Sign in to follow this  
Gary

2010 MLB Season Thread

Is there any way I could nominate just this particular section of of this thread for the Gold mine? This one is starting to reach "stick won't injury you" territory.

Phillies officially clinched a playoff spot today.

I know it doesn't apply this year, but ever since I learned of the Phillies championship flag system (thanks to your sig) I've wondered what the Phillies would do if they ever earned a wildcard but didn't advance in the playoffs? white flag, blue outline, red number?

The Reds magic number is down to 1. They have the day off tomorrow. The Cardinals play the Pirates tomorrow night. I'm hoping they win the game so the Reds can do it themselves in front of the home crowd on Tuesday night. That would be the perfect ending to this playoff drought and might be the only storybook celebration moment for this team this year.

Phillies officially clinched a playoff spot today.

I know it doesn't apply this year, but ever since I learned of the Phillies championship flag system (thanks to your sig) I've wondered what the Phillies would do if they ever earned a wildcard but didn't advance in the playoffs? white flag, blue outline, red number?

I have no idea, I've wondered too. I hope it would just be nothing, since the WC isn't really something you "win", it's just something you fall in to after failing to win.

If a flag must be made, I would suggest gray, with red numbers and blue trim, just to sufficiently separate it from the white divisional flags.

Oh, and technically, it still could apply to this year. They haven't clinched the division yet, just no worse than WC. I just jumped the gun by a day or two and gave them the white flag for this year, since they technically make one and fly it during the playoffs until it gets (hopefully) replaced by the different colored one. I've always wondered what happened to the white and blue 2008 flags, and the white 2009 flag.

RIP 2010 Red Sox. Fittingly, a potential incredible, hilarious, awesome, faith-inspiring comeback win vs. NYY turns to essentially season-ending extra-inning loss on a walk-off walk to Jose Miranda (Who, you ask? Exactly.).

On the bright side, Daniel Bard is all rested for the White Sox after pitching yesterday in a 7-0 game. What great managing!

Ah, perhaps it is for the best I wasn't sucked in even further one final time only to (most likely) be let down again. As it was, it was a true roller-coaster ride that was more frustrating than rewarding but something about this 2010 team makes you respect them even more; with all the injuries and such, playing meaningful baseball on September 26th is something to be proud of. Until Spring Training. Beltre, please stay (on another 1-year deal so you can keep playing well).

RIP 2010 Red Sox. Fittingly, a potential incredible, hilarious, awesome, faith-inspiring comeback win vs. NYY turns to essentially season-ending extra-inning loss on a walk-off walk to Jose Miranda (Who, you ask? Exactly.).

On the bright side, Daniel Bard is all rested for the White Sox after pitching yesterday in a 7-0 game. What great managing!

Ah, perhaps it is for the best I wasn't sucked in even further one final time only to (most likely) be let down again. As it was, it was a true roller-coaster ride that was more frustrating than rewarding but something about this 2010 team makes you respect them even more; with all the injuries and such, playing meaningful baseball on September 26th is something to be proud of. Until Spring Training. Beltre, please stay (on another 1-year deal so you can keep playing well).

This is personal, I'm goijng to kill myslef!!!!!1

Sadly, I don't think we'll be seeing Adrian Beltre wearing Red Sox colors in 2011. A renewed deal with Victor Martinez is far more likely (Beltre is going to command way too much money/too many years on the open market.) Martinez can be signed on a three-year deal if the cash is right.

I'm excited to see where guys like Jed Lowrie and Ryan Kalish land. I wouldn't be surprised if Kalish started the season in Pawtucket and found his way back to Boston around mid-season. Lowrie, on other hand, has shown me enough to give him the starting SS position and keep Scutaro on the bench (or move him, if possible).

Guys like Papelbon and Ellsbury are another story altogether. Who knows what'll happen with them.

Ah, perhaps it is for the best I wasn't sucked in even further one final time only to (most likely) be let down again.

Didn't see the ending, but predicted Sox would win to set up the final 3 game set vs NY at Fenway, win the first, then blow Saturday and Sunday's games in dramatic fashion to end up on the outside.

Ah well, they didn't deserve the playoffs anyway.

As hard as the Braves have been sucking over this past week (swept by Phillies, lost ANOTHER series to the Nats), they still have a reasonable chance of at least making the playoffs with the wildcard. They have a chance to right the ship immediately by returning home. Got a series against the Marlins & Phillies. Hopefully the Braves turn on their "Hey wait, we're actually a pretty good team" switch on at the Ted, and hopefully the Phillies clinch the division and rest their best pitchers for the final series. Either way, it's time for them to stop :censored:ting their pants and start :censored:ting in the toilet like big boys.

That was a terrible analogy.

Personally, I'd like to see the Padres win the west and the Giants to win the wildcard. Sorry Braves fans, but I'd love for the Reds to play the Padres in the first round of the playoffs.

I say this with all due respect...

As someone who has followed and supported a laughingstock franchise with horrible ownership and management for as long as I can remember, a team that probably has no shot of winning anything for the forseeable future, a team that has caused the massive erosion of one of the proudest, best, and most knowledgeable fanbases in baseball history, a team that plays in the same division as the "Yankees, Jr." that you bellyache about while looking up to them in the standings year after godd*mn year....

Shut. The. :censored:. Up.

As someone who has followed and supported a laughingstock franchise with horrible ownership and management for as long as I can remember, a team that probably has no shot of winning anything for the forseeable future, a team that has caused the massive erosion of one of the proudest, best, and most knowledgeable fanbases in baseball history, a team that plays in the same division as the "Yankees, Jr." that you bellyache about while looking up to them in the standings year after godd*mn year....

Roy Halladay throws a two-hit shutout, and the Phillies clinch in front of their home fans... in Washington.

So their run to the division championship starts and ends the same way, a Halladay win in front of Philly fans in DC. :rolleyes:

The Cardinals won tonight against Pittsburgh so the Reds still have a magic number. Now all they have to do is beat the Astros tomorrow night and they'll clinch the division. Being that they start an hour earlier than St. Louis, they should conceivably end before the Cardinals game ends so they can have the on field wahoo I desire so much. I'll be upset if they lose, and then St. Louis loses and they blow my storybook moment. Don't :censored: this up for me, Astros.

OK. This cracked me up. Love the drama Ginger. You really need musical accompaniment when you wax philosophic about your Sawx.

Jigga, what can I say? Poetry. Pure poetry my man. B)

OK. This cracked me up. Love the drama Ginger. You really need musical accompaniment when you wax philosophic about your Sawx.

Jigga, what can I say? Poetry. Pure poetry my man. B)

I'm disappointed I missed this the first time. Dude's name is Juan Miranda, Mr. Sox fan.

Not like anyone noticed or cared but the Pittsburgh Pirates are 100 game losers this season. Another year of the seemingly endless futility Pirates fans (if there are any left) have had to endure since the Clinton administration.

Not like anyone noticed or cared but the Pittsburgh Pirates are 100 game losers this season. Another year of the seemingly endless futility Pirates fans (if there are any left) have had to endure since the Clinton administration.

Not much of anything can be said about this franchise's ineptitude anymore, but I want to say something about Pirates' fans. They still exist and will be back if this team ever starts winning. Yes, the attendance was 27th overall this year, but it was actually up from last season. The last homestand of the season drew over 70,000. This is in the midst of an 18 year losing streak, 100 loss season, and the Steelers were on at the same time. Give Pittsburgh the Rays' roster and watch PNC Park be at or near capacity all season.