The Evolution of Baseball Video Games

rmackman

I'm pretty sure I own every single baseball game ever made for the N64, except All-Star Baseball '99. (And is there '98? I have 2000 and 2001.) It's 75% crap, such as Bottom of the 9th and Mike Piazza's Strike Zone. I just bought that crap in like 2005 because I wanted to fill in my collection. Anyway, for N64 I have to concur with Flame and go with Griffey's Slugfest. I played it only a few months ago and did horribly, but I still love it. Second-best has to be ASB 2001. I love that game still.

I only owned one baseball game for Game Boy Color, Triple Play 2000. For Game Boy, I think that game was as good as it gets.

But overall, there is no question in my mind that the best baseball game ever is MVP Baseball 2005. I've probably put 300+ hours into that game in my life, and I have never played it Live. Just one-player and Owner Mode. I have an update to just last year, but now that I finally got a 360 and the game isn't backwards compatible, I have no idea what I am going to do. Buy 2K10? Unlikely. That series sucks. I would love to try The Show because I always hear it's great, but I cannot see a baseball game being superior to MVP '05.

Buy The Show. Even if you don't like it better than MVP 2005, you will still be very happy with it.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own both MVP 2005 and The Show 09, and both are incredible games. But if I had to choose the better of the two, MVP would be tops for me. Everything - and I mean everything- is head and shoulders above the rest. Gameplay, soundtrack, game modes, everything. Plus, you can use unlocked legends and created players in home run derbys in MVP whereas in The Show, you can't. A home run derby featuring Jimmie Foxx, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Willie Stargell, and Harmon Killebrew is much more exciting than one with only active players, hands down.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived