White Sox unretire #11

BBTV

1. If you don't need spikes, then you don't need a uniform. NFL uses coaches as marketing tools for gear, and MLB is missing a similar opportunity. Just give'em some wind breakers and workout pants (or those athletic "stretch" khakis or whatever they're called) and they'll be able to exchange lineup cards and fight with umps just fine.

2. Retiring a number != transferring ownership of said number to the honored player. Where does it say "OK, Greg Maddux - here's the deed for #31. You can do with it what you want, and give it to any player that you want." It's retired. It belongs to the team. Shut up and pick a new number, you sally.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another interesting fact about today's manager is that Jim Leyland and Bobby Cox are the only two MLB managers that still wear spikes. Why do they do that? I have no clue. But they do.

There are times when Bobby Cox is wearing a glove while sitting in the dugout...while the game is going on. I don't think he does this every game....come to think of it, it's mainly when the Braves are playing at Florida when Cox wears a fielding glove in the dugout.

Another interesting fact about today's manager is that Jim Leyland and Bobby Cox are the only two MLB managers that still wear spikes. Why do they do that? I have no clue. But they do.

Why? Why? Because he's Jim freakin' Leyland, that's why. Most managers don't smoke a pack of Marlboros per game, either. That guy's done some hard living. He looks 80.

Bobby Cox wears a glove in case he sees his wife during the game and needs to cushion the blow OH YEAH I WENT THERE

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived