New name for Charlotte?

Conrad.

If they do keep some form of "cats", I hope they change the spelling to "catz", because that's more modern and would sell to kidz.

Which would get parentz to spend more money. Absolutely Brilliant.

why hasn't anyone else thought of that?!

Utah did in the mid-90's ... trust me ... doesn't catch on. Jazz, Buzz, Starzz, Grizzlies, Catzz, Pioneerzz, Freezze, Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beyond that, AIR is not his name. I wouldn't be in favor of the Jordans or the MichaelCats, etc. But AIR is perfectly fine for a team name in my opinion.

But a bobcat is an actual animal. While not a great name for an NBA franchise, it is not stupid, like "Air".

I'm surprised so many on the board are so uncreative and closed-minded regarding "Air". Maybe there aren't as many designers as I had originally thought. Anyway, I'll spell it out for you...

Air would refer to flight (Wright Brothers). If you think about it even a little you will realize all the Air names already in existence that are a direct result of the Wright Brothers:

Air France, Air Canada, Air Berlin, Air China, Egypt Air, etc.

You don't have to like it but to refer to the idea as stupid is simply not thinking.

The fact that Kitty Hawk and Charlotte are not in close proximity is irrelevant. The "First in Flight" slogan is displayed all over the state, most notably on the NC license plates along with a Wright Brothersesque airplane.

W/ regards to Air, I am not opposed to the name, but I do feel that it is better suited for the WNBA / D-League.

My choice would have to be Fliers. Yes, the name exists in the NHL (w/ different spelling), but it brings added meaning to the Charlotte franchise and could be branded w/ a retro feel. (P.F. Fliers comes to mind)

Another name that I like is Charlotte Pilots. Not that phonetically pleasing but would go w/ the aeronautics theme.

I do however like their new jerseys this year, and do not see new colors or changes in the jersey template in the near future.

Gut feeling though is that Bobcats are here to stay. They recently acquired the rights to the Bobcats.com domain in the last year or two and I do not foresee the org. going through similar domain difficulties w/ a new name.....

Pilots! Hey. There we go, if you absolutely have to do a Wright Brothers thing (which you don't at all, and Kitty Hawk being as close to Charlotte as New York A-T-C-F is indeed relevant; it'd be like naming a Pensacola team the Cuban Druglords). The phonetics are a little clunky but I do like the nickname in and of itself. At least it's not Air.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Pilots! Hey. There we go, if you absolutely have to do a Wright Brothers thing (which you don't at all, and Kitty Hawk being as close to Charlotte as New York A-T-C-F is indeed relevant; it'd be like naming a Pensacola team the Cuban Druglords). The phonetics are a little clunky but I do like the nickname in and of itself. At least it's not Air.

You had to go there, didn't you?? :D

As far as this whole Wright Brothers angle that (Kitty)hawk36 brought up, it ain't working for me...especially considering Orville and Wilbur hail from Ohio and developed a lot of their technology in and around Dayton. I think the 'Cats should just stick with what they have and worry about building a good team, irregardless of the nickname across their chests. Besides, in and of itself, it isn't a bad identity, origin of nickname notwithstanding. But it is what it is now...I say they leave it be. (And incorporate more orange.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I actually think Charlotte Air would be a nice name. Ties into flight and MJ. Although, you would have the inevitable Air-ball mock.

Guys, guys... It's not the Charlotte Air: It's Air Charlotte. And here's their mascot:

rexst.jpg

They could just keep naming the team after the owner - it would be a cool quirky thing, and make it easy to identify the era that an event occurred if it's 100 years from now and a kid is looking back at history. For example, if a kid is looking at the all-time point scoring leaders in league history, and some Bobcat is somehow on that list in 50 - 100 years, it would read "Johnny Player - F Charlotte JordanCats", and the kid would know that the player must have played during the 10-year period that Jordan owned the team. Or they could get more specific, and name them after the coaches. So they'd be the LarryCats now. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. Everytime there's a change in ownership or coach, there would be a big ceremony where the new name / logo would be unveiled, ushering in a new era of [insert name here]Cats basketball.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They could just keep naming the team after the owner - it would be a cool quirky thing, and make it easy to identify the era that an event occurred if it's 100 years from now and a kid is looking back at history. For example, if a kid is looking at the all-time point scoring leaders in league history, and some Bobcat is somehow on that list in 50 - 100 years, it would read "Johnny Player - F Charlotte JordanCats", and the kid would know that the player must have played during the 10-year period that Jordan owned the team. Or they could get more specific, and name them after the coaches. So they'd be the LarryCats now. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. Everytime there's a change in ownership or coach, there would be a big ceremony where the new name / logo would be unveiled, ushering in a new era of [insert name here]Cats basketball.

You know, something like this would probably never happen, and the cons are obvious, but I really like this idea. It's similar in style to the way the Houston Dynamo change their logo after every championship they win (adding another star).

I still want the Carolina Cougars to come back.

And yes, I do know about the naming-rights issue with the former Spirits of St. Louis owners.

So would the dancers all be about 45 years old? :blink:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The fact that Kitty Hawk and Charlotte are not in close proximity is irrelevant. The "First in Flight" slogan is displayed all over the state, most notably on the NC license plates along with a Wright Brothersesque airplane.

