Topeka Hockey Ten Season Patch Rough Draft (updated)

topcityhockey

Hello everyone, I just wanted to post this and see what everyone thought. I know that it is seriously rough but I didn't want to spend too much time on it if the concept just seemed ridiculous. The City of Topeka will be celebrating its' tenth season of having hockey in 2010-2011 so I did this mock-up of what I thought a patch might look like. BTW, the pucks are colored differently to represent each team that we have had. Please C&C tenseasonroughdraft.jpg

I especially like the subtle placement, in black, of 'TEN' and 'SEASONS' over the stick blades. A weaker man might have yielded to the temptation of placing that text somewhere in the sea of white space where it would be noticeably legible.

I'd scrap this concept. If I were you, I'd spend some time with pencil and paper and brainstorm. Sketch a bunch of ideas and then see where it leads you. Also, what is your reasoning for making your text so small and placed in areas where it is hard to read? Research anniversary logos and see how each artist approach it. After you have some sketches, scan them and get advice/critiques/criticism. Just my two cents.

• 2 months later...

well i thought that i would throw this on here and see what everybody thought-10thpatchcircle.jpg This was done in gimp, I was going to sketch it out but I don't have a scanner right now so I thought I would see what I could do in Gimp. The final version would obviously have much cleaner lines. I am also not sure about the placement of the word 'seasons', I may move it underneath (if I do that I will use a custom font which would be a modified version of the Topeka Scarecrows font. Btw- the colored circles are supposed to be hockey pucks but I haven't quite figured out how to make them look like pucks. Sorry for the roughness still trying to get used to GIMP

• 1 month later...

ok, i have changed it a little-Topeka Hockey ten seasons Sorry, I can't get it to post as an image. I made the number 1 look more like the number that was on the back of the Topeka Scarecrows jerseys. Still having trouble figuring out how to make the circles look like pucks, and I am going to add some wording underneath still. Please C&C, thanks

• 4 weeks later...

now, I am a bit confused. What exactly is this celebrating, a team or league in topeka? It just seems highly unlikely that a city wouldn't have had anything to do with Hockey until 10 years ago

e5jlhh.jpg

It is the 10th season of actual hockey in Topeka. We got our first team in 1998 and are currently on our 4th team but there were several seasons without teams. The pucks represent the various teams: 3 red for CHL Scarecrows, 2 silver for USHL Scarecrows, 1 orange for the CHL Tarantulas and 4 blue for the NAHL RoadRunners. That is why I put seasons instead of anniversary.

Archived