Witches of Elsternwick - Womens baseball team

DeadFish

While debating the possible move of a team in our local Women's baseball league some friends and I were tossing about name options when someone suggested the Witches of Elsternwick, which we all liked. There is probably little possibility that this team will ever actually exist, but I thought it was a great starting point for a concept.

Here are some logos and wordmarks to start off. C+C please.

witchesofE.gif

I really like the idea. It's a nice play on the movie title. I know a few women who would fit in on that team. Anyway, the design looks more like an illustration than a logo. The wordmark is okay but it seems to be lacking a little personality. The witch could be rendered much more dynamic than she currently is. You could try her looking over a cauldron (with baseball seams) or at bat with a broomstick. Or she could be riding a baseball bat instead of a broomstick. There are a lot of possibilities with this idea - explore and don't be afraid to get a little "out there" with it. Personally, I think if you used a lighter green and worked some orange into the design it would have more of a Halloween, witches and ghosts and goblins kind of feel to it.

I really like the idea. It's a nice play on the movie title. I know a few women who would fit in on that team. Anyway, the design looks more like an illustration than a logo. The wordmark is okay but it seems to be lacking a little personality. The witch could be rendered much more dynamic than she currently is. You could try her looking over a cauldron (with baseball seams) or at bat with a broomstick. Or she could be riding a baseball bat instead of a broomstick. There are a lot of possibilities with this idea - explore and don't be afraid to get a little "out there" with it. Personally, I think if you used a lighter green and worked some orange into the design it would have more of a Halloween, witches and ghosts and goblins kind of feel to it.

Thanks logoman, some great suggestions in there, I'll have a play with some of them. I'm particularly inspired by the bat as broomstick.

I'm struggling to understand the difference between "illustration" and "logo". Not trying to disagree, you're not the first to give that feedback so there's must be something to it, just trying to "get it". What might help it cross the line to logo?

Is it just me, or does the witches head look detatched from the body?

That said, I LOVE the colours!

Yeah, I see what you mean, I think I was concerned about losing the head in the body and just created a new problem. I'll see if I can fix that.

Thanks logoman, some great suggestions in there, I'll have a play with some of them. I'm particularly inspired by the bat as broomstick.

I'm struggling to understand the difference between "illustration" and "logo". Not trying to disagree, you're not the first to give that feedback so there's must be something to it, just trying to "get it". What might help it cross the line to logo?

Okay, I'll try to explain. It looks like you worked from a picture and traced the detail in that pic line-for-line. You should make the features a little less structured. Take a look at davidson's design tutorial thread and you'll see how he takes an image and turns into a logo with various stroke widths and uses "artistic license" to make some features more dynamic. Bolder strokes are usually always a good way to go. Use simple geometric shapes whenever possible to create your own style. It's obvious a witch is going to be used to represent a team named the Witches but she doesn't have to look like a photograph(or traced from a photo).

Just playing with the head for the moment, lost some lines, thickened and simplified others to try and logo-ise it. I made it very angular which I'm not sure about and may re-do, but I think I'm starting to get it?

witchstylized2.gif

Just playing with the head for the moment

That's what she said...

It had to be done, it was screaming out at me "do it, you have to, someone else will if you don't..."

But as for the logo, the arm seems just out there, not like it's apart of her and I don't know, the logo needs better shading.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

I liked the first attempt but your update looks killer. I like the idea for the team name. Logoman gave great advice and you took it and ran. Your new angular version works but it would look more iconic if you could put some nice dynamic shapes in there instead of all the sharp angles. The new simplified version would look awesome on some hats or tshirts. I'd like to see another update. You're moving from illustration to logo.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

The second version is, like you said, more "logo-ized." Much better. I think the change to the eyes was the biggest improvement. For some reasons the originals almost seemed too cute, IMO. In the primary logo I really like how she's holding the baseball like a poisoned apple. I can't wait to see the uniforms!

(What do you think of an alternate home jersey: black with green pinstripes with the "W" on the left side of the chest, white pants and the secondary hat logo on the cap? Would a bat-shaped broom be too silly as a tertiary logo?)

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

The design has definitely improved yet again, and I can see how the lighter green is better for a witch's skin color, but I think the darker green might be better as a "sports" color. Just two more cents from me...

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

The design has definitely improved yet again, and I can see how the lighter green is better for a witch's skin color, but I think the darker green might be better as a "sports" color. Just two more cents from me...

I would agree with this, but I think the update on the whole is great.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

• 3 weeks later...

Redid the hand as GMW79 suggested, also played a little with the wordmark. Any suggestions on how to improve it (even if that suggestion is go back to the old one) appreciated. The "Elsternwick" hasn't been changed to match the "Witches" yet, I want to get that right first.

Also attached a couple of secondary logos I've been working on and a possible cap on JayJaxon's template.

logos.png

Wow! *Love* the alt logos! Simple, yet *so* effective! Good work on the hand too. It looks a *lot* better now. I like the cap. The green bill is cool. What do you think of an alternate, all black hat using the socks (minus the baseball and green circle)?

Archived