2010 MLB Season Thread

Gary

The much anticipated return of Doc Halladay to Toronto may not happen this year. As people in Toronto know, the Federal Government decided to host the G-20 at the MTCC, instead of Exhibition Place. With that, comes a secure zone from Yonge to Queen to Spadina to Lakeshore. The Rogers Centre sits smack dab in the middle of this. What is certain is the Sunday game between Toronto and Philadelphia is not going to happen. I havent heard anything about the Saturday game, but I've heard that it's possible that there could be a double header on Friday, or the entire series could be moved somewhere else.(Philly most likely, or maybe San Juan?)

This is going to suck for Jays fans looking forward to the possible return of Doc. Thank your local MP <_<

1zqy8ok.gif

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The much anticipated return of Doc Halladay to Toronto may not happen this year. As people in Toronto know, the Federal Government decided to host the G-20 at the MTCC, instead of Exhibition Place. With that, comes a secure zone from Yonge to Queen to Spadina to Lakeshore. The Rogers Centre sits smack dab in the middle of this. What is certain is the Sunday game between Toronto and Philadelphia is not going to happen. I havent heard anything about the Saturday game, but I've heard that it's possible that there could be a double header on Friday, or the entire series could be moved somewhere else.(Philly most likely, or maybe San Juan?)

This is going to suck for Jays fans looking forward to the possible return of Doc. Thank your local MP <_<

Well he wouldn't have been guaranteed to pitch in those games though. A double header would reduce those chances even more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well he wouldn't have been guaranteed to pitch in those games though. A double header would reduce those chances even more.

You're right, it was never a guarentee, but it's probably the only think most Jays fans were looking forward to this year. There hasn't been much news coming through on this front, but I will update this when I get further information.

In positive news for the Jays, we have given Adam Lind a new 4-year $18 million dollar contract to get through arbitration. On top of that, the team has 3 option years. Great move for the Jays, especially considering Vernon Wells is making more than that this year alone :wacko:

And the best news of it all. The Season is here. It's New Years Eve in my eyes tonight, eventhough there is a game tonight, the real stuff starts tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait.

1zqy8ok.gif

Even though the opener is tonight, I'll make my picks.

AL East

1. New York Yankees (Still the best team in the AL... and they got better)

2. Boston (Lackey is a great pickup for a team that had defensive issues last year)

3. Tampa Bay (Great young talent in bunches for the Rays... Too bad the Yanks and Sox are better)

4. Toronto (No Halladay = Long summer in Toronto)

5. Baltimore (If they were in the AL Central, the O's might be a contender)

AL Central

1. Minnesota (Good thing the new stadium has a very appropriate name because the Target is on their back)

2. Detroit (They came close last year... They'll be nipping on the Twins' heel again this year)

3. Chicago White Sox (The best thing about the White Sox is that you'll get some classic tirades from Ozzie)

4. Kansas City (If the Royals suffer, expect Grinke to get shipped before the trade deadline)

5. Cleveland (Wow... Wasn't this team a playoff contender a few seasons ago?)

AL West

1. Anaheim (They lost some big parts, but they are still the Angels... Which means trouble for everyone else)

2. Seattle (Even a fan, there are some big question marks: Can Cliff Lee produce on what is essentially a year loan? Can Milton Bradley keep his cool? Can they score some damn runs?)

3. Texas (If anything, the Rangers might be better then Seattle or possibly Anaheim on paper)

4. Oakland (Moneyball sure hasn't been too keen to the A's as of late)

Wild Card: Boston

NL East

1. Philadelphia (The Phils added Halladay for a reason: To win it all)

2. Atlanta (Bobby's swan song could be a return to glory for the Braves)

3. New York Mets (If they can keep the injury bug off of them, they could surprise some people)

4. Florida (The Fish will fight, no doubt. Too bad they can never keep their best players)

5. Washington (The Nats aren't as bad as they were last season... They'll be even better when a certain number 1 draft pick arrives in the Nation's Capital)

NL Central

1. St. Louis (Kinda hard to argue against how good the Cards are)

2. Chicago Cubs (Three things are certain: Death, Taxes and the Cubs not winning the World Series)

3. Cincinnati (The Reds might have something to make a move now)

4. Milwaukee (The Brew Crew's window is starting to fall a little faster now)

5. Houston (Things aren't looking up for the Astros, but at least they aren't the Pirates)

6. Pittsburgh (I'm sure the few Pirate fans left will wonder when the Steelers' training camp begins by mid to late May)

NL West

1. San Francisco (Possibly the deadliest 1-2 pitching duo in the NL resides here. Now, if they can just get some offense...)

2. Colorado (Tracy worked his magic after taking over... Let's see him do that over a full season)

3. Los Angeles (Mannywood is going to be quite a disappointment...)

4. Arizona (Hard to see the D-Backs as much of a threat. Maybe they can be called the Gardensnakes instead)

5. San Diego (Poor Adrian Gonzalez. One of MLB's best hitters and he's stuck with the Padres)

NL Wild Card: Atlanta

AL Division Series:

-New York def. Minnesota

-Anaheim def. Boston

NL Division Series:

-Philadelphia def. St. Louis

-San Francisco def. Atlanta

ALCS: Anaheim def. New York in 6 games

NLCS: Philadelphia def. San Francisco in 7 games

World Series: Philadelphia def. Anaheim in 7 games (Roy Halladay is named World Series MVP)

Too bad it's not possible for both these teams to lose. Since it isn't, I guess I'll root for the lesser of two evils; Go Yankees.

The Yankees are really the lesser of two evils?

Yes... :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Too bad it's not possible for both these teams to lose. Since it isn't, I guess I'll root for the lesser of two evils; Go Yankees.

Yes... :P

Fair enough. ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

In my world they are. There is only one team in all of professional sports that I can say I truly hate* and it's The Boston Red Sox. Sorry dude. It is what it is. :D

* I used the word hate simply because it's the quickest way to express my dislike of The Red Sox. I don't "hate" them in the true sense of the word. I just enjoy seeing them lose more than I enjoy seeing them win. I don't care enough to actually have an emotional connection to anything they do. In other words, I'm trying to explain that I don't take it that seriously.

BB52Big.jpg

In my world they are. There is only one team in all of professional sports that I can say I truly hate* and it's The Boston Red Sox. Sorry dude. It is what it is. :D

* I used the word hate simply because it's the quickest way to express my dislike of The Red Sox. I don't "hate" them in the true sense of the word. I just enjoy seeing them lose more than I enjoy seeing them win. I don't care enough to actually have an emotional connection to anything they do. In other words, I'm trying to explain that I don't take it that seriously.

No worries, I understand. I know the whole Boston sports fans being annoying thing, and if I hadn't grown up watching the Sox I'd probably hate them too. Just as I do the Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots. I would just expect someone without any connections to either team as a fan to hate the team that outspends the rest of the league by $60 or $70 million more than the other. ^_^

I mean, don't get me wrong, I definitely understand the dislike for the Sox.

IUe6Hvh.png

No worries, I understand. I know the whole Boston sports fans being annoying thing, and if I hadn't grown up watching the Sox I'd probably hate them too. Just as I do the Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots. I would just expect someone without any connections to either team as a fan to hate the team that outspends the rest of the league by $60 or $70 million more than the other. ^_^

Good point. Screw The Yankees. I'm back to hoping they both lose tonight. B) Seriously though, The Yankees are quickly closing in on The Red Sox in my "hate" department. I guess they hadn't bothered me that much over the past few years because they kept spending all that money and would end up with nothing to show for it. Now, they've won another title and they suddenly don't seem as "harmless" as they used to be. Well that and I "hate" A-Rod more every day.

BB52Big.jpg

Good point. Screw The Yankees. I'm back to hoping they both lose tonight. B) Seriously though, The Yankees are quickly closing in on The Red Sox in my "hate" department. I guess they hadn't bothered me that much over the past few years because they kept spending all that money and would end up with nothing to show for it. Now, they've won another title and they suddenly don't seem as "harmless" as they used to be. Well that and I "hate" A-Rod more every day.

Hypocrite :P

Hypocrite :P

Yeah but it's early in the season so I'm still getting my bearings.

BB52Big.jpg

It's taken a little bit away from my enthusiasm for Major League Baseball, I'll admit that much. It was comical when they'd spend $200 million and come up with nothing to show for it, but then when the MLB bended the rules last offseason regarding how many type A free agents a team can sign -- and while it wasn't directly for the Yankees, but really, what other team is going to sign more than 2 type A free agents? -- which resulted in the Yankees signing Teixeira, the combination of that and my having missed most of last season because of Basic Training and my Technical Training, my interest hasn't really recovered. I don't know, still love the game, but maybe joining the military made me realize that I might've cared just a bit too much and turned me into more of a casual fan.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived