NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

With the placement of the anniversary patch, there is now officially one too many actual sharks on the jersey.

Not only is it an odd placement for a patch, but there are 4 shark heads on the jersey along with a front number a lot of small stripes and add on the "A" or "C". There is just way too much going on in the Sharks jersey next season.

And on the extreme off chance the Sharks actually made it to the Stanley Cup Final, where the hell does the patch go on an "A" or "C" jersey?

Yikes.

And I love that Winter Classic logo. All of the Winter Classic logos have been top notch, really. I like it.

And with the Heritage Classic. Well, it's in Canada... sooooo why not throw a maple leaf on it, yeah? ugh.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should use the one with the fin. I dont get why the wont use that logo, it looks great.

I agree 100%. It was always cool when they used as a shoulder patch before, and would look better if they used it again in the same fashion for the 3rd jerseys without the SJ letters. The previous and current fin logos are some of the best hockey logos.

2ly2w09.jpg

the Saskatoon Sheiks? really?

A team with a crescent moon logo??

Wonder how they settled on that.

Dear internet:

People in the 1920's thought of things differently than people in 2010 do.

Sincerely,

Logic

DERRRRRRRRRRRRRR....Really?

I don't think people were that different 90 years ago. "Sheiks" is an oddball name for a team in Saskatoon and a religious symbol seems out of place for a Canadian hockey team. So, yeah, I'd love to know how they came up with that name and if there's a story behind it.

EDIT: So far all I've found is this picture. It is completely badass. You can see the crescent moon S logo on their cardigan sweaters:

3545093082_50e5bdf03b.jpg

Link

Doesn't have updated Sabres logo... or the hopeful (for some of us) post-Olympic Vancouver shift to the alternate logo.

I'm still holding out hope that the Sabres "updated" their logo to take some of the silver out. They went overboard putting a silver outline around EVERYTHING when they made the alternate a couple years back.

DERRRRRRRRRRRRRR....Really?

I don't think people were that different 90 years ago. "Sheiks" is an oddball name for a team in Saskatoon and a religious symbol seems out of place for a Canadian hockey team. So, yeah, I'd love to know how they came up with that name and if there's a story behind it.

I'll attempt to actually answer what was an honest question. Unfortunately, there isn't much information about the origin of the team names or logos for the old WCHL, so this is all conjecture on my part. In the 1920s, people did have a rather different view of the Muslim world than they do today. Oil was discovered in the region in the late 19th century, and Sheiks were becoming prominent international celebrities by the 1920s. The Muslim world at that time was far more accepting of Western culture than it is now (and grew increasingly so until the mid-seventies), and the region was highly romanticized in Western literature. Islamic nations under European control were popular vacation destinations (Morocco was a French Protectorate but retained most of its culture throughout the period from 1912-1956, and was the backdrop for Casablanca). Sheiks would be somewhat similar to Vancouver naming its team in the same league the Millionaires.

As for the crescent, it's a simple iconic logo which, while being a religious symbol, also is immediately associated with the Muslim world. Secondly, some sects of Islam prohibit images of living things, so an image of an actual Sheik would be seen by some Muslims to be bordering on offensive. (Plus, if you see pictures of the Calgary Tigers jerseys, it was clear that the logo designers of the day simply couldn't draw, at least not in a way that would transfer easily to a hockey sweater).

At some point, the Saskatoon Sheiks were briefly renamed the Crescents, though the renaming probably had more to do with the depression than any anti-Islamic sentiment (the Vancouver Millionaires were also renamed the Maroons about the same time). Really, most of the team names in the WCHL were somewhat out of place, but no more out of place than a major league team being in Saskatoon in the first place. If you want to know more about the WCHL, this article is a good start: http://www.narhist.ewu.edu/pnf/articles/bernklow.html.

nhl94vansigpng.png

The Saskatoon Sheiks were known as the Saskatoon Crescents for the majority of their history. That's why there's a crescent with an "S" on the uniform. The S is supposed to pluralize the icon Crescents. Get it?

The imagery had nothing to do with Islam or the muslim world. A crescent is just a symbol. Crescents was actually a pretty popular hockey team name back in the twenties. Probably because it was easy to draw.

The name Sheiks came later BTW, but people always call that team the Sheiks because it sounds good. Alliteration and all that.

I'll attempt to actually answer what was an honest question. Unfortunately, there isn't much information about the origin of the team names or logos for the old WCHL, so this is all conjecture on my part. In the 1920s, people did have a rather different view of the Muslim world than they do today. Oil was discovered in the region in the late 19th century, and Sheiks were becoming prominent international celebrities by the 1920s. The Muslim world at that time was far more accepting of Western culture than it is now (and grew increasingly so until the mid-seventies), and the region was highly romanticized in Western literature. Islamic nations under European control were popular vacation destinations (Morocco was a French Protectorate but retained most of its culture throughout the period from 1912-1956, and was the backdrop for Casablanca). Sheiks would be somewhat similar to Vancouver naming its team in the same league the Millionaires.

As for the crescent, it's a simple iconic logo which, while being a religious symbol, also is immediately associated with the Muslim world. Secondly, some sects of Islam prohibit images of living things, so an image of an actual Sheik would be seen by some Muslims to be bordering on offensive. (Plus, if you see pictures of the Calgary Tigers jerseys, it was clear that the logo designers of the day simply couldn't draw, at least not in a way that would transfer easily to a hockey sweater).

At some point, the Saskatoon Sheiks were briefly renamed the Crescents, though the renaming probably had more to do with the depression than any anti-Islamic sentiment (the Vancouver Millionaires were also renamed the Maroons about the same time). Really, most of the team names in the WCHL were somewhat out of place, but no more out of place than a major league team being in Saskatoon in the first place. If you want to know more about the WCHL, this article is a good start: http://www.narhist.ewu.edu/pnf/articles/bernklow.html.

Thanks for the info.

That meshes well with everything I read in Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East by Michael Oren. (Link here to a great history book) American culture (and, I assume, Canadian culture) romanticized the Muslim world for a long time. I don't think things deteriorated until the second half of the 20th century. Also, in the old days before TV, just seeing people or cultures from other parts of the world could be the most excitement you could find. (That was one of the big draws for the 1893 Columbian Exposition.)

I guess I was hoping there was some personal story about one of the owners traveling there or doing business there. Or even being from there. It still seems weird to me that they'd name the team after a term that came from another culture on the other side of the world. Even in the 1920's, teams gravitated towards local names (e.g. the New York Highlanders becoming the New York Yankees, or the Brooklyn "Trolley" Dodgers). That said, you can't ever underestimate what weird team names and uniforms you'll see from any era, including today (e.g. Buffalo's banana slug hockey logo).

Archived