Spotted colors

NDwas

Since I've been uploading dozens of MLB uniforms to the CCSL site, I've noticed that a lot of my updated graphics have a somewhat spotted appearance to them in terms of blues and blacks, as well as a white background that wasn't there before.

Examples

Old: 08shz1gyomhyn978fxghg671z.gif New: 490jygw68pmwicgelftjg802f.gif

Old: jc7z79ja3dxzma3hamewnrufe.gif New: g9gt778ung0f9epuafogxt8hg.gif

:huh: I'm sure I'm not going crazy here, but does anyone else see this? What is the reasoning behind it?

I've been saving the files the exact same way since I began doing this back in 2008, so this has kind of dumbfounded me. Should I start using PNG instead of GIF?

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Old black: Screenshot2010-02-15at045211PM.pngNew black: Screenshot2010-02-15at045224PM.png

Old blue: Screenshot2010-02-15at045255PM.pngNew blue: Screenshot2010-02-15at045240PM.png

Can you see it now?

And IWORSHIPBENDER, the lines are supposed to be thinner on the new ones, so that's not a problem. Thank you for noticing though.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Old black: Screenshot2010-02-15at045211PM.pngNew black: Screenshot2010-02-15at045224PM.png

Old blue: Screenshot2010-02-15at045255PM.pngNew blue: Screenshot2010-02-15at045240PM.png

Can you see it now?

And IWORSHIPBENDER, the lines are supposed to be thinner on the new ones, so that's not a problem. Thank you for noticing though.

I've had this problem a lot with graphics in general. For me, the problem is always going from a .jpg or .png to a .gif. If you're experiencing the same problem without using a .gif image at all, I'd love to hear more about it, because I'd like to isolate this problem.

I would definitely recommend you save in PNG as opposed to GIF, as PNG is pretty much superior to GIF in nearly every way. The only thing GIF can do that PNG can't is animation, as far as I know. And every major browser from IE7 on can support PNG, too.

I'm pretty sure GIFs have far greater colour limitations (web safe colours) and are also not ideal for showing large blocks of continuous colour. I'd go with PNG.

Right, it has to do with color capacity. A GIF file can only hold (I think) 256 colors, compared to the likely 16 or 32 million your monitor can display. If you use a certain color, then convert the file to GIF, the program will try to make it the closest match by taking two colors, one slightly darker and lighter than the desired color, and alternating them. That way, if you don't zoom in or look real close, they appear to blend toghether into the previously used color.

I know PNG files allow for more colors, though I am not sure how many. One way to avoid this problem is to start with a blank image, save that as the desired file type, then draw your image. It might limit the available colors, but at least you know what the final product will look like without having to guess how it will be treated with a conversion.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Archived