Giants/Jets new endzones

xxvnyg80

Hmph. I guess I'll just have to adjust. It still doesn't feel natural to come back up and emphasize the "lands." You can't emphasize "lands." You can't emphasize beef, either. I wouldn't pronounce "Downingtown" as "Downington" either, for whatever it's worth.

Let's stop fighting over null vowels and endzone art and enjoy this song by the Wrens, which has gotta be up there in the best songs of the last decade, because I, too, am exhausted.

http://lala.com/zbBhI

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmph. I guess I'll just have to adjust. It still doesn't feel natural to come back up and emphasize the "lands." You can't emphasize "lands." You can't emphasize beef, either. I wouldn't pronounce "Downingtown" as "Downington" either, for whatever it's worth.

Let's stop fighting over null vowels and endzone art and enjoy this song by the Wrens, which has gotta be up there in the best songs of the last decade, because I, too, am exhausted.

http://lala.com/zbBhI

Sorry - I'm not saying to emphasize "lands" - simply to pronounce it as you would if it was an independent word (rhymes with lambs). It'd still be mEDowlands (I think.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

a few thoughts from a NY Giant season ticket holder...

first off, a significant majority of giants fans have wanted the jets out for years. it's not a tough-guy attitude or a "we-were-here-first" thing.. simply put the giants identify with the north jersey/nyc/westchester county area while the jets are deeply rooted in the counties of long island. yes, I realize there are jets fans in jersey, I grew up and argued with many of them!! it was a MAJOR disappointment when word came down that we would be sharing again. one fact that slips by many people is that the giants wanted the eastern end of the stadium open (like pittsburgh and new england) with a view of the NYC skyline, but the jets insisted on enclosed.

selfishly I wanted the jets out so the new stadium would have GRASS, not the fake alternative. for the record i am an ANTI-fake field guy and knew the only way grass had a chance of coming back for the giants was if they were the only ones playing on the field (plus college and some HS).

as for the tailgating discussion, it is a MAJOR part of the giants-sunday experience. there would have been no tailgating in a stadium built on the westside of manhattan. my family did the whole 'commute' to see the giants in the polo grounds, yankee stadium, yale bowl, shea, and finally in the meadows. tailgating didn't take off until the move to bergen county in '76. all the other years it was a sandwich in aluminum foil in the backseat...

for the record, the only, ONLY person I ever heard pronounce "meadowlands" with a soft "a" was merrill reese when he called the pisarcik fumble/edwards recovery in... well, some of us remember that all too well!! anyhow, i still chuckle when i hear his call ending with a "stunned meadowlends".

by the way, I paid my 1,000 bucks for my PSL and seat in the new stadium, which I believe should be called and I will always call it(credit to Phil Mushnick of the NY Post).. PSL STADIUM.

I think during Jets home games it was referred to as The Meadowlands and when the Giants were playing it was referred to as Giants Stadium.

Being a long time Dolphins fan, everytime I watch them play at the Jets, the broadcast almost always begins "Live from the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ"

Of course, when the Giants played at Yankee Stadium between the '50s and '70s, they didn't call Yankee Stadium a different name.

Packers-2.png

a few thoughts from a NY Giant season ticket holder...

first off, a significant majority of giants fans have wanted the jets out for years. it's not a tough-guy attitude or a "we-were-here-first" thing.. simply put the giants identify with the north jersey/nyc/westchester county area while the jets are deeply rooted in the counties of long island. yes, I realize there are jets fans in jersey, I grew up and argued with many of them!! it was a MAJOR disappointment when word came down that we would be sharing again. one fact that slips by many people is that the giants wanted the eastern end of the stadium open (like pittsburgh and new england) with a view of the NYC skyline, but the jets insisted on enclosed.

While the Jets and Giants would play in different stadiums rooted in the base of their own fanbases in a perfect world, it's just not going to happen. If the land isn't there, if the support from the community isn't there, a stadium on Long Island isn't going to be built. Pragmatically, Giants fans have to realize they don't represent the whole of New York NFL football. There's another team with a fanbase of its own, and they have to acknowledge that.

selfishly I wanted the jets out so the new stadium would have GRASS, not the fake alternative. for the record i am an ANTI-fake field guy and knew the only way grass had a chance of coming back for the giants was if they were the only ones playing on the field (plus college and some HS).

I REALLY don't get the artificial turf hate. When Astrotruf was the norm I could understand it, as it did look cheap. The new stuff though, looks almost indistinguishable from real grass. If it's easier and cheaper to install and maintain, I have no problem with it. I guess I just never got the point of hating fake grass.

as for the tailgating discussion, it is a MAJOR part of the giants-sunday experience. there would have been no tailgating in a stadium built on the westside of manhattan. my family did the whole 'commute' to see the giants in the polo grounds, yankee stadium, yale bowl, shea, and finally in the meadows. tailgating didn't take off until the move to bergen county in '76. all the other years it was a sandwich in aluminum foil in the backseat...

