NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

The Penguins were the ones who solidified the Pittsburgh Gold thing in the first place when they decided smack-dab in the middle of a season that since the Pirates and Steelers were championship teams in black and gold, they might as well be too, much to the chagrin of Harry Sinden. I know they won a third championship in the new colors, but I really wish they would go back to the ones they wore for the first two. They can leave their charming shade of beige to the Ducks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone been able to accurately document how this whole new Reebok Edge system has made a player better? Has any player ever uttered the phrase, "I'm only this good because of this Reebok Edge uniform"? I said it from day one and I'll say it now, Reebok's Edge System is pure b.s. and they know it. The jerseys today DON'T make the player better at all and it's just a bunch of pure b.s. that Reebok sold to the NHL, the teams, and the players. You could put Ovechkin in a wool jersey and he'd make everyone look silly. Sure the lighter weight jerseys are good, but the cut and the seams and that friggin' rounded tail are stupid and need to go. I don't understand why they can't make lighter weight jerseys with the better cuts of the previous jerseys.

I remember when Chris Zimmerman - former head of Nike hockey - came on Vancouver radio and somewhat cynically answered "they changed the cut" when asked about the performance benefits of the edge jersey. That's all Reebok was ultimately interested in - changing the look of the uniform. They may have spent resources putting together different materials, but the most important thing to them was marketing a new product and selling a lot of new uniforms. The "performance benefit" was just a buzzword attached to their marketing campaign.

I think it's pretty obvious there will be changes made to the uniforms in the future. Clearly there are many teams that have planned obsolescence built into their jerseys. Edmonton and Toronto are obvious examples. I also believe that there will be some change made to the cut of the jerseys. The league wants to sell uniforms.

The rounded tail definitely needs to go on the jerseys with traditional hem stripes. I also think they need to redesign those ugly collars.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I don't understand the point of the 'Edge' cuts. Couldn't they have just used the same old cuts from the previous CCM jerseys? Oh and still use the new materials for the Edge jersey (but of course thats probably just a foriegn concept to them). Does anybody have any links or stories to read about the thought and design process of the Edge uniform system?

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

I don't understand the point of the 'Edge' cuts. Couldn't they have just used the same old cuts from the previous CCM jerseys? Oh and still use the new materials for the Edge jersey (but of course thats probably just a foriegn concept to them). Does anybody have any links or stories to read about the thought and design process of the Edge uniform system?

There's been more than enough stories about the edge system posted on here over the past three or four years. It's like with the Rawlings helmets in baseball - the distinct shape is part of the branding. The shirt tail probably doesn't matter at all as far as aerodynamics or any of that other crap goes, but when you see it, you instantly think edge, which makes you instantly think reebok, which, regardless of your opinion of the brand, means that they've succeeded. Besides - if you're a fan of a team who's design didn't change (Devils for example), now, technically your team's design did change, and you need a new jersey to be up to date.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Am I the only one who likes the shape of the new jerseys better? Now, I'm not saying the jersey designs teams have chosen. I'm not saying some of the different cuts of them that don't make much sense. But the actual shape and fit of the jerseys... as a fan, to wear and to watch, I like them better.

Am I the only one who likes the shape of the new jerseys better?

There must be a few people, but I haven't heard anybody say that besides you.

Even though I have just about completely gotten used to the new cut, at the same time, I woudn't shed a tear if the NHL goes back to using the pre-edge style.

Am I the only one who likes the shape of the new jerseys better? Now, I'm not saying the jersey designs teams have chosen. I'm not saying some of the different cuts of them that don't make much sense. But the actual shape and fit of the jerseys... as a fan, to wear and to watch, I like them better.

I agree.

Usually the only people who have something to say are the ones who have a problem. I love the Edge jerseys as far as look on the ice and especially how the replicas fit. They're so much better to wear than the old CCM replicas.

I 100% agree with you. Couldn't stand the baggy jerseys of the later CCM era. I've also become used to (and, indeed, like) most of the Edge jersey designs. If anything, the slimmer fit makes the retro jerseys used around the league look much better and more like the original jerseys that they are mimicking. Take a note, MLB - baggy polyester pullovers do not an accurate tribute make.

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

The material does feel better. I'd put it on a par with the material Pro Player used for their replicas, though thinner. CCM's airknit material was/is very rough. I'll disagree with you on the cut, though, mainly because my body is different than yours. The sleeves are a bit too long, especially with the fact that they're longer on one side. And while the fit on the sides is nice, the back has a way of blousing out - it's like I have an invisible ghetto booty when I'm standing. Plus there's no getting around how ridiculous that rounded hem looks.

When Reebok took over CCM, the authentic jerseys became absurdly huge. Unfortunately, I found that out only after ordering some online, assuming that size 48 meant 48. I could fit two arms all the way down one sleeve. While the 46 proved to be a more realistic fit, those sleeves are still baggier than the other authentic 48s I own.

I tend to think that Reebok made those jerseys so oversized those last couple of seasons just so that the "streamlining" of their Edge jerseys would seem even more dramatic by comparison. (And FWIW, I wear an Edge 52. Goofy sizing.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The material may feel better but god is it ever cheap. Literally comes apart after only a few washes and does anyone know the reason for the slits at the sides of the hem? They dont make the jersey more comfortable and they make the curved hemlines stick out even more. I could look past all that if the shoulder patches were embroidered but those tacky ironed on patches have got to be the worst idea Reebok has ever had. And thats saying alot.

I'll take the old CCM replica's anyday. Better designs, higher quality materials and, in my opinion, a better fit.

NHL uniforms weren't broke but Reebok tried to fix them anyways.

The old CCM replicas were awesome. So were the KOHO ones for that matter. The NHL replica jerseys that you can buy now from Reebok are total trash. Shoulder patches with screened on graphics? How much money did they actually save by making the uniform look ridiculous like that? And most of the new-style Edge uniforms were downgrades. The Sabres had the worst sports logo change since the infamous Gorton's Fisherman in the 1990's.

I hope someday soon the NHL kicks Reebok to the curb. They've done a horrible job at just about everything they've done. But, then again, it's the NHL so anything that can go wrong, MUST go wrong.

The material may feel better but god is it ever cheap. Literally comes apart after only a few washes and does anyone know the reason for the slits at the sides of the hem? They dont make the jersey more comfortable and they make the curved hemlines stick out even more.

I'm not certain, but I think the side slits, along with the jock tag at the front, are leftovers from when Reebok initially wanted Edge jerseys to be extra-tight and tucked-in. When those concepts got ditched, they made adjustments to the authentics, but never bothered altering the replicas.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The material may feel better but god is it ever cheap. Literally comes apart after only a few washes and does anyone know the reason for the slits at the sides of the hem? They dont make the jersey more comfortable and they make the curved hemlines stick out even more. I could look past all that if the shoulder patches were embroidered but those tacky ironed on patches have got to be the worst idea Reebok has ever had. And thats saying alot.

I'll take the old CCM replica's anyday. Better designs, higher quality materials and, in my opinion, a better fit.

NHL uniforms weren't broke but Reebok tried to fix them anyways.

For the record, I wash my Edge jerseys (I have three) on almost a bi-weekly basis and I've had nothing come apart. And I like how the shoulder patches, while screened, are actually sewn on instead of glued.

So this correct in what is supposed to happen for next year?

Anaheim: nothing

Atlanta: nothing

Boston: Winter Classic jersey becoming 3rd

Buffalo: 3rd becoming home, new white jersey to match new home, new royal blue classic third

Calgary: Anniversary jersey becoming full time 3rd in Edge cut

Carolina: nothing

Colorado: nothing

Columbus: new 3rd with a cannon logo

Detroit: nothing

Dallas: nothing

Edmonton: nothing????

Florida: nothing

LA: nothing

Minnesota: nothing

Montreal: nothing

Nashville: 3rds becoming home, new white away

New Jersey: nothing

New York Rangers: nothing

New York Islanders: 3rd becoming home, new white away to match home

Ottawa: nothing

Philadelphia: Winter Classic becoming away jersey, black becoming 3rd

Pittsburgh: new blue 3rd

Phoenix: nothing

San Jose: nothing

St. Louis: nothing

Tampa Bay: nothing

Toronto: finally getting the horizontal stripes

Vancouver: nothing

Washington: nothing

Also, does anyone know where the 2011 All-Star game is going to be held, if not, does anyone know who is bidding for it?

Archived