Sign in to follow this  
rentz

Southern California Trojans

trojan1.png

In my opinion USC has a pretty weak identity. Their main logo is a simple interlocking SC monogram, and the Trojan logo, while it looks good on the helmet, doesn't seem to be used often on merchandise and isn't really iconic. It seems to sell a ton of merchandise, but I felt they could have a stronger identity.

I've made the new primary logo, which is an update of this logo. I added shoulders and armor. I created a new monogram that I'm not sure about but I'll see what you guys think. The wordmark is an update of the one they use now.

trojan2.png

I also created some uniforms. It's become a bit of a cliche to use the cuff pattern I have used on the shoulders, but I think it looks really good. The facemask is yellow now, which I think is 100x better than grey. I changed the pants stripe from double to single, as I think it works more with the design. Honestly these are nothing mind-blowing and similar to many that people have done before, and after looking some up I've noticed that chestnutz' in particular is almost identical to my design. So, sorry for any similarities that there are but it was unintentional.

trojans.png

All C+C is welcome.

That updated trojan head look really nice, but it terminates really oddly, especially when it's alone. I'd just have it terminate at the neck.

The script looks perfect, looks great on the unis. That 'pattern' you have just isn't working for me. If it was used only subtlely, I wouldn't mind. But you used that too much.

Not a fan at all. The USC word mark does not translate at all. The USC they have now is infinitely better. Carrying that pattern over to the sleeves does not work at all... at least not when it is that big. If it was just a small detail around the cuff of the sleeve, it MIGHT work. The Yellow facemask makes it look like a highschool team. i would stick with a gray face mask.

As for the logo... It's pretty good. Maintains the style from the current logo and translates well.

As a whole... i don't think it is anywhere close to the same level as what they have now. It shows potential but i think was executed poorly.

I LOVE the primary. The shoulders make it amazing. He has a bit of a smirk too, Chicago Blackhawks style, and I think it works great. The only thing I can say that I do not like of the primary is the feathering? on the top of the helmet. The amount of yellow on the top is making the entire logo a bit top-heavy, the original used much less yellow on the helmet feathering, and I think it helped take the focus back to the smirking face of the Trojan rather than the feathering.

I don't really care for the USC mark, a variation of their SC would probably work bets, it's somewhat iconic. Possibly the SC used now outlined with the pattern. It would be very small, and not seen in sized down versions, but it could look great.

I like the simplicity of the uniforms, very USC. I think that maybe trying the pattern on the shoulders on the pants as well might bring it all together, but it may also make it too busy. With the new logo it might also be fun to make a ProCombat-esque alternate that uses the idea of the added shoulder armor.

Just a few ideas, great concept.

I really like the primary logo, very well done. I also like the uniform sleeves, which I would call "squared waves." That's a clever touch.

This has a lot of good parts, but there are some tweaks that would help this. I really like the way you rendered the Trojan. The shoulders are necessary IMO. I agree with mcrosby about the feathering. It could use a little work. The wordmark and USC mark also aren't to where the Trojan is yet. The uniforms are solid, but nothing groundbreaking. Still, most of that Trojan is awesome!

The primary is stunning. I've always loved the tommy trojan statue logo, and they used it the first year I saw them play (I don't remember the logo, but it is probably my first sports memory). You're version is even better than the original. I can't give you enough props. I like the greco-roman maze word mark as well. But for what its worth, I have a tendancy to ignore fatal flaws in cool concepts.

I really like the update to the Trojan head logo and the pattern but for some reason I don't know about it on the sleeves like that... maybe down the side of the jersey and pants? I have always thought that pattern would look cool used at the helmet strip similar to what Hawaii does.

If you want to incorporate the square wave whatever the hell it is... it should just be around the collar and elastic sleeve band of the jersey. that is the only way it will look good.

i like it overall. i think the cuts in the guys helmet "mane" are too big in places. its a bit distracting.

i dont like the pattern on the sleeves either. it was worth a shot to try but i just dont think it works. maybe use it as trim around the collar and sleeves, if its a lot smaller it could work better

also not a fan on the word mark. dosnt fit the logo at all

Okay first off I'll start with what I think works because I think it works well, and could work very well with just a little more tweaking. The Trojan himself is a really big upgrade over the one in the linked file. I still think it needs some work, you have some strange mitres going on on the v at the bottom of his neck and I think the position of the apex of that point could actually do with moving to the left slightly to line up better with the centre of the neck, but the face is really great. The plume on his helmet could also do with some more work, and while it may not be true to the original I think it might benefit the design if it were slightly shorter at the back. So great start with that congrats.

I'll be honest I'm not sold on the USC wordmark, I tend to get more of an aztec/mayan vibe from the "snake" like inlay you have in there. That may be a personal thing but it doesn't scream greece and trojan warriors to me. I also feel that on the uni's it's a bit overpowering at it's current size, someone suggested using it for the neck and cuff tape in a similar way to the Seminoles and I think that may work better if you decide to keep it, a little less overbearing.

Right so that leaves the script, I'm gonna put this as tactfully as I can, it's not good. It's really not good. For a script to succeed it needs to look like it was written with an angled nib pen, it should have varying line thickness, the letters should connect in believable ways and the letters should all slant at the same angle. As it stands right now your script does none of those things. The line is a constant weight, except on the arms at the top of the T which are different thicknesses on either side of the stem. The ligature between the R and O and the one between the J and A look like they've just been added anywhere to make the letters join up, there's been no thought as to how the pen would flow to create natural joins and as a result just look dropped in there. Then there are the letters that sit at differing angles the prime example being the A and N. The stem at the back of the a should in theory run parallel to the vertical stem on the lower case n but right now it's not even close. Right now the a is pointing to 11 on a clock face and the n is heading somewhere between 1 or 2, even taking into account the fact that the baseline of the script is a curve cant explain why the two letters vary so wildly in orientation. The best advice I can give would be to pretty much scrap what you have right now and go off and learn a little about calligraphy. There are numerous websites that will show you how the letter forms are created and from these I'm sure you'll be able to see how the letters should naturally flow into one another and once you understand that I'm sure you'll produce a script that looks as professional as the Trojans head does.

9erssteve

the "usc" wordmark may be excessive and may not fit in , but it is very well done and i love it .

I don't like the USC wordmark. The rest is ok though. The sleeve pattern- i think it'd look good under the arms going down to the pant. That way it's not noticeable but at certain angles.

I like it for the most part though. Plain sleeves with the number on them, and the sleeve pattern used down the sides would be great though, imo.

Looking at the USC wordmark- try playing with what you have there. Connecting the letters so they form that same pattern on the sleeves might work. Turning the S to do so may be ok for an alternate.

I don't understand why anyone that isn't colorblind would want grey face masks on any uniform that doesn't have gray in it's scheme though.

I think this is a really good update to what they got, your update of the Primary logo looks great, I think you could do without the armor though. The USC wordmark is alright, it might be better without the pattern but I think you executed it very well. I love the uniforms, I think thats what they should have now. I also think the yellow facemask works since it matches the rest of the uniform but a gray facemask would work well since the uniforms are kind of simple.

Thanks for all the comments. I had been fiddling with this for a while and while I knew it wasn't complete, I couldn't figure out what I needed to do. That's why I love this forum, it helps to have a fresh set of eyes look at it because I've found they more easily spot problems and abnormalities than I do. So yeah, the feathering was an issue, so I've sought to fix that. I made it mostly red. Hopefully that fixes the balance issues of the logo. I've found that the logo looks infinitely better on a red background than a white one. While that is problematic for a primary logo, it is okay I think because it would be on a red background (helmet, merchandise, etc) most of the time.

I agree that the way the shoulders terminate is a bit awkward. I'm having trouble fixing that. I think I may try a full-body Trojan logo to be used as an alternate. While it's quite ambitious I think that the head logo within the context of that would make a bit more sense because I'm concerned the shoulders/armor is not reading properly.

I'm scrapping the USC monogram. It seems to have worked a lot better in my head that in practice.

For the script logo-- thank you steve for your honest comments! I don't really do scripts very often so I'm not exactly familiar with how to do them. I'll certainly look into how to make it better. I essentially traced this logo, and tried to modernize it a bit. But your comments are appreciated, and I'll try to implement the things you said.

For the jerseys-- I was surprised how many people found the pattern to be intrusive! I've seen it done on several concepts before to positive response. It is based on the cuff pattern of their mascot. To be clear, I don't think their jerseys need a change-- they have one of the best sets in the NCAA. I just figured if I was making a concept I'd give the jerseys a try. But anyway, I won't post an image because it would be such a minimal change, but I would have the jerseys basically be what they have now with a red facemask and a single pant stripe.

Here's an update of the primary:

trojan3.png

C+C appreciated.

your curves flow a lot better in the updated version. this is quite nice - i'd like to see the version on white have the red come down to a point where his sternum and pec muscles would be, rather than a contoured outline like you had before. does that make sense? either way, this is a very nice update. unfortunately i can't stand the university of spoiled children, but that has no bearing on your design :P