Like Goth suggested, they could have turned the top level of the parking garage(s) for the West Side Stadium into a tailgating zone.

Furthermore I'll go back to my original point. It seems silly to base something as important as a stadium location on something like tailgating. Fans will always find a way to cope.

Really I have no problem with this new shared Medowlands Stadium, but if we're going to be hypothetical I would have preferred a shared West Side Stadium.

Well, all I know is that I will be watching a U2 concert at the new Meadow-LANDS :) in July. I'll let everyone know how the place measures up to other stadiums I've been to. I think the U2 concert will be the first major event there if I'm not mistaken.

It seems silly to base something as important as a stadium location on something like tailgating.

I think this (along with insufficient public transit and the need to accommodate outstate commuters) was a reason given for not building Miller Park in downtown Milwaukee.

Like Goth suggested, they could have turned the top level of the parking garage(s) for the West Side Stadium into a tailgating zone.

Furthermore I'll go back to my original point. It seems silly to base something as important as a stadium location on something like tailgating. Fans will always find a way to cope.

Really I have no problem with this new shared Medowlands Stadium, but if we're going to be hypothetical I would have preferred a shared West Side Stadium.

That's simply not a good solution. Tailgating is part of the culture in a lot of cities. Hell - the RVs and busses are in South Philadelphia at 6:00 AM for a 4:15 game (and sometimes even for a 8:30 game). I'm sure that there are a lot of fans who go more for the experience than the actual games. Honestly, if I didn't work there, that's why I would go. I don't get all suicidal when a sports team loses, so what happens during the actual game isn't nearly as important to me as having an overall enjoyable experience. That means getting together with friends, drinking, playing games, horsing around, then watching a game and enjoying all the pomp and circumstance that is NFL gameday.

Teams go through good and bad seasons.. but tailgating is always good. A city / team that embraces this is set up better for long-term success, because people will still always come out even when the team sucks. If you put the tailgaters a mile away and make them use shuttle busses, or stuff them in a garage, or basically ignore them, it makes it much more difficult logistically to attend a game, and makes the trouble-to-enjoyment factor lower, which in turn will mean possible blackouts when the team sucks.

For better or worse, culture is what it is - and in a lot of cities, it would be a catastrophic mistake to move stadiums into areas not conducive to tailgating. Hell - I saw people tailgating a regatta last weekend.

Baseball is a little different. While there is certainly tailgating that goes on there, I think the benefits of a downtown stadium outweigh the negatives of losing that aspect of it. Football, being the once ever two weeks event that it is, is a lot different.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Remember when the Saints and Tulane used the Superdome (maybe still do, not sure) and one end zone said "Saints" in thier colors and the other said "Tulane" in theirs?? Why not just do that?

Probably because it would be dumb.

Great informative take, d-bag. Appreicate the input.

It just doesn't really make sense to have one endzone say "Giants" and one say "Jets" when they're able to switch the end zones so that each team gets their name in both end zones when they are home. It's even better that they will be able for each team to have their logo at the 50 now.

Now that is a good take. Thanks. Its a message board, I was just throwing out an idea that popped into my head. It was interesting when the Superdome did it, but that was, like, 25 or 30 years ago. As you said, technology will allow them to do a better job with that kind of stuff now.

Remember when the Saints and Tulane used the Superdome (maybe still do, not sure) and one end zone said "Saints" in thier colors and the other said "Tulane" in theirs?? Why not just do that?

Probably because it would be dumb.

Great informative take, d-bag. Appreicate the input.

It just doesn't really make sense to have one endzone say "Giants" and one say "Jets" when they're able to switch the end zones so that each team gets their name in both end zones when they are home. It's even better that they will be able for each team to have their logo at the 50 now.

Now that is a good take. Thanks. Its a message board, I was just throwing out an idea that popped into my head. It was interesting when the Superdome did it, but that was, like, 25 or 30 years ago. As you said, technology will allow them to do a better job with that kind of stuff now.

So, in other words, that idea would be dumb.

Since we're on the topic of endzones, how long before the NFL issues a standardized endzone template?

Ha! I was just thinking of that myself a while back. With the changes to the logos and trophies, I kinda figure they will try to start making the fields all look the same, too.

If anything, I think the next attempted step will be a leaguewide contract with FieldTurf. There will be holdups, most likely in Oakland and Chicago, but they will try to get everyone on a uniform surface.

If anything, I think the next attempted step will be a leaguewide contract with FieldTurf. There will be holdups, most likely in Oakland and Chicago, but they will try to get everyone on a uniform surface.

Wow. You're right - but I could see the pressure for something like that coming from the PA rather than the league.

Archived