2010 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the second time these rumors have swirled around the Twin Cities, but rumor has it that Joe Mauer has signed with the Twins. 8 yrs, $184 million

Link

I won't believe it until it is on national sites, as this has happened here in the Twin Cities before. 23 million per year...so much for the hometown discount.

If true, it is good for MLB? For the Twins? For MLB, it's good spin (see the small markets do have stars), but a guy like Mauer would sell the sport well from New York or something.

For the Twins, it's only good if they are going to continue to be at least at midpoint of overall MLB payroll. If he takes up too much of their payroll, then they should have let him go.

It's now on ESPN...looks to be true.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5016230

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

it's official, Joe Nathan will be out the rest of the year

No surprise there. He's also about 35 and will miss into next year. This could be it...

That hurts. Closer by committee is something the Twins probably do not have the breathing room to do. And I really don't see who's gonna step up. And don't say Liriano. He does not have the head for it.

Unrelated: I went to the Target Field open house today. It's freaking beautiful. It's kinda weird not having the team playing in the worst MLB park...but I'll get used to it really fast.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This is the second time these rumors have swirled around the Twin Cities, but rumor has it that Joe Mauer has signed with the Twins. 8 yrs, $184 million

Link

I won't believe it until it is on national sites, as this has happened here in the Twin Cities before. 23 million per year...so much for the hometown discount.

If true, it is good for MLB? For the Twins? For MLB, it's good spin (see the small markets do have stars), but a guy like Mauer would sell the sport well from New York or something.

For the Twins, it's only good if they are going to continue to be at least at midpoint of overall MLB payroll. If he takes up too much of their payroll, then they should have let him go.

It's now on ESPN...looks to be true.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5016230

Good for Mauer. Staying home AND getting paid. :censored: the hometown discount, get your money. If you don't produce, they don't give you a hometown bonus, do they? Also, it's nice to see this once notoriously thrifty franchise open up the pocketbook for one of the top 5-10 players in the game today.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

it's official, Joe Nathan will be out the rest of the year

No surprise there. He's also about 35 and will miss into next year. This could be it...

That hurts. Closer by committee is something the Twins probably do not have the breathing room to do. And I really don't see who's gonna step up. And don't say Liriano. He does not have the head for it.

Unrelated: I went to the Target Field open house today. It's freaking beautiful. It's kinda weird not having the team playing in the worst MLB park...but I'll get used to it really fast.

Rumor has it The Twins are taking a look at San Diego's Heath Bell.

Target Field looks damned good on MLB 10 The Show so I'd imagine it's even better in person.

Mauer is indeed locked up until 2018. It's on MLB's website.

BB52Big.jpg

It's not like the Twins don't have money, Carl Pohlad was one of the richest owners in the game IIRC. I love this so much. Gah this is going to be the greatest summer of my life. Mad that I didn't get to go to the open house, we had the tickets. But I'm going to the first ever game April 2nd vs. Cards so I can't complain. On another note, I don't see losing Nathan as a HUGE deal. He was overrated as far as I'm concerned. A four run lead turns into a one run lead and ends with him getting out of a jam. He saved the game but dang, near heart attacks at age 15 can't be healthy for me.

I know it is only Spring Training, but today vs the Phillies starting roster...

Brian Matusz: 5.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K

I have never been more excited for the baseball season to start than right now. It is not only Matusz, Wieters, Tillman, Bergesen, Riemold, Hernandez all have me excited. .500 this year, playoffs in 2011, make it happen Dave!

Matusz really look like he's going to be a dominant pitcher. He's got the skills and confidence to succeed. So glad we took him in the 2008 draft. I wanted a posistion player at the time, but it would have been really stupid to pass on him. Its going to be alot of fun to watch Wieters and Matusz this year. I think both will emerge as the nest top superstars in the league. This will be a fun year to watch.

Good for Mauer. Staying home AND getting paid. :censored: the hometown discount, get your money. If you don't produce, they don't give you a hometown bonus, do they? Also, it's nice to see this once notoriously thrifty franchise open up the pocketbook for one of the top 5-10 players in the game today.

Apparently with the new ballpark and new broadcasting contracts, the Twins are slated to be somewhere in the top 10 in payroll. Guess Minneapolis-StP isn't really a small market anymore.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

SO glad to hear they locked him up longterm. I was dreading seeing him face the Jays 18 times a year when he was to become a FA and inevitably sign with Boston or New York.

SO glad to hear they locked him up longterm. I was dreading seeing him face the Jays 18 times a year when he was to become a FA and inevitably sign with Boston or New York.

Agreed. It's nice to see a star player that isn't going to end up in Boston or New York the first chance he gets.

BB52Big.jpg

The Mauer extension represents everything that is RIGHT with baseball. Yeah, the guy got paid. But he didnt have to go to New York or Boston. Im so sick and tired of the elitest attitude "Oh, hed sell the game better in New York" or "He'll get more exposure in Boston". Who cares. Any true baseball fan knows damn well who Joe Mauer is and how good he is. The fact that hes staying with the team that drafted him, which also happens to be his hometown and childhood favorite team, is a great story, and will hopefully set the bar for other "mid-to-small market teams" to do the same. The Twins were always a very likeable team in my mind, and I think this is a huge step forward for them and the game of baseball.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

It would be a shame if it came at the expense of the rest of the team. If they can't acquire stars to go around him, or keep other stars that they develop due to their commitment to him, does any of it really matter?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Alright Cubs fans (and Pirates, Royals, ect...) the new DSM-V coming out in 2013 is finally going to have a diagnosis for what you (we all) suffer from.

Infracaninophilia ? compulsively supporting individuals or teams perceived as likely to lose competitions.

Jason Heyward will start the year in Atlanta. If you guys have not had the chance to watch this kid, do it. He deserves all the attention he is getting right now.

He does look like a future superstar. I think he'll struggle to start the season though. Not saying its the wrong move to let him start the season. I've seen alot of prospects dominate in spring training, earn the roster spot, and then look overmatched in the majors. Nick Markakis really did that in 2006. There was alot of fans saying he should be demoted by May, but he really turned it on by August. Hopefully the Braves and their fans won't get discouraged if he looks real bad in April and May because he could be alot of fun to watch when he adjusts mid season.

Ian Desmond will start the year as the Nats starting shortstop. Its about time for this kid whose been a prospect since the Expos days.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived