Giraffe Logo on 1961 Lakers cards

neo_prankster

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Commence giraffe-related throwback merchandise immediately!

Futura always looks cool, but seeing it in stuff from the 1950s/1960s somehow makes it look even cooler. I can't explain.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Based on what I've seen here's an initial attempt at recreating the logo. I expect to see several concepts in the next couple of weeks including the girafe into the Lakers' logos.

lakersgirafe.png

And here's 2 Lakers logos I had from before, I remember seeing them somewhere and recreating them aswell:

unknownclassic.pngunknownclassic_2.png

Once you eliminate the "we must have aggressive, nasty logo or somebody will question our collective manhood" silliness, a giraffe makes some sense for a basketball team.

Disney would have had a perfect compliment to their NHL team if they'd acquired an NBA franchise, designed a giraffe-based logo for the squad and dubbed it "The Mighty Dunks of Anaheim".

No... seriously.

:P

lakersgiraffe.jpg

Wait... back then a LARGE was 32-34? Did they have different methods for measuring back then or have we Americans really become a nation of fat bastards since then?

And here's 2 Lakers logos I had from before, I remember seeing them somewhere and recreating them aswell:

I'm getting a real Union 76 vibe from that second one... Were they sponsors?

Based on what I've seen here's an initial attempt at recreating the logo. I expect to see several concepts in the next couple of weeks including the girafe into the Lakers' logos.

lakersgirafe.png

Totally awesome. How about somebody extrapolating a modern concept version of what the Lakers' logo would look like today if they'd stuck with this image?

lakersgiraffe.jpg

Wait... back then a LARGE was 32-34? Did they have different methods for measuring back then or have we Americans really become a nation of fat bastards since then?

Note that it says BOYS sizes. Reading comprehension...

lakersgiraffe.jpg

If your self-esteem is so low that you have to condescend to strangers online over what was an obvious oversight, then I really feel bad for ya fam... :rolleyes:

Frankly, other than horses/colts/stallions/broncos, I can't think of too many teams that use herbivores as mascots.

Don't forget the Bucks, a herbivore also chosen for its basketball-like attributes (in this case, jumping ability). That was only a couple years after the Laker giraffe logo. That one has always amazed me, given hunting's popularity in Wisconsin.

Yep, So, in the pro ranks (in the four major North American sports), we have the Bucks, Horses (of all types), Ducks, Bulls, and Rams. Am I missing any others?

EDIT: oops. Ducks are omnivores (they eat fish, right?)

If your self-esteem is so low that you have to condescend to strangers online over what was an obvious oversight, then I really feel bad for ya fam... rolleyes.gif

in all fairness you just called everybody fat

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What the hell?!

lakersgiraffe.jpg

EDIT: Did a quick Google search, and this forum post came up. http://apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6659 Judging from this thread, the Lakers logo was a freakin' GIRAFFE when they first arrived in L.A.!

I would like to see more photographic evidence of the Lakers' giraffe symbol.

I'd like to know why they scrapped such a great mascot.

87Redskins.png

What the hell?!

lakersgiraffe.jpg

EDIT: Did a quick Google search, and this forum post came up. http://apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6659 Judging from this thread, the Lakers logo was a freakin' GIRAFFE when they first arrived in L.A.!

Probably because they kept coming up short in the Finals and decided it was a bad luck charm.

What the hell?!

lakersgiraffe.jpg

Probably because they kept coming up short in the Finals and decided it was a bad luck charm.

That would have been the perfect time to get rid of the whole Lakers name since it didn't make sense for L.A.

87Redskins.png

Archived