Prototype Uniforms

Bmac

I recently started a mini series all about prototype uniforms at my blog, and wanted to invite you all to take a look every now and then. I hope to share all of my many pictures soon. If you have any pics or information you want to send my way, feel free.

Link

It's nice that you started off with the classic prototypes. If there's anymore we don't know about, it would be a fun read.

That looks like a page from MLBStyleGuides.com. Did you get Bill Henderson's permission to repost?

Sure does. And if you haven't gotten his consent, you should. He might be willing to let you post some stuff if you link back to his site (and thereby promote his style guide).

But I'm extremely skeptical about that Padres "1999 prototype", for a couple of reasons. The Padres had just introduced their new uniform in 1998, making a complete overhaul in 1999 very unlikely. And are we really to believe that they just sat on that wordmark and color scheme for five years before adopting it? Maybe it is a prototype, but it sure as heck isn't from 1999.

I love Henderson's work, but it has one major flaw - he takes the claims of others, and items themselves, at face value. "This prototype jersey is said by its owner to be from 1999." Well, than. That settles it.

That looks like a page from MLBStyleGuides.com. Did you get Bill Henderson's permission to repost?

Sure does. And if you haven't gotten his consent, you should. He might be willing to let you post some stuff if you link back to his site (and thereby promote his style guide).

But I'm extremely skeptical about that Padres "1999 prototype", for a couple of reasons. The Padres had just introduced their new uniform in 1998, making a complete overhaul in 1999 very unlikely. And are we really to believe that they just sat on that wordmark and color scheme for five years before adopting it? Maybe it is a prototype, but it sure as heck isn't from 1999.

I love Henderson's work, but it has one major flaw - he takes the claims of others, and items themselves, at face value. "This prototype jersey is said by its owner to be from 1999." Well, than. That settles it.

FWIW, look at the jock tag on that prototype jersey. It has the MLB "Diamond Collection" logo on it. In 2000, MLB made the switch over to the "Authentic" branding and tagging for on-field apparel. So, either that jersey is in fact from a year before 2000, or it's a well-researched and well-crafted fake.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Oh, I don't doubt that the jersey is tagged "1999." But that doesn't necessarily mean that the prototype was designed in 1999, only that the jersey used to make the prototype was from 1999.

This a recurring problem with Henderson's guide - he places too much value on the tags, when many teams re-used jerseys over the span of several seasons (even removing/adding piping, patches and other details). So you can have a Brewers jersey with 1971's blue/gold/blue piping at the neck and cuffs dated "1969" - doesn't mean the Pilots ever wore that trim. Tags can lie.

Which seems more likely in this particular case - that when the Padres wanted an overhaul they selected a four-year-old unused design, or that the prototype was made out of an old jersey?

Which seems more likely in this particular case - that when the Padres wanted an overhaul they selected a four-year-old unused design, or that the prototype was made out of an old jersey?

That depends - what year did Majestic lock down the exclusive rights for MLB uniforms?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That depends - what year did Majestic lock down the exclusive rights for MLB uniforms?

Majestic wouldn't necessarily be involved in the prototyping process - it could be something the designer has made up for the "finalist" designs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's my thought as well.

The Padres uniforms were designed by an unnamed "Southern California design firm" (how times have changed!) under the supervision of MLB's Design Services. You wouldn't expect their presentation pieces to necessarily be the same supplier as the team's then-current uniforms, any more than you'd expect them to create the entire uniform from scratch.

Rather than contract with Majestic for a blank, it's more likely they just picked up whatever authentic navy jersey they could find and added their design elements for the pitch to ownership.

• 3 weeks later...

Uh...wow! Never heard of that site, but amazing stuff. Will probably have to get it. Any other cool sites like this people in the know can recommend? How about something about baseball hats? That would be killer.

We just finished a thread about the NFL prototype uniforms for the possible expansion teams of 1995. I have a Baltimore Bombers set that was acquired from the NFL.

Where could I find this thread?

We just finished a thread about the NFL prototype uniforms for the possible expansion teams of 1995. I have a Baltimore Bombers set that was acquired from the NFL.

Where could I find this thread?

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=71776

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived