2010 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I love the one game playoff that baseball uses, but why don't they just use head-to-head tiebreakers like every other sport? I think the winner of the 18 game season series is more telling of who is the more deserving team than the winner of the one game.

Tradition. It goes back to before playoffs and there was just a World Series and the league champion was determined by record. If the teams tied they would play a playoff (3 game for the NL, 1 game for the AL). The NFL used to have playoff games for ties before the playoffs developed to more than one round. In 1958 before they played the Colts for the Championship the Giants had to beat the Browns in a playoff game because they tied. As more advanced playoffs and scheduling developed in the other sport the tie-breaker playoffs were dropped. Baseball has held onto them because of tradition and that their playoffs haven't expanded as much.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about exciting. Padres and Giants squaring off on the last day to see who wins the NL West with Atlanta also in the picture. I can't possibly imagine a three team playoff scenario, but it can happen.

Hell, even the AL East is still in the air (for now). I hope the postseason brings just as much excitement as these last few days of the season have been.

Sunday Scenarios:

Padres/Braves win = Double Playoff (NL West @ San Diego on Monday, Wild Card @ Atlanta on Tuesday)

Padres/Phillies win = NL West Playoff, Braves eliminated

Giants/Phillies win = Wild Card Playoff, Giants win NL West

Giants/Braves win = No playoff, Giants win NL West, Braves win Wild Card

Go Padres!

Go Braves (for tomorrow at least :P )

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Sunday Scenarios:

Padres/Braves win = Double Playoff (NL West @ San Diego on Monday, Wild Card @ Atlanta on Tuesday)

Go Padres!

Almost.

Padres/Phillies win = Padres win NL West, Giants win wild card. No playoff is played because both teams make the playoffs anyways and San Diego has the tiebreaker.

LvZYtbZ.png

Sunday Scenarios:

Go Padres!

Almost.

Padres/Phillies win = Padres win NL West, Giants win wild card. No playoff is played because both teams make the playoffs anyways and San Diego has the tiebreaker.

After double checking, you are right will ( :blink: what?). I didn't think that through. I did those pretty quick.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Braves can't hit. The Phillies are hitting everything & even their damned rookies are throwing gas. Padres are making that "Frauds" proclamation look silly. Giants are making like the Padres earlier this week. Chaotic playoff scenarios could come to life tomorrow. This is my face during all of this.

rse79f.jpg

Just do what I'm gonna do tomorrow:

Watch the Falcons game.

Braves can't hit. The Phillies are hitting everything & even their damned rookies are throwing gas. Padres are making that "Frauds" proclamation look silly. Giants are making like the Padres earlier this week. Chaotic playoff scenarios could come to life tomorrow. This is my face during all of this.

rse79f.jpg

Just do what I'm gonna do tomorrow:

Watch the Falcons game.

I actually thought about watching the Falcons but I can't turn away just in case the Braves win. I don't want the crazy playoff scenario to happen. There is too much at stake. Imagine how embarrassing it would be for Atlanta to lose to a team that just lost one playoff game then had to travel across the country. I can imagine it would be equally embarrassing for the Giants though because they had it in the bag.

I actually thought about watching the Falcons but I can't turn away just in case the Braves win. I don't want the crazy playoff scenario to happen. There is too much at stake. Imagine how embarrassing it would be for Atlanta to lose to a team that just lost one playoff game then had to travel across the country. I can imagine it would be equally embarrassing for the Giants though because they had it in the bag.

No matter what the Braves do, their fate won't be sealed until approximately 7pm tomorrow evening.

If the Yankees and Rays are tied after today then who gets the division and who gets the wildcard?

Division goes to whoever won the head-to-head series, which off the top of my head I think is the Rays.

Rays won the season series 10-8.

Archived