Jets May Play on Thanksgiving

Brian E

I'm just saying don't look for PC where it doesn't exist.

Nobody considered changing the Jets' name then, we wouldn't blink twice at that logo were it introduced now.

My comment was intended more for Buster, though, since he was the one who actually raised the whole silly idea.

This.

There's nothing worse then being overly PC...except for trying to create a reason to act as such. The passenger jet logo is fine, it just needs tweaking. :)

Well 9/11 PC aside, I still don't like it. A passenger jet, but jet standards, is slow and cumbersome. Not aspects you want associated with your football team. So if the team was going to use a jet plane as part of their identity a fighter jet would make much more sense. They're faster, sleeker, more manoeuvrable, and more marketable. What's going to sell faster? A cap with a passenger jet or a fighter jet?

Of course the Jets don't need to incorporated any jet into their identity. At all. The current alternate, the green football with the bold NY, is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think the jet logo (the one with the actual plane in it) is the best solution. I think with some tweaking it could be. I love the 'NY' oval logo font, but also wish it were tweaked a bit. You're right, they "don't have to incorporate a jet plane as part of their identity" but if they did and it looked good and so far that hasn't quite happened...I think it would be a good choice.

In regards to your allusion to a fighter jets...I think its a matter of opinion and taste. I don't think a "fighter jet" has anymore value to the identity or the marketability of the team then a passenger jet. I personally like the historical nod that a passenger jet gives to the origins of the team name. What I believe is the most marketable element of the team name is not the JETS part but the NEW YORK part. Basically, if you are the NEW YORK *insert team name* you already have an edge. Which brings us back to your suggestion to utilize the oval 'NY' logo. I would love to see them use that same logo, utilize the stylized Jet streak from the 80's JETS logo, and merge them so that the jet comes off of the 'Y' and out to the edge of the oval. If I have time I'd do a two second mock up. I think it would be a think of beauty. It would also be a nice modernization of two old and very recognizable Jets logos.

Sorry if I interpreted what you were saying wrong. That's the interent for ya *shrug*

Yeah, they have a year's worth of history with the passenger jet logo, I just don't think the concept of a passenger jet makes for a very good logo.

Anyway your idea about the 80's jet streak merged with the NY oval sounds nice. It could work, but I'm just worried about adding more clutter. That's the current logo's major drawback. To much clutter.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just saying don't look for PC where it doesn't exist.

Nobody considered changing the Jets' name then, we wouldn't blink twice at that logo were it introduced now.

My comment was intended more for Buster, though, since he was the one who actually raised the whole silly idea.

This.

There's nothing worse then being overly PC...except for trying to create a reason to act as such. The passenger jet logo is fine, it just needs tweaking. :)

Well 9/11 PC aside, I still don't like it. A passenger jet, but jet standards, is slow and cumbersome. Not aspects you want associated with your football team. So if the team was going to use a jet plane as part of their identity a fighter jet would make much more sense. They're faster, sleeker, more manoeuvrable, and more marketable. What's going to sell faster? A cap with a passenger jet or a fighter jet?

Of course the Jets don't need to incorporated any jet into their identity. At all. The current alternate, the green football with the bold NY, is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think the jet logo (the one with the actual plane in it) is the best solution. I think with some tweaking it could be. I love the 'NY' oval logo font, but also wish it were tweaked a bit. You're right, they "don't have to incorporate a jet plane as part of their identity" but if they did and it looked good and so far that hasn't quite happened...I think it would be a good choice.

In regards to your allusion to a fighter jets...I think its a matter of opinion and taste. I don't think a "fighter jet" has anymore value to the identity or the marketability of the team then a passenger jet. I personally like the historical nod that a passenger jet gives to the origins of the team name. What I believe is the most marketable element of the team name is not the JETS part but the NEW YORK part. Basically, if you are the NEW YORK *insert team name* you already have an edge. Which brings us back to your suggestion to utilize the oval 'NY' logo. I would love to see them use that same logo, utilize the stylized Jet streak from the 80's JETS logo, and merge them so that the jet comes off of the 'Y' and out to the edge of the oval. If I have time I'd do a two second mock up. I think it would be a think of beauty. It would also be a nice modernization of two old and very recognizable Jets logos.

Sorry if I interpreted what you were saying wrong. That's the interent for ya *shrug*

Yeah, they have a year's worth of history with the passenger jet logo, I just don't think the concept of a passenger jet makes for a very good logo.

Anyway your idea about the 80's jet streak merged with the NY oval sounds nice. It could work, but I'm just worried about adding more clutter. That's the current logo's major drawback. To much clutter.

no worries.

I agree, the current Jet logo is a total mess. Especially with the typography. All over the place. For some reason I think the NY logo is great but a bit too minimalist for me. Though it works for the Giants, so maybe it could fly for the Jets. (no pun intended)

I can go either way on the admittedly flawed primary logo or the NY oval. That one would look cool, but it's not a pressing issue to mess with the status quo. I don't understand the need for the primary logo as a patch. It's not like the Steelers where they want the logo on both sides.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why?

The Jets should be the favorites to win the AFC East,

and they got to the AFC Championship game.

The Pats are on the downside.

Maybe getting Peppers from Carolina would help.

The Titans unis need to disappear with the green pants.

The NY in an oval isn't a bad suggestion.

An all oout jet drawing of any kind is not appealing to my eye.

sig-1.png

I'd love to see a repeat of the Pat Patriot throwbacks vs. the Lions 30s throwbacks. 2 of my favorite looks ever, and total assuredness that I would jizz my pants.

I think Megan Fox getting it on with Beyonce and Erin Gray (circa 1981) right in front of me while I'm eating a perfectly cooked medium-rare porterhouse and having a Hop Devil might be the only event that could elicit that kind of response from me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd love to see a repeat of the Pat Patriot throwbacks vs. the Lions 30s throwbacks. 2 of my favorite looks ever, and total assuredness that I would jizz my pants.

I think Megan Fox getting it on with Beyonce and Erin Gray (circa 1981) right in front of me while I'm eating a perfectly cooked medium-rare porterhouse and having a Hop Devil might be the only event that could elicit that kind of response from me.

I shouldn't laugh, but I did.

beedeebeedeebeedee

"ow - quit with the teeth, Theo!"

beedeebeedeebeedee

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived