New name for Charlotte?

Conrad.

I donno I think making a rebranding in the early years of a franchise makes much more sense, that say when the Bullets became the Wizards. The Houston .45's changed after the move to the Astrodome, the Titans of NY changed to the Jets when they moved to Shea. Granted there is not a big track record of teams that changed their name. But I don't think it is that bad of an idea. To me Bobcats sounded like a middle school mascot.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should also add that anything that allows you to put a metaphorical cap in Rufus' ass is a good thing and should be supported by all.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A Jordan-owned team wearing adidas? :unsure:

That will be interesting.

They may have an Adidas logo on them, but I guarantee you they'll be Nike uniforms. When Jordan made his comeback with the Wizards, he had all custom made Nike gear with the Wizards logos and colors. Considering the controversy Jordan had during the '92 Olympics and his son had last year at UCF, I can't see him letting his team wear Adidas gear if there is a way he can get around it. Perhaps he could pay a fine and keep the Adidas logos off of their uniforms, like the Yankees do with Majestic.

I can't see that happening since NBA jerseys are exclusively manufactured by Adidas

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

They've never been able to get the logos and uniforms just right, but Bobcats seems like a good name for a team in the Carolinas, where there are ostensibly more bobcats and mountain lions and such running about than in, say, Omaha or Kansas City or Baltimore or whatever. I just can't figure out what they're trying to do. Futuristic cat-bots with pinstripes like the Charlotte Hornets and sometimes NASCAR checkered flags? They're a real mess. I liked the bold decision to make orange their primary color, but then they bungled it and ultimately backed off. Ah well.

As for the name being too highschooly, I'll concede that it's a little amateur, but nowhere close to the ultimate high school name in "Wildcats," which nobody has a problem with Kentucky using.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lakers doesn't work in LA, but they will never be renamed. Jazz doesn't work in Salt Lake City, but they will never be renamed.

That's completely irrelevant. No one is saying the name doesn't work. The problem is 'Bobcats' is a terrible name. It just sounds amateurish, almost diminutive.

You can talk about brand consistency but the reason those teams won't change is that they have an established history. The Bobcats really don't, and are one of the more irrelevant teams of the league. I think it can only help to change the identity. Not to "Flight" or "Dragons", though, because those names suck too.

They've never been able to get the logos and uniforms just right, but Bobcats seems like a good name for a team in the Carolinas, where there are ostensibly more bobcats and mountain lions and such running about than in, say, Omaha or Kansas City or Baltimore or whatever. I just can't figure out what they're trying to do. Futuristic cat-bots with pinstripes like the Charlotte Hornets and sometimes NASCAR checkered flags? They're a real mess. I liked the bold decision to make orange their primary color, but then they bungled it and ultimately backed off. Ah well.

As for the name being too highschooly, I'll concede that it's a little amateur, but nowhere close to the ultimate high school name in "Wildcats," which nobody has a problem with Kentucky using.

This might just be me, but for some reason Carolina Bobcats sounds much better than Charlotte Bobcats.

I should also add that anything that allows you to put a metaphorical cap in Rufus' ass is a good thing and should be supported by all.

Their mascot's name is Rufus too? What the hell? I thought it was bad that we at Ohio University voted our bobcat mascot to be named Rufus, but apparently we plagiarized the Charlotte Bobcats. God, that's embarrassing.

With a nickname like "Bobcats" you have a lot options for the mascot name. You've got Robert, Robby, Rob, Bob, Bobby. Sometimes the best answer is the most obvious.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Their mascot's name is Rufus too? What the hell? I thought it was bad that we at Ohio University voted our bobcat mascot to be named Rufus, but apparently we plagiarized the Charlotte Bobcats. God, that's embarrassing.

With a nickname like "Bobcats" you have a lot options for the mascot name. You've got Robert, Robby, Rob, Bob, Bobby. Sometimes the best answer is the most obvious.

I like Robert Katz.

In fairness, the scientific name of a Bobcat is lynx rufus. So it's actually kind of clever for an institution of higher learning to use it. I'm assuming this is more a "Blind, Possibly Racist, Squirrel Finds Nut" situation with the Billcats.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This might just be me, but for some reason Carolina Bobcats sounds much better than Charlotte Bobcats.

Nice rhythm. 1E&A2&. Euphony notwithstanding, broad regional names are retarded.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's this simple.

Utah Bobcats.

New Orleans Jazz.

Charlotte Hornets.

Three-team swap!

facepalm.jpg

Today, we are all otaku.

We need a Stop Reel A Line Mint spinoff for this

I was thinking of it more as this board's own special little "Godwin" variant.

Today, we are all otaku.

It's this simple.

Utah Bobcats.

New Orleans Jazz.

Charlotte Hornets.

Three-team swap!

facepalm.jpg

We need a Stop Reel A Line Mint spinoff for this

Is there any need to facepalm unpopular opinions?

As for a name change, I would suggest this:

toon2.jpg

^^Genius^^

Archived