2010 College Baseball Thread

WatsonTiger

I don't know if this is allowed, but I'm going to talk about a team that isn't LSU :rolleyes:

Living in Canada we don't get much college baseball at all. For somereason in my satellite package that has Sportsnet and TSN, we get the Big Ten Network. Good news for me, since I'm a big Michigan fan. They had the entire Michigan-Purdue Series this weekend. After losing the Friday game, the Wolverines came back to win 2 of 3. With the win Michigan is 19-11, and 4-2 in conference play, which is good for a tie for 2nd place in the conference.

As I said earlier I don't know much about College Baseball, but I know enough to know generally the more northern teams are weaker than those in the SEC, ACC and in the Southwest. But what I want to know is how the Big Ten stacks up to the rest of the country. Is the baseball I'm watching here comperable to that being played in the SEC?

its comparable becuase they are both college baseball , but other than that it really isnt . the big ten is much weaker than the SEC in baseball .

Well you also have to look at a couple of factors:

1) The Environments. Most of the Big Ten will spend the first 2 months of the season on the road.

2) The Funding, Iowa doesn't even play baseball so you actually have 10 teams in the Big Ten. However, the funding for these schools is sorely lacking scholarship wise just because of the sheer amount of sports these schools play. For every men's wrestling/rowing/fencing team, that takes a chunk of scholarship money away from baseball.

That being said, there are VERY competitive teams in the Big10. Ohio State routinely fields a solid team. Minnesota had a heckuva season last year. etc./

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this is allowed, but I'm going to talk about a team that isn't LSU :rolleyes:

Living in Canada we don't get much college baseball at all. For somereason in my satellite package that has Sportsnet and TSN, we get the Big Ten Network. Good news for me, since I'm a big Michigan fan. They had the entire Michigan-Purdue Series this weekend. After losing the Friday game, the Wolverines came back to win 2 of 3. With the win Michigan is 19-11, and 4-2 in conference play, which is good for a tie for 2nd place in the conference.

As I said earlier I don't know much about College Baseball, but I know enough to know generally the more northern teams are weaker than those in the SEC, ACC and in the Southwest. But what I want to know is how the Big Ten stacks up to the rest of the country. Is the baseball I'm watching here comperable to that being played in the SEC?

its comparable becuase they are both college baseball , but other than that it really isnt . the big ten is much weaker than the SEC in baseball .

Well you also have to look at a couple of factors:

1) The Environments. Most of the Big Ten will spend the first 2 months of the season on the road.

2) The Funding, Iowa doesn't even play baseball so you actually have 10 teams in the Big Ten. However, the funding for these schools is sorely lacking scholarship wise just because of the sheer amount of sports these schools play. For every men's wrestling/rowing/fencing team, that takes a chunk of scholarship money away from baseball.

That being said, there are VERY competitive teams in the Big10. Ohio State routinely fields a solid team. Minnesota had a heckuva season last year. etc./

No Big Ten team has been to Omaha in two decades. The 1984 U-M team has Barry Larkin, Hal Morris, Scott Kamieniecki and lead them to probation. In 2007, Michigan got to the Super Regional only to lose at Oregon State.

Some schools have improved facilities to allow both baseball and softball a better shot at competing.

Some schools have improved facilities to allow both baseball and softball a better shot at competing.

But you still have to compensate for the near-institutionalized suckitude at Indiana, which is one of those schools.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But you still have to compensate for the near-institutionalized suckitude at Indiana, which is one of those schools.

Have Mark Cuban assist IU.

Have Mark Cuban assist IU.

You can't really break the culture of losing without violating NCAA regs, as it were. Besides, he's too busy renovating rugby fields on campus.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yay! #5 Georgia Tech defeats Georgia by its largest margin of victory ever, 25-6, at Foley Field in Athens, GA tonight. Tech's record this year against UGA is 2-0, with one more game to play at the "neutral" Turner Field.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

App pitchers allowed 6 HRs in a crazy 11-10 win in Murfeesboro against ETSU. It was quite the game to listen to as ETSU's stadium is a band box (315 down the lines I believe)

My friend David Towarnicky is a finalist for the Lowe's CLASS Award... he definitely deserves it so please vote for him!

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Archived