East Irvington Clovers - Historical School Branding

Ben Schwartz

The way it will be layered is this: the keyline will by a solid white shape. That will be on the bottom. Next is your black shape. The is your outline color here; your base color. The next layer will be the green layer. This is where you draw in the highlights of the clover while leaving the shadows and less defined areas in black. This is also where you start to build and vary your line weight. It's done simply by varying the distance of the inner (green) shape(s) from the outer (black) shape. You can start with everything equal and do it by hand, or you can draw it in more 'finished' after you get some practice and then just refine it at the end.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Thicker more even shadows:

East-Irvington-Clovers-Primary-B-7.png

Alright.

First off, I'm in no way trying to steal you're spotlight or anything, I'm just trying to help you improve.

I created a quick idea here of what this could look like when done with a certain technique. Notice the shapes and slight simplifications I have made. Again, I'm not saying that this is a path that you should follow, but I'm just trying to give you an idea of what I've been talking about the past couple posts. (I could've done this with any logo, really).

What you should do when you come across two seperate but relatively close shapes is think to yourself: Could I make this simpler and less odd? If you look at the joinings of the folds in the clover and the outline itself on your version, they're two seperate shapes. What I did is decide to join them together, and form a whole different shape, and in all aspects this makes this pleasing to the eyes.

So what I'm trying to say here is this: try using simpler and more geometric shapes, because in all honesty, this could make your logo so much more flowing and pleasing to the eyes. Again, use the pic as a reference, I not trying to force you down a path in any way.

Thicker more even shadows:

East-Irvington-Clovers-Primary-B-7.png

Alright.

First off, I'm in no way trying to steal you're spotlight or anything, I'm just trying to help you improve.

I created a quick idea here of what this could look like when done with a certain technique. Notice the shapes and slight simplifications I have made. Again, I'm not saying that this is a path that you should follow, but I'm just trying to give you an idea of what I've been talking about the past couple posts. (I could've done this with any logo, really).

What you should do when you come across two seperate but relatively close shapes is think to yourself: Could I make this simpler and less odd? If you look at the joinings of the folds in the clover and the outline itself on your version, they're two seperate shapes. What I did is decide to join them together, and form a whole different shape, and in all aspects this makes this pleasing to the eyes.

So what I'm trying to say here is this: try using simpler and more geometric shapes, because in all honesty, this could make your logo so much more flowing and pleasing to the eyes. Again, use the pic as a reference, I not trying to force you down a path in any way.

Thank you now I see what you meant! I am going to work on what you did with the creases in the clover, that looks more natural. So you think I should dump the much thicker black parts? Idk about the unibrow, I think I'm going to keep the eyes the way they are and maybe just make the black of the mouth bolder and possibly try that hook instead of the disconnected crease I currently have. The most recent update I had done kinda of put me further away than what you were talking about so thanks for your pic! I'll use it for ref.

Thanks again,

Ben

doctorwhozimmermansmall.pngeastdillon.png

walt.png

Alight.

Thank you now I see what you meant! I am going to work on what you did with the creases in the clover, that looks more natural. So you think I should dump the much thicker black parts? Idk about the unibrow, I think I'm going to keep the eyes the way they are and maybe just make the black of the mouth bolder and possibly try that hook instead of the disconnected crease I currently have. The most recent update I had done kinda of put me further away than what you were talking about so thanks for your pic! I'll use it for ref.

Thanks again,

Ben

The unibrow wasn't to necessarily a suggestion, I just used that to prove my point.

Looking foward to this next update.

Alight.

Thanks again,

Ben

The unibrow wasn't to necessarily a suggestion, I just used that to prove my point.

Looking foward to this next update.

Alright here we go, am I back on track here?

East-Irvington-Clovers-Primary-B-9.png

doctorwhozimmermansmall.pngeastdillon.png

walt.png

Yes! So much cleaner and flowing, it could be a little thicker, but this is starting to look more and more like a logo.

There's one thing I've been noticing however, the choppiness of your lines. This can tend to be somewhat distracting, and I think I know what's the issue.

If Photoshop (or whatever program) is similar to Inkscape, i think you;re adding too many node points to your paths, and you can't smooth it out because it has it's own path within. If you know what I menat, you could easily fix this. I add the points where I know I can't bend the path around the way I want to. in this case, it's most likely be the ends of the clover that point inward, the base and point of the folds in the leaves, and the four points in the stem.

Again, disregard this if you don't do this same process, but if you do, I'd practice using as few nodes as possible, it really makes your logo look clean.

Something about the eyes still bother me, I think you should consider forming those wrinkles more aligned with the eyes, and possibly make them bigger. Try using just two circles for the iris and pupil at the most (and maybe a highlight circle or two), looks a little too cartoony.The stem also looks a little flat, I'd take a shot at giving it a more tubular shape.

Archived