W/ regards to Air, I am not opposed to the name, but I do feel that it is better suited for the WNBA / D-League.

My choice would have to be Fliers. Yes, the name exists in the NHL (w/ different spelling), but it brings added meaning to the Charlotte franchise and could be branded w/ a retro feel. (P.F. Fliers comes to mind)

Another name that I like is Charlotte Pilots. Not that phonetically pleasing but would go w/ the aeronautics theme.

I do however like their new jerseys this year, and do not see new colors or changes in the jersey template in the near future.

Gut feeling though is that Bobcats are here to stay. They recently acquired the rights to the Bobcats.com domain in the last year or two and I do not foresee the org. going through similar domain difficulties w/ a new name.....

They absolutely could use Flyers. How many teams have similar names to another team...ESPECIALLY IN NORTH CAROLINA where each team seems to have pulled their name from another team (usually in Florida)?

"Carolina Flyers", Philadelphia Flyers, Dayton Flyers

Miami Hurricanes, Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers, Carolina Panthers

Los Angeles Kings, Sacramento Kings

Houston Oilers, Edmonton Oilers

New York Giants, San Francisco Giants

I mean I could probably go on and on if I wanted to, but you get the point.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

They absolutely could use Flyers. How many teams have similar names to another team...ESPECIALLY IN NORTH CAROLINA where each team seems to have pulled their name from another team (usually in Florida)?

The point is that it's only been the past 15 years or so that marketing and merchandising has been as big of a deal as it is now in pro sports. How many pro teams in the past 15 years have used an existing pro nickname as their own? While it certainly could happen, I'd think that the odds are extremely loaded against it in today's day and age.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The point is that it's only been the past 15 years or so that marketing and merchandising has been as big of a deal as it is now in pro sports. How many pro teams in the past 15 years have used an existing pro nickname as their own? While it certainly could happen, I'd think that the odds are extremely loaded against it in today's day and age.

Most Recent Example would have to be the one cited by the previous poster:

Caorlina Panthers - 1995

Florida Panthers - 1993

However, Carolina Panthers did strike first w/ regards to the panthers.com domain name.

That is why I suggested the Alt. spelling for Flyers. Fliers gives Charlotte their own identity and draws separation from the Philadelphia Franchise......

Also I am not opposed to using the "Carolina" moniker, and would rather Carolina be used for Charlotte franchises because the city is on the border of both SC and NC. Bob Johnson was opposed to incorporating Carolina at all, and if the Franchise wants to distance itself from the Johnson Era, Carolina is the way to go.

Note:I am 100% against the Hurricanes using the Carolina moniker, and think that the Charlotte area solely should be used w/ regards to Carolina due to the close proximity to both states.

I also think Charlotte should be "Carolina" since they are supposedly representing the Carolinas region, which would imply the two states, not the one city. It's like how the Warriors identify themselves as being based in San Fransisco when they're really in Oakland, so they went with "Golden State." (Except absolutely no one in CA really think of them as "California's basketball team.")

Bushwa. Every team "represents a region" in some way, but I don't see any Non-Great Lakes Midwest & Mid-South Cardinals tearing up the National League.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well to be fair, the name Cavaliers does fit the history of the area. The Cavaliers were the soldiers and supporters of King Charles I during the English Civil War. When they were defeated by Parliament and its supporters, the Roundheads, many Cavaliers fled to the American colonies, whose loyalties were divided at the time. A good portion of them settled in what is now the State of Ohio.

The English Civil War ended in 1651. European settlement of the Ohio Territory, aside from a few French trappers, didn't occur until the mid-to-late 18th Century, about 100 years later.

Well to be fair, the name Cavaliers does fit the history of the area. The Cavaliers were the soldiers and supporters of King Charles I during the English Civil War. When they were defeated by Parliament and its supporters, the Roundheads, many Cavaliers fled to the American colonies, whose loyalties were divided at the time. A good portion of them settled in what is now the State of Ohio.

The English Civil War ended in 1651. European settlement of the Ohio Territory, aside from a few French trappers, didn't occur until the mid-to-late 18th Century, about 100 years later.

That was when the area was officially claimed by the English, following British victory in the Seven Years War (French and Indian War for Americans) in 1763. Still, the are was a site of (admittedly limited) settlement on the part of those fleeing England following the collapse of the Royalist cause in 1648. Remember, the colonies that would later make up the US were, for the most part, established. Virginia in particular was sympathetic to the Royalists (known as "cavaliers"), and the area that we now know as Ohio was claimed by Virgina at the time.

That was when the area was officially claimed by the English, following British victory in the Seven Years War (French and Indian War for Americans) in 1763. Still, the are was a site of (admittedly limited) settlement on the part of those fleeing England following the collapse of the Royalist cause in 1648. Remember, the colonies that would later make up the US were, for the most part, established. Virginia in particular was sympathetic to the Royalists (known as "cavaliers"), and the area that we now know as Ohio was claimed by Virgina at the time.

Sorry, Cavaliers is a stretch. The Ohio region wasn't English territory until after the French and Indian War in 1763. Subsequently, the British government prohibited settlement west of the Appalachians. Anyone fleeing the collapse of the Royalist cause in 1648 would more than likely have been dead by the time the Ohio valley was under British control.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

Archived