America's Cup Back where it Belongs

NJTank

We cant let this story slip by but the USA has won back the America's Cup.

We had the cup for over 100 years before losing it in 1983 then we got it back in 87 and lost it again in 1995.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4913750

VALENCIA, Spain -- Larry Ellison's space-age trimaran BMW Oracle won back the America's Cup for the United States by speeding across the Mediterranean and routing two-time defending champion Alinghi of Switzerland in a two-race sweep....

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

We cant let this story slip by but the USA has won back the America's Cup.

We had the cup for over 100 years before losing it in 1983 then we got it back in 87 and lost it again in 1995.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4913750

VALENCIA, Spain -- Larry Ellison's space-age trimaran BMW Oracle won back the America's Cup for the United States by speeding across the Mediterranean and routing two-time defending champion Alinghi of Switzerland in a two-race sweep....

Yes we can (no Obama pun intended).

I am not a sailor, but as a sport fan, I do not think that ANY championship/organization has lessened it's importance in terms on a global scale than the America's Cup, period. Not in the last decade, not even in the last 50 years. All other North American work stoppages have done less damage to their images than the America's Cup.

Since the 1998, Dennis Connor's catamaran versus big boat contest, they dropped off the sport scale in terms of relevance. They had it all in their hands after Australia II beat Stars and Stripes in 1983, if the rules in terms of competition was kept the same, but no, rich people had to take other rich people to court!

Deed of Gift is not in the best interest of competition or the fans, thus court challenges come about. Such a hot mess.

This is the first time I have ever heard of this "America's Cup"

If it was held today, which I am guessing it was, what a horrible day to hold it! The Olympics are on and on top of that one of the biggest races of the year, Daytona 500, was held today ... And I thought the NHL schedule was bad .

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Yes we can (no Obama pun intended).

I am not a sailor, but as a sport fan, I do not think that ANY championship/organization has lessened it's importance in terms on a global scale than the America's Cup, period. Not in the last decade, not even in the last 50 years. All other North American work stoppages have done less damage to their images than the America's Cup.

Since the 1998, Dennis Connor's catamaran versus big boat contest, they dropped off the sport scale in terms of relevance. They had it all in their hands after Australia II beat Stars and Stripes in 1983, if the rules in terms of competition was kept the same, but no, rich people had to take other rich people to court!

Deed of Gift is not in the best interest of competition or the fans, thus court challenges come about. Such a hot mess.

Obviously you've forgotten about Tony George and how he destroyed open wheel racing and made it about as relevant as the America's Cup. Where is Tony George now? Fired and with nothing to do with the IRL, not even his race team.

Losing The America's Cup for the first time or whatever is was that stopped the winning streak was the only reason it ever got any attention from mainstream sports media in the first place.

I think it had some publicity when Ted Turner was involved in the 70s

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived