New name for Charlotte?

Conrad.

A bigger problem is that it is a suggestion of something that has never happened in sports (as far as I know) and likely never will. Wholesale nickname trades? Not going to happen, especially involving teams with long histories and established brands -- even in a second or third market for the franchise.

The concept doesn't bother me as much as some here -- there are plenty of dead horses around -- but this is anything but a "no-brainer." These are businesses. There is no benefit in taking someone else's brand while giving them the one you established.

And speaking of things that aren't going to happen... we're back on topic. The Bobcats are staying the Bobcats.

After witnessing too many years of really bad decisions by professional sports leagues all over the world, I'd say nothing is off the board as far as what could or should happen. All it would take is two crazy owners that want to trade and that are in the pocket of the commish and it's a done deal. People in Utah could complain all they want and no one in the NBA would care.

Translation: Screw the Utah fans who have been loyal to the Jazz brand for decades, this is about making me feel better!

And, back on topic... too bad on the Bobcats if they are keeping the name. So many other great names to give a downtrodden franchise a fresh start. But, again, we're talking about the NBA. Not the smartest group

What great names? Air? Airmen? Flight? Chivalry? Dragons? All of these are worse then Bobcats, and to be perfectly honest I'm of the opinion that Bobcats is acceptable. Ok, maybe to some people it sounds generic. It's still better then Air.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And, back on topic... too bad on the Bobcats if they are keeping the name. So many other great names to give a downtrodden franchise a fresh start. But, again, we're talking about the NBA. Not the smartest group

What great names? Air? Airmen? Flight? Chivalry? Dragons? All of these are worse then Bobcats, and to be perfectly honest I'm of the opinion that Bobcats is acceptable. Ok, maybe to some people it sounds generic. It's still better then Air.

I honestly have to disagree with you...these names may not be stellar, but they are all better than Bobcats IMHO. Well, I think you're right about 'AIR' that one blows. :)

Does it ever :D

I donno. I just don't get the lame/generic feeling from Bobcats that some others do. It seems fine to me, and gets extra points for the cool origin (stuff like the original owner naming the team after himself makes for great trivia down the road) and the fact that it's location appropriate.

I donno. I just don't get the lame/generic feeling from Bobcats that some others do. It seems fine to me, and gets extra points for the cool origin (stuff like the original owner naming the team after himself makes for great trivia down the road) and the fact that it's location appropriate.

hahaha!

I just got that. Pun was definitely not intended...but still funny. I was referring to the OTHER type of BLOW.

There are a lot of flaws with that logo. Honestly, while I don't think it's great, I prefer the Gameplan logo to that one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't think any of their logos are very good, though I stand by the idea of an orange-clad team called the Bobcats.

I want to provide entertainment to the public, and to the city of Chicago. ... ... I mean, the city of Charlotte. And the city of Chicago. I want to provide entertainment to everybody.?

Already I know this is gonna be so much fun. He's so gonna hire Charles Oakley to be his Vice-President of Hanging Out.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm thinking there is a STRONG chance this name change will happen. 1st Jordan said he would absolutely consider it if he got the feeling from the public that they want a change. Then BOB Johnson went on to trash Charlotte AGAIN, and now people in Charlotte hate him more than ever. I have no problem supporting the Bobcats, but there is a growing number of people who can't stand the team being named after BJ. I say there will be a pretty big outcry to Jordan to get this guys name out of the team now. It does kind of suck to be partly named after someone who trashes the city and local businesses multiple times.

What's with Charlotte and getting buttsore over NBA owners? We have to put up with a crook like Reinsdorf, and they get pissed because he says Charlotte sucks after losing about $100 million on a bad investment? Come on. If I took a bath like he did, I'd trash your city too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What's with Charlotte and getting buttsore over NBA owners? We have to put up with a crook like Reinsdorf, and they get pissed because he says Charlotte sucks after losing about $100 million on a bad investment? Come on. If I took a bath like he did, I'd trash your city too.

You quite obviously don't know much about the situation. Johnson was a failed owner from day 1. Blame CAN be placed on the city, but the bulk of the responsibility lies on Bob and he refuses to accept any of it.

Here's the problem, though: Charlotte was an NBA expansion success story.

They led the league in attendance for years, but stopped supporting the Hornets after the first owner had some off-court incidents. To the point that an accepted truth was that Shinn had to go before the fans would come back. Between that and a new arena, the Hornets left for New Orleans and Charlotte soon gets a new owner.

But now the city has a problem with him and wants the name changed. Funny that the NBA puts the greatest player of his era, Michael Jordan, in as owner. If they won't accept him -- a Carolina product -- they probably won't accept anyone and the NBA will have to go.

I'm sorry, but I think the city's demands are misguided at best. How about "win and we won't care who owns the team and what it is called." Perhaps Stern gave them too much of a sweetheart deal the first time around.

I don't mean to be harsh, but even the Bulls owner isn't without serious fault and he brought six titles (and then not even an All-Star for 12 years). As someone said earlier, such is life in pro sports. The Charlotte NBA team is going to the playoffs and the Bob in Bobcats is gone. Who cares what they are called?

I agree. The idea of Bobcats being "generic" or "high School" never occurred to me. There are high schools called Vikings, Bengals, Blue Jays, Rams, Pirates, etc., etc. Must be a chicken and egg thing. We knew those pro teams first and view the high schools as copying them.

However, I'd guess the predominant thinking is with the majority on this thread. To me, it leaves teams trying too hard to be unique and giving us Wild, Heat, Lightning, and Magic. Nothing wrong with picking an animal. Kudos to Diamondbacks and Ravens for being unique and not stupid, but I'll take Bobcats over Flight any day.

Since there was no online sports logos message board back then, does anyone know whether there were complaints about the Panthers and Jaguars being too "High School"? Panthers definitely is used at some high schools. I'm thinking people got over that with time and some success (which the Bobcats have yet to experience) and it should happen here too.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

"Because it's the Beehive State and hornets are like bees" in what was once a respected newspaper. Unthinkable.

Denigrating the reputation of the newspaper is hardly relevant in this situation. The graphic was obviously done tongue-in-cheek. Why else would they suggest the Nets be renamed the "Bricks" and the Raptors the "Snowplows"?

I don't understand the silver spikes on the right side of the Bobcats face. They seem superfluous.

They're the continuation of the seams in the basketball background. It might've been done to make the basketball look like it was moving. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but at least the spikes aren't completely random.

Archived