NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original Sabres logo is no better than the Buffaslug in my opinion - but instead of a vaguely-buffalo-shaped slug, we get a vaguely-buffalo-shaped blob. It looks like the Bills logo drawn by a two-year-old with shaky hands. And don't even get me started on the 2D swords which look like lightsabers with medieval handles. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good, people, and it's sad that more people don't seem to recognize that.

Just because something's a cartoony snarling animal from the 90s with a dated colour scheme and wacky stripes doesn't make it good either.

Yeah, but the lack of any highlight on the sabre makes it look more like a lightsaber than metal.

No, they don't. The blades in the logo have the curvature to the blades, much like real Sabres. A lightsabre's blade is straight. The lack of detail on the buffalo and blades don't make them static, they make them clean. Iconic. Something that's simple, easy to recognize.

Just because something's a cartoony snarling animal from the 90s with a dated colour scheme and wacky stripes doesn't make it good either.

Did I say it had to be that? But if you're going to make a buffalo logo, actually making it look like a buffalo instead of a blob would be a good start.

No respect for the classics <_<

bufg.png

Here is why I feel this logo sucks:

zzzzaaaa2.png

The buffalo is not as far away from the left sabre as it is from the right. The sabres themselves are symmetrical and are in a circle (which is obviously symmetrical), but the buffalo is not equidistant from the left and right sabre.

The buffalo is not in the middle of the circle. It is closer to the right by a wide margin.

There are motion lines going in two different directions for some odd reason. So what is the buffalo doing? Is it charging forward, but also somehow diving downward at the same time? Is it lowering its head to drill something, but also going airborne to headbutt something like Balrog/M. Bison? It comes off as neither and it seems as if the buffalo is just sitting there with random motion lines.

All this AND the fact that I feel it looks dated as hell with no detail in the buffalo or sabre. Perhaps an accent line or two (nothing too drastic) would not make it look old and "vintage"

I respect those who disagree with me, but I think this is an awful logo, one of the worst in the NHL. And by the way, the updated one with the silver is even more dreadful.

Let me ask a few questions? Why does the buffalo have to be symmetrically in the center between the two swords? If you are really trying to figure out what the buffalo is doing, then you have way too much time on your hands and need to find a hobby or get a job. The reason you can't figure out which way it's going is because you don't understand perspective. It's not going right to left, it's actually going right to left at an angle. Hence why the rear legs are smaller than the front legs, it's a perspective thing. Also, just because it doesn't have "detail" doesn't mean it's not good. It has less detail because it was of a different era and probably is a nod to the Native American drawings of animals in caves and on rocks etc. which didn't have much detail.

Some guy on hfboards is going around saying that he has seen the new Blue Jackets thirds and that there is no red to be found, they will wear navy shells over the regular red pants, and that they're going with a navy blue with a "lighter blue" used as accompanying trim.

I hope to god that he's wrong, but in my head I'm thinking "Oh god guys, you're going to make the same damn mistake as the god damn Florida mother *&$@ing Panthers. :cursing: "

PvO6ZWJ.png

Some guy on hfboards is going around saying that he has seen the new Blue Jackets thirds and that there is no red to be found, they will wear navy shells over the regular red pants, and that they're going with a navy blue with a "lighter blue" used as accompanying trim.

I hope to god that he's wrong, but in my head I'm thinking "Oh god guys, you're going to make the same damn mistake as the god damn Florida mother *&$@ing Panthers. :cursing: "

I hope that guy's wrong, and let's face it, it's HFBoards, so it's about 85% likely that he is. But if he's right, there's only one way you complete that look: make the crest the Stinger head logo in a circle ringed by text.

And then you shoot off a bunch of confetti, and the team dies and moves to Kansas City.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Did I say it had to be that? But if you're going to make a buffalo logo, actually making it look like a buffalo instead of a blob would be a good start.

It does look like a buffalo. It's got all the qualifying features. Legs, body, head, horn eye, tail. Unlike the Buffaslug the buffalo in the classic Sabres mark does indeed look like a buffalo and unlike the 90s logo no one's confusing it with a goat. Honestly, how you're getting "blob" is beyond me. It looks very much like a buffalo, and it manages to look like a buffalo in a simple, iconic fashion.

Also it has, you know, actual sabres. Which is a plus for a team named the Sabres.

And shame on anyone saying "it's ok for the Sabres to only play up the city name and not the team name. Boston does it!" Buffalo isn't Boston and the Sabres are not the Bruins.

Well opinions on logos are subjective and I personally do not like the Sabres original look. I thought it was a bad look even before the "Goat Head" (Why is it called that, it looks like a Buffalo to me) jerseys were released and here a few reasons why...

Well opinions on logos are subjective and I personally do not like the 90s black, red, and silver look.

As for why it's called the goat head, I didn't make it up. If I had to guess why people confuse it I would say it's because it's to angry. Yep. You see you're never get a buffalo (or a goat for that matter) to look like that in real life. So the design takes liberties with what people associate with buffalos. When you do that you run the risk that people will no longer be able to instantly recognize it as a buffalo. Hence goat head. Just my guess.

Or maybe some people just think it's a poorly designed buffalo head that looks like a goat. Either or.

Its not that the Buffalo doesnt feature three types of shading its because it features none at all. It looks 2 Dimensional and lifeless.

Toronto Maple Leafs. Montreal Canadiens. Boston Bruins. Philadelphia Flyers. Dallas Stars. New Jersey Devils. These teams have looks that would fit your definition of two dimensional and lifeless. One doesn't need overly aggressive style and layers of shading and detailing to make a good logo. Sometimes less is more, sometimes it's nice to have a logo that's simple, easily recognizable, and iconic.

Also the orginal jerseys were as bad as the logo itself. Why were the colours on the Sleeve stripes reversed from the ones on the hem stripes on the white jersey? Wouldn't it tie the look together more if the striping matched? Why didnt the Blue jersey feature any white on the striping? Making one of the three yellow stripes white would go a long way to a more cohesive set. Lastly, why didnt they bother coming up with a secondary mark instead of replicating the primary logos on the shoulders? Did the jerseys really need three of those logos on them?

Consistency can be nice, and in some cases (Atlanta, Minnesota, Edmonton) is badly needed. It's not always necessary, or even preferable though. Sometimes the pattern a team uses on their primary look (which for most teams is the dark sweater) just doesn't look good when replicated and reversed for the change sweater (usually the white one). In Buffalo's case they did something pretty rare with their home blues. They managed to create a simple two-colour striping design that did not use white. Just royal blue and athletic gold. Now of course solid yellow isn't going to look good on a white sweater, so they changed things up. Nothing wrong with that. One of the favourite North Stars looks, the 1988-91 set, did the same thing. Sometimes replicating a pattern exactly from sweater to sweater doesn't work, so you need to tweak it. It's not a sign of bad design, in fact it's the opposite in that they thought outside the box enough to not simply replicate the striping from one sweater to the other and end up with a bad design.

As for the logos, I will agree with you there. I don't know why they did that. I do know, however, that they didn't replicate that with the current set.

Hopefully that clears up why I dont like the Sabres original look. I realise its not a popular opinion but if everybodies tastes were the same these boards would be pretty dull.

Hopefully this will clear up why I don't like the 90s black, red, and silver Sabres look.

The logo lacks any representation for the "Sabres" name. No disrespect to the city of Buffalo or the Sabres, but the city is not on the same level as Boston or New York where you can play up the civic identity almost completely. Buffalo's just not at that level. The Sabres are not a classic franchise that can afford to do that either. Sorry, I just feel like a team from Buffalo should incorporate the team nickname into their identity. They can use the buffalo too, but they should have both.

The colours are trendy 90s fare that completely broke with the traditions the Sabres did have. It wasn't an evolution of the previous look, it was a complete break with it, and I hate it when teams do that.

The logo is just one of the many aggressive snarling animal logos from the 90s. Which is what bugs me most about the entire 1996-2006 Sabres look. It looked like the result of a 90s uniform and logo focus group. Nothing original or unique to the team. Now I will grant that it was one of the better looking 90s sets (I do really like the sweater design) but it was still a very 90s oriented design that looks like someone with focus group results and no knowledge and/or respect for the team's traditions designed it.

I do agree that a variety in taste makes this place interesting. I wasn't trying to prove you wrong or change your opinion. I was just stating why I like what you dislike and dislike what you like.

Count me among those who like the red and black Sabres the best. I never confused it for a goat, I don't see how anyone who knows what a bufflao and a goat looks like could. :therock:

I don't like the original logo, but I don't hate it. It definitely looks outdated though. Something about it just says "old." Maybe it's the featureless, blobby buffalo. I don't know.

What I did hate is how the original jerseys had the exact same logo appearing three times. Terribly unoriginal and boring.

