XXI Olympic Winter Games

WJMorris3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People that will carry the torch on Thursday and Friday through Vancouver leading up to the actual lighting of the cauldron.

- Steve Nash on Thursday

- Walter Gretzky, Rumors are swirling that Wayne will also carry it.

- Sebastian Coe former British Gold Medal winner and is at the head of London's 2012 Summer Games organizing committee. Will hand the torch to Gov. Schwarzenegger

- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger around 7:03am Friday @ Stanley Park

- Rolly Fox father of Terry Fox near English Bay.

- Stan Smyl & Richard Brodeur (Former Canucks)

- Bob Lenarduzzi (Manager and former player for the Whitecaps)

- Gareth Rees (Former Canadian Int'l Rugby Player)

- Lui Passaglia (Former BC Lion Kicker and CFL HOFer)

- Julie Payette (Canadian Astronaut)

- Jann Arden (Canadian singer)

- Micheal Buble will carry the torch the final leg before handing off to Ken Lyotier who will light the torch.

- Ken Lyotier will light the cauldron

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/torch/news/newsid=32637.html?cid=rsstsn

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I just hope there's an early gold medal win so we can put that "only country to host and not win a gold medal" story to bed quickly.

Womens Moguls, and Short Track 1500m are on the Saturday, and Canada has an excellent chance at gold in both those events.

1zqy8ok.gif

Bold prediction: Canada will win ten times the combined number of gold medals they won in their last two hosting efforts. A performance of that magnitude would be lauded throughout Canada, I'm sure.

25k1qg3.jpg

That being said, I'm gonna be looking forward to 3 sports: nowboarding, curling, & hockey. That matches the 3 sports that I care about in the summer olympics: Sprinting, women's volleyball (indoors & out) & basketball. I mean yeah, sure, I'll find a sport to watch to pass time, but those will be the only sports that I have a vested interest in. Go USA! :flagusa:

I had discovered over the early winter that our cable package includes NBC Universal Sports. So I've been able to catch winter events I normally wouldn't see, such as bobsledding, ski jumping, etc.

Aside from figure skating and ice dancing, I'll watch just about any Winter Olympic event. They trump the hell out of the Summer Games.

Are you in Vancouver for the games, Hedley? I was openly inquiring about Vancouver's paucity of snow, not addressing you in particular. Sorry for being unclear.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Are you in Vancouver for the games, Hedley? I was openly inquiring about Vancouver's paucity of snow, not addressing you in particular. Sorry for being unclear.

Heh...I just thought you were being a wiseass....

I'm not currently there. I'm thinking of going there the second week of the Games, just to check things out. And possibly deliver some snow....

Rumor is Gretzky will be the final torch bearer.

Wayne Gretzky was on the cover of a BC newspaper with speculation he was going to be the "lighter of the cauldron" but the VANOC chief may have denied it by saying:

I have gone to bed and woke up every day for the last 90 days praying I wouldn't see it on the front page of the paper -- and so far it hasn't.

And so far I can tell you this: you can think about this as long as you'd like and you can think about the last moments of the ceremonies as long as you'd like and you're not going to figure it out.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=38784.html#furlong+you+going+figure+out

Betty Fox would be a very good choice IMO.

Today the first event takes place, even prior to the Opening Cerimonies.

Ski Jumping's Normal Hill Individual Qualifying starts at about 9PST/12EST.

If you're anywhere in the world except the USA it will be online at ctvolympics.ca

For you American's I'll keep my eyes out for any links if people are interested.

1zqy8ok.gif

Beats the hell out of sunshine and 60 degrees, like we normally get.

Actually today, we're looking at sunshine and 60 degrees.

I believe they've been able to wrangle enough snow from other mountains and via mechanics to get enough base down for the half pipe at Mt Seymour, which is where the snowboarding stuff is taking place. Whistler, being an hour and a half north, is more than fine for snow.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Georgian Luger Nodar Kumaritashvili was severely injured in a training run this afternoon in Whistler.

He's in life-threatening condition although many reports have that he has died, CTV just showed the video and it's really tragic.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/skeleton/news/newsid=39315.html?cid=rsstsn

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhSpeu2dgKk (Not for the faint of heart)

Terrible news my prayers and thoughts are with his family and yes it's horrible start to the games.

Also alot of luger's have complained about this track as it is the fastest in the world. Nodar was going 144 KM/h when he crashed.

Archived