College Football Uniforms 2010-2011

Brave-Bird 08

Northwestern is considering new uniforms for next season. Nothing has been confirmed though.

I hope they go with "Northwestern stripes".

The image below was posted on a message board and is *supposedly* one of the designs they are considering. If true, then Northwestern stripes would be back at Northwestern. I know they've been reluctant to add black back to the uniforms- though black pants have been worn twice in the last three seasons- because it's not a school color. I think this uniform would be an upgrade over the USC-style uniforms they've been wearing for awhile now.

NU_newjersey.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northwestern is considering new uniforms for next season. Nothing has been confirmed though.

The image below was posted on a message board and is *supposedly* one of the designs they are considering. If true, then Northwestern stripes would be back at Northwestern. I know they've been reluctant to add black back to the uniforms- though black pants have been worn twice in the last three seasons- because it's not a school color. I think this uniform would be an upgrade over the USC-style uniforms they've been wearing for awhile now.

NU_newjersey.jpg

That drawing is not what the adidas designs that are sent to the schools look like. They very well may wear something similiar, but that's not close to what an official design document looks like.

What that appears to be is a design done on the adidas Team Uniform Builder than someone printed out then too a picture of to make it look legit.

NU_newjersey.jpg

Am I the only one that wouldn't consider this a "northwestern" stripe? To me, a northwestern strip is three stripes, thin/thick/thin, all the same color (although they can be consistantly trimmed in a second color ... like the 70's vikings and lions). I worked at a silkscreen shop in the 80's and in our catalog the above stripe (thin/thick/thin in two colors) was listed as a "USC stripe".

I never thought that a Northwestern stripe had to be all the same color. I get why you call it the USC stripe, but I think that nowadays, the current USC / Texans / Patriots stripe would probably be the definition of the USC stripe.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

maybe a return to black jerseys?

They've really pushed purple up here lately, so I doubt that they would go back to black jerseys. I would think this sort of reintroduction of black is much more likely:

NU_newjersey.jpg

Am I the only one that wouldn't consider this a "northwestern" stripe? To me, a northwestern strip is three stripes, thin/thick/thin, all the same color (although they can be consistantly trimmed in a second color ... like the 70's vikings and lions). I worked at a silkscreen shop in the 80's and in our catalog the above stripe (thin/thick/thin in two colors) was listed as a "USC stripe".

As far as this look, I'm not sure the black would pop enough on a purple jersey. The stripe pattern (not placement) reminds me a bit of these, which of all their recent jerseys (basically the same "USC" template with ever-changing number fonts), I kind of like the best, even though I appreciate the simplicity of the current purple and white for the overall look:

a_danderson_hi.jpg

18dam.jpg

kafka-wednesdayjpg-6f485ace436bf1a8_large.jpg

Not sure forcing black into the design would work...

EDIT: This blog has a nice breakdown of NU uni history and has a mockup of the rumored update as well: Hail to Purple

... and another NU blog has independent confirmation that they are "exploring new uniforms for 2010": Lake the Posts

I never thought that a Northwestern stripe had to be all the same color. I get why you call it the USC stripe, but I think that nowadays, the current USC / Texans / Patriots stripe would probably be the definition of the USC stripe.

Yeah, it was back in the 80's, when USC actually wore that two color stripe,

Anyone heard of any helmet changes at Arkansas? NCAA 11 has them with black facemasks for some reason. Most likely not going to happen, coming from a source that had Iowa's facemask white last year. Just curious though if it had been heard of.

Loco_all_550.jpg

Louisville under new Coach Charlie Strong has gone to white facemasks (from red).

Word is that he will also be getting rid of the pointed stripe on the helmet and replacing it with traditional striping.

As for uniforms, it is said that the new ones will be similar to Florida's (where Coach Strong came from) and/or will look similar to Louisville's uniforms under Howard Schnellenberger.

and this logo on their helmet would be so much better than the bird

2842.gif

link that appeared on today's Uni Watch about Virginia's new uniforms

Oregon on the East Coast?

With countless options, Oregon?s football fans arrive at games anxious to see what uniform combination will be on display.

Could the same anticipation be coming to Scott Stadium?

Sources confirmed to The Daily Progress that Virginia will have at least three jersey combinations to wear in 2010 with the addition of an orange top, a move that players have longed to make a permanent option.

?It will be different on one Saturday,? said London, ?and it may be different on another Saturday. I can tell you that.?

Images of the new-age Nike uniforms are expected to be released by the school?s media relations department late next week.

It will remain a secret until then.

?It?s a work in progress,? London said. ?I got memos and e-mails and guards standing outside the door.

?I can?t do anything or say anything about that.?

the article was published on friday, so I assume that means the uniforms will be unveiled later this week

Anyone heard of any helmet changes at Arkansas? NCAA 11 has them with black facemasks for some reason. Most likely not going to happen, coming from a source that had Iowa's facemask white last year. Just curious though if it had been heard of.

