Your favorite scoreboard

BigMac12

From what I'm told, this is the first scoreboard at a stadium ever, installed in Franklin Field in 1896.

(This is obviously from an Army-Navy Game, but I don't know exactly when)...

franklinoriginal.jpg

Interesting points:

- instead of the little football or symbol to indicate possession, it uses the team name, so they must have changed it out every time the ball changed hands

- it says how many yards "to gain" instead of "to go" like we say today

- took me a while to figure out the second line from the bottom, but it's for substitutions; it says __ TAKES PLACE OF __

Can anyone make out the bottom line? In any case, cool pic, thanks for posting that.

Though the scoreboard itself is pretty unremarkable, the sign the Rangers used to have at the Ballpark in Arlington struck me as absolutely hilarious in the age of $100 million contracts. Like yeah, the money's great and all, but I'm gonna smack a 500-foot homer 'cause then I'll win a free suit!

Scan3908.jpg

I do like the metal framing detail and the star on top.

Here's a shot from behind home plate (through the net obviously) to give perspective on where the sign was (at far right). This was taken during an event where fans could shag fly balls and run the bases, that's why all the people are on the field.

Scan3346.jpg

I love that scoreboard along with the one in center no matter how old they are. I really hope new management doesn't take them down like I've heard around town. (Rumor is that Greenburg wants to remove all the ads in center and make a huge ribbon going across it). I may be a bit too conservative, but they've already removed the manual scoreboard in left (and don't tell me the automatic one is better; I want to see all the scores at once), so it would be a shame to remove the one in center.

Seriously? The bastards. That was one of the best/coolest things about the Ballpark.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

800px-Camden_Yards%27_scoreboard.jpg

I was also going to say Camden Yards. It has a classic look to it...love the clock and the bird weather vane.

540709472_1f5c88fa64.jpg

I'm not even an Orioles fan but that's the closest park to me (Philly is slightly further but close also). I love the stadium, it has an old baseball feel but it nice and fairly new at the same time. Also, having the Inner Harbor next to it and a great skyline behind it helps also...especially on fireworks nights. I go down there to see the White Sox and my wife goes for Yankees games (she's from NY).

I'll take a classic ballpark any day over a new Radio Shack display like in Dallas.

87Redskins.png

Mind you, I've only been to two arenas (the Palace and The Q), and only one time was it for a sporting event; and that was the Cavs game on sunday.

I personally love their scoreboard. The fact that the swords fold down almsot 90 degrees to allow flames to shoot out is amazing.

Cavs_Opener_6512.jpg

How did that pass fire code?

87Redskins.png

I've never seen the scoreboard at Time Warner Cable Arena (Charlotte Bobcats' Arena), until a few minutes ago.

It is one of the coolest scoreboards I've ever seen; I love the miniature skyline!

BobcatsArena.jpg

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

That would be a lot cooler in a real city :P

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

• 7 months later...

Dragging this back to the top for a moment for a quick question - I haven't been to a NHL game for quite some time, so don't really remember, but do they usually show a constant video feed of the game during game play on the scoreboard these days? What about places that have only one board (four-sided). I'm guessing that most places with multiple boards would have constant video on one at all times...

Anyway, reason I ask is that Bemidji State is playing in a building with a video board for the first time:

dsc_6047.jpg

As you can see, its got a four-sided video board with a ring on the bottom (the ring has the score at all times, and they show in game video feed and replays on the main board. I guess what I'm asking is how else are these boards utilized? BSU uses a couple graphics (an intro and mostly advertising), but is there a good place with some good video examples online? I guess I just wish they utilized this $1 million toy a bit more than as a giant TV screen...

Its homer (personally would vote wrigley for still standing ones so I can't be that big of a homer) but I think this should be in the conversation:

4024382838_2a310505c8.jpg

The wings of the AB logo would flap after every cardinals home run...kinda cool feature...

I really wish that when they changed Angel Stadium back to a baseball only facility when the Rams left that they would have moved this back into the outfield. If they did, this would easily be at least one of the top 3 or 4 scoreboards in the league. Especially now that they refurbished it. Brand new paint job. New spotlights. New LED message board and a new LED Halo. Now instead of lights spinning around it, the Halo actually glows. It looks soooo amazing.

LIGHT UP THE HALO!

kvsoyg-web.markas.jpg24409_1287971833041_1042530094_30718047_7057770_n.jpgHaloLit20091019.jpg

I love that and all the scoreboards in Anaheim Stadium and also Dodger Stadium. I do love the classics of Fenway and Wrigley and I loved the scoreboard of the Marlins in left field and the Royals logo scoreboard. On a side note to the Anaheim Stadium Big A marquee (the scoreboard that Mighty is showing), I actually did an ad that I think was or is displayed on that, along with one that's displayed on the Honda Center Marquee that's near the freeway.

Dragging this back to the top for a moment for a quick question - I haven't been to a NHL game for quite some time, so don't really remember, but do they usually show a constant video feed of the game during game play on the scoreboard these days? What about places that have only one board (four-sided). I'm guessing that most places with multiple boards would have constant video on one at all times...

Anyway, reason I ask is that Bemidji State is playing in a building with a video board for the first time:

dsc_6047.jpg

As you can see, its got a four-sided video board with a ring on the bottom (the ring has the score at all times, and they show in game video feed and replays on the main board. I guess what I'm asking is how else are these boards utilized? BSU uses a couple graphics (an intro and mostly advertising), but is there a good place with some good video examples online? I guess I just wish they utilized this $1 million toy a bit more than as a giant TV screen...

I was just at the Nassau Coliseum today and I honestly don't remember if they show a constant feed of the game on the scoreboard. I think they do. And I'm pretty sure MSG does as well. I'll try to remember to pay attention the next time I go to a game.

Scoreboards at the American Airlines Center. In addition to the main hanging scoreboard, the AAC also has the stat boards at each end:

100_5775.jpg

Old Arlington Stadium had a cool scoreboard, until they put up the billboards above the bleachers.

arlingtonstadiumlfbleaclf9.jpgscoreboardwfireworksux0.jpgarlingtonstadium1.jpg

And of course, the Astrodome had the "exploding scoreboard" until they expanded the upper decks.

4477386369_f40188045b_o.jpg

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

Archived