2010 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Braves lose, Giants lose, Padres win.

Phase one of the Padres quest for the postseason is complete.

NL West: 2 games back

Wild Card: 1 game back

GO PHILLIES!

GO PADRES!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if the Padres, Braves, and Giants are all tied at the end of 162 games then we'd see an interesting double playoff. The Padres and Giants would play a one game playoff for the west and the loser of that game would go to Atlanta and play the Braves in a one game playoff for the wildcard. I'll be rooting for that scenario to play out because it sounds awesome.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Question on the tie-breakers. What happens if the Giants and Padres finish in a tie for the NL West and the both finished tied for the Wild Card with the Braves. I know tie-breakers are used if both teams make the playoffs, but in this case a playoff would be needed for the wild card game. So do they use tie-breakers to break the west tie and the loser from that plays a wild card playoff game against the Braves and if the West team losses that they are out? Or would it work with tie-breakers being used to determine you plays in the wild card playoff game and if the NL West team in that losses they then play the other West team to decide the Division (If the second place team win the Wild Card game then they would both be in and tie-breakers used to determine the division)? Or would they play a game to break the west tie and then the loser plays the Braves. Is there any information on this?

EDIT: Never mind McCarthy answered my question while I was writing that. Good timing.

So if the Padres, Braves, and Giants are all tied at the end of 162 games then we'd see an interesting double playoff. The Padres and Giants would play a one game playoff for the west and the loser of that game would go to Atlanta and play the Braves in a one game playoff for the wildcard. I'll be rooting for that scenario to play out because it sounds awesome.

That would be completely awesome. I would love for this to happen, with the Giants on the outside looking in at the end of it all.

IUe6Hvh.png

Actually, if all three teams end up at 91-71, the Braves are automatically in. The divisional tie would get broken first, and being an extension of the regular season, one team would win the division, and the other would fall a half game behind the Braves, giving them the Wild Card outright.

6fQjS3M.png

Actually, if all three teams end up at 91-71, the Braves are automatically in. The divisional tie would get broken first, and being an extension of the regular season, one team would win the division, and the other would fall a half game behind the Braves, giving them the Wild Card outright.

Would they really penalize the losing team like that? It doesn't seem very fair. I hope not I'd love to see 2 playoff games, but the situation probably won't come up anyway.

Would they really penalize the losing team like that? It doesn't seem very fair. I hope not I'd love to see 2 playoff games, but the situation probably won't come up anyway.

No. I heard it on today's Reds post game show and I found it in this article as well, http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_16232870?nclick_check=1

the line in the article that explains it is, "In case of a three-way tie between the clubs, the Giants and Padres would have a one-game playoff for the NL West title Monday at Petco Park and the Braves would await the loser for a wild-card playoff game Tuesday at Turner Field."

PvO6ZWJ.png

You know, if I'm the Phillies, and these scores hold? I throw tomorrow's game. If the Padres win, there is the potential to see a NL West team have to play Monday, Tuesday, and then Game 1 Wednesday. Either way, it keeps the Phils away from a rested NL West team.

In any case, the Phillies are just six outs away from clinching a tie for the best record in baseball. You have to go back to 1977 for the last time the Phillies had the best record in baseball.

LvZYtbZ.png

Wrong. This scenario almost played out in 2005. It was would have been between New York, Boston and Cleveland who were tied with the same record. I guess New York and Boston would have a playoff for the division title, and yes, the loser would fall half a game behind, but said loser would then play Cleveland for the wild card berth. This scenario was avoided because the Tribe lost 6 of 7 or something to the Royals and Devil Rays to close the season in typical fashion.

NL West team have to play Monday, Tuesday, and then Game 1 Wednesday. Either way, it keeps the Phils away from a rested NL West team.

Teams generally play 10 days in a row all year long anyway.

Plus it's the playoffs, so I think the Western team would still be pumped up

and playing those extra days wouldn't hurt too much.

It may even be a benefit, keeping the western team in a flow.

We'll see how it plays out.

I'd love the double playoff.

Imagine the pressure on the losing team going to Atlanta?

To possibly be the first baseball team to lose two one-game playoffs in the same season?

sig-1.png

My Padres bandwagon bump is working! :lol:

This is absolutely fantastic.

Either a Phillies sweep or a Padres sweep gives us at least one playoff. And if the Padres are going to be in a playoff anyways, I'm with the rest of you. I want chaos. Double playoffs FTW.

Go Padres!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

NL West team have to play Monday, Tuesday, and then Game 1 Wednesday. Either way, it keeps the Phils away from a rested NL West team.

To possibly be the first baseball team to lose two one-game playoffs in the same season?

Oksy, but then you have to figure that NL West team throws their ace and their #2 on Monday and Tuesday. Philly starts Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels in 1, 2, 3. Advantage, Phils.

My Padres bandwagon bump is working! :lol:

This is absolutely fantastic.

Either a Phillies sweep or a Padres sweep gives us at least one playoff. And if the Padres are going to be in a playoff anyways, I'm with the rest of you. I want chaos. Double playoffs FTW.

Go Padres!

Either-or, but not both. If the Phils and Padres both win, then the Padres win the NL West, no tiebreaker necessary (because the Giants would take the wild card anyways)

LvZYtbZ.png

Oksy, but then you have to figure that NL West team throws their ace and their #2 on Monday and Tuesday. Philly starts Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels in 1, 2, 3. Advantage, Phils.

I agree with willmorris, surprisingly. The Twins had to throw their best pitchers to end 2009 just to get into the playoffs, while the Yankees were fully rested and got to pitch their best 3 guys. The Phillies are lucky that they get the team that survives this entertaining mess.

I love the one game playoff that baseball uses, but why don't they just use head-to-head tiebreakers like every other sport? I think the winner of the 18 game season series is more telling of who is the more deserving team than the winner of the one game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree with willmorris, surprisingly. The Twins had to throw their best pitchers to end 2009 just to get into the playoffs, while the Yankees were fully rested and got to pitch their best 3 guys. The Phillies are lucky that they get the team that survives this entertaining mess.

But that's ONLY if the team that loses the NL West tiebreaker then goes and beats the Braves. If the Braves win, then the Phils get the Reds (but then again, they don't have to face nearly the rotation that they would if they had to face the Giants or Padres, IMO).

LvZYtbZ.png

Braves can't hit. The Phillies are hitting everything & even their damned rookies are throwing gas. Padres are making that "Frauds" proclamation look silly. Giants are making like the Padres earlier this week. Chaotic playoff scenarios could come to life tomorrow. This is my face during all of this.

rse79f.jpg

Archived