Here is why I feel this logo sucks:

zzzzaaaa2.png

The buffalo is not as far away from the left sabre as it is from the right. The sabres themselves are symmetrical and are in a circle (which is obviously symmetrical), but the buffalo is not equidistant from the left and right sabre.

The buffalo is not in the middle of the circle. It is closer to the right by a wide margin.

There are motion lines going in two different directions for some odd reason. So what is the buffalo doing? Is it charging forward, but also somehow diving downward at the same time? Is it lowering its head to drill something, but also going airborne to headbutt something like Balrog/M. Bison? It comes off as neither and it seems as if the buffalo is just sitting there with random motion lines.

All this AND the fact that I feel it looks dated as hell with no detail in the buffalo or sabre. Perhaps an accent line or two (nothing too drastic) would not make it look old and "vintage"

I respect those who disagree with me, but I think this is an awful logo, one of the worst in the NHL. And by the way, the updated one with the silver is even more dreadful.

Let me ask a few questions? Why does the buffalo have to be symmetrically in the center between the two swords? If you are really trying to figure out what the buffalo is doing, then you have way too much time on your hands and need to find a hobby or get a job. The reason you can't figure out which way it's going is because you don't understand perspective. It's not going right to left, it's actually going right to left at an angle. Hence why the rear legs are smaller than the front legs, it's a perspective thing. Also, just because it doesn't have "detail" doesn't mean it's not good. It has less detail because it was of a different era and probably is a nod to the Native American drawings of animals in caves and on rocks etc. which didn't have much detail.

The buffalo needs go be symmetrically in the center because between the two swords because the sabres are centered in the circle themselves. Having two differently spaced items in the logo doesn't look good.

You said that the logo is going right to left at an angle. Ok, so which angle? It can't be going up AND down.

I guess you don't understand what this forum is about eh, oddball? I have too much time on my hands and need to find a hobby or get a job? You have almost 3,000 posts because you partake in various activities such as posting on internet message boards and watching a sports team on television. Yeah, man I need to find a hobby, not you. Riiiiiiight.

I don't care if this logo is a nod to the Native American drawings of animals because if it was, there is a better way to do it for a sports logo. A sports logo, not a drawing.

I have a theory that every oddball post is exactly four lines long. No succinct one-liners and no longform analyses, just strange views articulated strangely over four lines. They're also redundant and combative.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Original sabres logo rules. One of the best. Just got done reading the above arguments - pretty entertaining stuff, especially the "medievil lightsaber" comparisons....

Anyways -- the perspective of the buffalo is moving toward you, and to the left. Like - picture a train engine as a logo, and illustrated to look like it was coming sorta toward the viewer, but still right to left. As for symmetry....the distance from the tail to edge, and head to edge isn't relavent - its the overall weight of the image. It is perfectly centred in my book (not that its any kind of valid argument against the logo even if it wasn't.) As for the lack of details -- its a logo, not a photograph. Logos shouldn't be aiming for photo-realism, or else why not just put an actual picture of a buffalo on there? Logos, to me atleast, should be symbols - representations of whatever they are trying to convey, and the less details/shading/gradients/colour variety needed to convey it, the better. I'm sure I've mentioned it on this board dozens of times, but I feel like a logo should be imediately recognizable from a good distance, like on a little tv, or from less-then-great seats at the arena (tonnes of detail doesn't accomplish that at all, it just muddy's things up.) Also, simplicity is a strength, not a weakness -- think of all the iconic logos, including outside of sports.....theres a reason they achieved that status, and it isn't just that they've been around a long time (though it ofcourse helps.)

Anyways - just my opinions. If you don't like it, thats cool. And if you think logos should be super detailed thats cool too. Different strokes....no disrespect intended.

Hopefully, the backs of the Penguins Winter Classic jerseys don't look like the player tee leaked on Puck Daddy yesterday. I'm on mobile so I can't link, but the shirsey uses the Helvetica Bold-like font the Rangers used in '77.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hopefully, the backs of the Penguins Winter Classic jerseys don't look like the player tee leaked on Puck Daddy yesterday. I'm on mobile so I can't link, but the shirsey uses the Helvetica Bold-like font the Rangers used in '77.

Without actually having seen the jersey, I will personally guarantee it will.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Welp, that's no surprise. Icethetics had a mock-up that matched this to a T.

That being said, I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping that Pittsburgh would go the black-&-yellow route, maybe one of those yellow jerseys that they wore as a third option way back when. But this one isn't bad at all.

Overall, this will be a decent-looking classic. Nowhere near the best, but definitely passable.

Archived