The players especially are really excited about it."

The last time the Ducks wore an alternate jersey was when they wore this black and dark purple one (with "Anaheim" scripted across the front) during the 2003-04 and 2005-06 seasons.

The Ducks won't reveal anything about the look of the new jersey until they're made public next season (though I can confirm that they are pretty cool-looking).

“I think the fans will really embrace it based on the fact that there is meaning to it," Wagner said.

LINK

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

We already knew this, but it has been officially confirmed that the Ducks will have a third jersey next season. However, they say that they are keeping these tight-lipped and that they won't be unveiled until we get into the season. But I guess that they have already been made according to this. So the design is just sitting in the Honda Center somewhere waiting to be let out. Someone get to digging :D

But I am interested in the final quote saying that there is meaning to it. So either a meaning to Anaheim, Orange County, or maybe even Ducks history? Who knows...

It's not exactly a well-kept secret, but the Ducks will indeed be wearing third jerseys next season.

The design of the jerseys are complete, but unlike when the team switched colors, logo and uniforms prior to the 2006-07 campaign, they won't unveil the third jerseys until during the season (at a time yet to be determined). They will only wear them during home games, a maximum of 15 as mandated by the NHL).

Ducks VP of Sales and Marketing Bob Wagner said the team waited this long to create a third jersey so as to not dilute the new look that was unveiled four summers ago. ?We wanted to establish that new logo and colors first, "Wagner said, "before we started making plans for an alternate jersey."

Ducks executives created the new look with the help of an outside firm while also getting input from players. ?We've gotten a lot of positive feedback," Wagner said. "The players especially are really excited about it."

The last time the Ducks wore an alternate jersey was when they wore this black and dark purple one (with "Anaheim" scripted across the front) during the 2003-04 and 2005-06 seasons.

The Ducks won't reveal anything about the look of the new jersey until they're made public next season (though I can confirm that they are pretty cool-looking).

?I think the fans will really embrace it based on the fact that there is meaning to it," Wagner said.

LINK

It's orange. I'm calling it now.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I wish the Ducks primary logo was just the duck foot without the wordmark. Thus, I hope the Ducks' third jersey features a full-bodied alternate logo, kind of like how the Panthers and Jaguars used to have nice full-bodied alternate logos that were used in different ways from the primary.

I've accepted the white nameplate on the Flyers' home jerseys, for several reasons. 1, the orange they use is so light that simple white letters would get washed out, and two-color letters would suck. 2, there is at least some historical tie-in, even though it's rather weak. 3, the jersey-shirts look kinda cool with it, and all of the local businesses (bars, etc.) that have stolen the theme for their "staff" shirts look pretty neat. It's kind of a OK gimmick, even if it's just that - a gimmick.

However, I'll be extremely disappointed if they force a black nameplate on to the new road jersey. There is no reason at all for it, and there's really no justification for it, since simple black letters look fine against the white background. In fact, the black nameplate defeats the whole purpose of the white one on the orange jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree with all of that. I love the white nameplates. I thought it was a great idea. I much prefer the "established" Flyers sweater of the '80s and '90s to the older design they're bringing back, but the white nameplates are an inspired move. If you look back at the Hextall/Lindros-era oranges, the white doesn't stand out against the orange enough. Better to just slap the same white nameplates on both for that old-time Broad Street Bullies feel. But is it just me, or do the nameplates use a different block than the plain whites? It looks closer to the slightly-wider-than-standard block that the Blackhawks (of all teams) use rather than the thicker (and much cooler) Flyers lettering.

The black nameplates look bad and defeat the purpose of contrasting nameplates, yes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wish the Ducks primary logo was just the duck foot without the wordmark. Thus, I hope the Ducks' third jersey features a full-bodied alternate logo, kind of like how the Panthers and Jaguars used to have nice full-bodied alternate logos that were used in different ways from the primary.

I'm dreading the idea of an orange jersey, but that's just me. However, a full-bodied duck logo would probably convince me to buy it anyway.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I'd love to see some type of full body duck logo. For Anaheim, in my opinion the D-foot logo works as a primary, although they insist on using the wordmark. But if they used just the D as the crest, the wordmark logo would not function as a secondary at all. To have a strong and varied logo package, the Ducks need another logo, and I think a full body logo would function well as an alternate, much like the Coyotes crest on the black alternate. Say what you will about the Coyotes "road kill" logo, but it help provide a well-rounded logo package, as you have just the Coyotes head, and then full body view. The Coyotes have about 5 functional logos and 2 wordmarks, the Ducks only have 1 of each, and another, different looking logo with the same theme would certainly help them out.

I agree with all of that. I love the white nameplates. I thought it was a great idea. I much prefer the "established" Flyers sweater of the '80s and '90s to the older design they're bringing back, but the white nameplates are an inspired move. If you look back at the Hextall/Lindros-era oranges, the white doesn't stand out against the orange enough. Better to just slap the same white nameplates on both for that old-time Broad Street Bullies feel. But is it just me, or do the nameplates use a different block than the plain whites? It looks closer to the slightly-wider-than-standard block that the Blackhawks (of all teams) use rather than the thicker (and much cooler) Flyers lettering.

The black nameplates look bad and defeat the purpose of contrasting nameplates, yes.

I'm pretty sure that they both use the same lettering, it may just be an optical illusion. The lettering actually doesn't really match the numbers, because the insides of the letters is slanted, rather than square (so a 0 has 8 sides both inside and outside.) It does appear pretty clunky in person.

They've actually used the same letters and numbers since the '80s (maybe earlier - never saw a game-worn '70s jersey up close.) Back in the day of getting blank jerseys and having them customized, this was the biggest issue - NOBODY understood that the letters weren't just your typical block. Unless you got a HEXTALL jersey, chances were yours was messed up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+Philadelphia+Flyers+BXGu7s3gSucl.jpg

article_15475_1.jpg

The orange jersey's lettering still looks thinner to me. I wonder why they're not identical. Seems like it'd be easier just to make the same white nameplate twice.

Hmmm... in those pics, it certainly appears that you're correct. I know for fact that they're identical on the "store bought" jerseys. I wonder if the pic of the orange jerseys was taken during that brief period where they used "throwback" numbers before standardizing them with the white and black set. It's tough to tell because only the 2 would be noticeably different, but perhaps that would explain the lettering as well (unless that pic was taken during the playoffs, which it probably was judging by the orange t-shirts, in which case the only response I can offer is "well gee wiz, what do you know?)

Can't explain that one. The pic of richards in the white jersey is the lettering I've always known.

And what cool lettering it is. Must've been one of those deals where a local supplier long ago happened to have that instead of plain old block, and now it's grandfathered in. Evidently just not enough.

Tangent: I see that the white helmet has the Flyers wordmark on it. Helmets would be a good place for teams to put their wordmarks, as kind of a way to work them into the logo system. A lot of them go pretty much unseen. I don't think the Habs even have one.

Archived