Arkansas is switching to Nike this Summer, so the uniforms will be all new. Doubt they change the helmet though.

link that appeared on today's Uni Watch about Virginia's new uniforms

Oregon on the East Coast?

With countless options, Oregon?s football fans arrive at games anxious to see what uniform combination will be on display.

Could the same anticipation be coming to Scott Stadium?

Sources confirmed to The Daily Progress that Virginia will have at least three jersey combinations to wear in 2010 with the addition of an orange top, a move that players have longed to make a permanent option.

?It will be different on one Saturday,? said London, ?and it may be different on another Saturday. I can tell you that.?

Images of the new-age Nike uniforms are expected to be released by the school?s media relations department late next week.

It will remain a secret until then.

?It?s a work in progress,? London said. ?I got memos and e-mails and guards standing outside the door.

?I can?t do anything or say anything about that.?

the article was published on friday, so I assume that means the uniforms will be unveiled later this week

So having 3 uni combos makes you Oregon these days?

Arkansas is switching to Nike this Summer, so the uniforms will be all new. Doubt they change the helmet though.

Nike's put out some bad uniforms, but hardly any template is worse than the set Arkansas has worn for the past couple years. Hopefully they stick with red and white and don't become yet another team to annoyingly emphasize black.

Looks like Tubberville is bringing a white Tech helmet...

Be interesting to see if this really happens...

4499132110_a24b280bfa_o.png

Anybody else hate that wonky super-beveled logo?

I can live with it. I do love those white helmets.

Looks like Tubberville is bringing a white Tech helmet...

Be interesting to see if this really happens...

4499132110_a24b280bfa_o.png

Anybody else hate that wonky super-beveled logo?

I can live with it. I do love those white helmets.

That would be Tubby having Auburn withdrawls

Michigan should model their home and away like the NY Giants do. have the solid color jersey for home, and then do the triple sleeve stripe in maize in blue for the roads. i think that would be best

I like that idea a lot. It would allow them to keep the traditional aspect of solid colored jersey but utilize more color in the away. I would love to see a mock up of something like that.

I don't get, and probably never will, having two totally different designs for home and road uniforms in football, basketball, and hockey. I think there's ways to justify it in baseball, but only a certain finite amount of ways.

So they want to keep the blue jersey "traditional", yet still be a "cutting edge" team? I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to portray the same "traditional" image when you're visiting other teams homes as you do at your own home. It's kind of like their "brand", if you will.

If they must tinker with the white jersey (and just admit that it's a way of selling new stuff - there's nothing wrong with that - just don't deny it) why not come up with something that ties in to the helmet wings a little better? I actually like the current adidas road, and I liked the Nike one before it. I think there may be more opportunity there to build a more cohesive uniform.

Where did I ever say "cutting edge team"? How would having a couple of yellow sleeve stripes on the away jerseys make it cutting edge???? The NY Giants made it work with their look and I happen to be someone who loves that look. Who says that both the home and away have to look identical? I think you might just be used to having it that way. I don't hear anyone complaining about the Yankees having two different home and away jerseys. Yet many other baseball teams have identical home and away jerseys (except of course for the fact that one is grey and the other is white). You are just used to seeing the Yankees that way and accept it. No one says that football has to be that way...it just HAPPENS to be that way for MOST teams.

Replying to one's post doesn't necessarily mean that you are contesting every little point or that every single thing you type has to directly tie in to something they posted. It could be merely a way to build on a point, or touch on a point but then interject your own viewpoint.

You never said "cutting edge". I never said you did. I said "they". And having jerseys with piping and shoulder swoosh thingys is rather cutting edge, (or at least was, before pro combat changed everything.)

The whole "nobody is complaining about"... argument is pretty dumb. If we started a topic about the Yankees, you'd get all kinds of opinions on them. It just so happens that someone specifically brought up Michigan. Now with the Yankees, it's hard to argue because they've been that way for so long, and things like branding weren't really as big back in the day. They just needed a gray uniform that clearly displayed the city they were from. In my post, I actually said that there were a finite set of circumstances where it was OK in baseball. It's not an iron clad rule.

It is MY opinion that it's silly for Michigan to have a totally traditional home set paired with a modern away set. That's all. It's just my opinion.

no offense, but you basically could have just responded with: It's just my opinion. Because the rest of your response didn't really say anything of substance. I honestly couldn't follow anything you were saying until the last line. Of course its your opinion. Its certainly not MINE ^_^

A Northwestern Stripe is a single color. If it's in 2 colors, it's technically not a Northwestern Stripe anymore. Some have expanded the definition to include 2 color stripes, but I prefer to make the distinction.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived