2010 MLB Season Thread

Gary

This is why sabrematrics is going to ruin baseball.

I believe in the following stats, Wins, losses, ERA, WHIP, and I believe Strikeouts are overrated

Quality Starts is a joke, WAR is a joke

Hitters

BA, HR, RBI, SB, R, OBP NOT OPS

These are the stats that win game, not quality friggen starts, if you give Felix the Cy Young you will make it as worthless as the Hank Aaron award.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe in the following stats, Wins, losses, ERA, WHIP, and I believe Strikeouts are overrated

I stopped reading here because I couldn't handle any more of the stupidity. How in God's green earth are strikeouts overrated? The point of even fielding a pitcher is to get strikeouts for Christ's sake! Any other methods of getting outs are nice but strikeouts are undoubtedly the most important one.

Never mind the importance of stats like BABIP (which determines whether a pitcher/rotation is lucky or unlucky) or DICE and FIP (which predict how a pitcher is going to do next year). Nope, apparently we're still in the 1930's and only wins matter! :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

What if Felix loses again, and finishes 12-13 how can you justify a losing pitcher winning the Cy Young. Its not like every other pitcher sucked. We have several other worthy candidates.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is why sabrematrics is going to ruin baseball.

Quality Starts is a joke, WAR is a joke

Hitters

BA, HR, RBI, SB, R, OBP NOT OPS

These are the stats that win game, not quality friggen starts, if you give Felix the Cy Young you will make it as worthless as the Hank Aaron award.

Tank, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Don't even bother, Tank will just ignore your argument and continue to whine about a pitcher winning the Cy Young with a losing record. Y'know, because sabermetrics are evil and the cancer that's ruining baseball - never mind the attention-seeking umpires, lack of full instant replay and a salary cap, and the trainwreck ownership situations of the Mets and Dodgers.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

With the Cardinals loss today the Reds' magic number is now at 2. I'd prefer for the Reds to clinch at home, but if it happens on the road then it happens on the road. I'm seriously hoping that the Cardinals don't lose and allow the Reds to clinch it themselves. I'd like to see a climactic on-field celebration that moves to the champagne party in the locker room so I'm hoping for situations in which the Reds clinch it themselves rather than watching the Cardinals on TV which would be decidedly anti-climactic. Is that weird?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well the Phillies have quietly assumed the best record in baseball, though Kyle Kendrick's suckiness is going to cost them that (and the ability to clinch a playoff spot) tonight. Finishing with the top record ensures that only H2O has to pitch in the DS and CS, and not even a 4th starter will be needed. That being the case, I hope that this kid doesn't even make the playoff roster. He has no role, and just kills them nearly every time he goes out there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And if we're arguing that wins don't matter, then Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt need to get consideration for the Cy Young, since they've had the worst or among the worst support in the league (Hamels has a few 1-0 and 2-1 losses I think, and Oswalt had a horrible record before coming over.) Not saying they should win it, but if wins are worthless, they both need to get consideration.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And if we're arguing that wins don't matter, then Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt need to get consideration for the Cy Young, since they've had the worst or among the worst support in the league (Hamels has a few 1-0 and 2-1 losses I think, and Oswalt had a horrible record before coming over.) Not saying they should win it, but if wins are worthless, they both need to get consideration.

I don't think anyone is saying wins for a pitcher are "worthless." My impression of the argument against wins is that they shouldn't be all that matters when looking at Cy Young candidates. An good example being that Felix Hernandez shouldn't be out of the running for the Cy Young just because his win-loss stats aren't as impressive as Sabathia's et al.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived