College Football Uniforms 2010-2011

Brave-Bird 08

Something interesting from Uni Watch:

Tigers changing their stripes?: Under Armour released a new commercial yesterday. Apparently it ran about a jillion times on ESPN, although I didn?t see it myself until about a dozen readers brought it to my attention. Take a look and see if you can spot what those readers spotted:

As I bet most of you saw, the pants in the jersey have a Northwestern stripe, instead of Auburn?s usual solid stripe. Several readers opined that this solved the one major problem they see in Auburn?s uniform, namely that the pants striping doesn?t match the helmet or sleeve striping.

This raises two questions:

1) Is this Under Armour?s way of letting us know that Auburn will have new pants striping for the game against Oregon on Monday night?

2) Regardless of what happens on Monday, is it really necessary for all the stripe patterns to match up? Is it even a good idea? When three elements are in such close physical proximity to each other, I think having them all repeat is a bit much. I know some people get all bent out of shape if sleeve stripes don?t match up with sock stripes and so on, but I think there?s a tendency to overthink these things. Personally, I don?t think it?s such a travesty that the current pants striping doesn?t match up with the sleeves or helmet.

Upgrade if true. I'm not necessarily into every single stripe on every part of the uniform, but in Auburn's case, I think it's needed simply because with the striping being identical on the helmet and jersey, it looks awkward that the pants are the way they are.

Miami (OH) are wearing new helmets for their bowl game against Middle Tennessee tonight. They white with the "M" logo on one side, the player's number on the other, and two thin red stripes in the middle (normally have stripeless helmets).

The problem with the set is that the current "M" on the front of the jersey ruins the look of the presumed throwback set.

I like it. At least as a special bowl game helmet. I do wish the helmet stripes were a permanent thing though.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EA was mistaken. TCU had back-ups there. The new cleats weren't the problem. TCU is fast and that was just a bad field for speedy players. The guys slipping weren't wearing the new alpha talons; they were wearing the same carbon vapors they wore all season and some last season (which are molded and don't have detachable cleats). If they changed, the only difference would have been the color.

That's not what the TCU equipment managers told her. She didn't make it up, she got it directly from TCU officials on the field.

Miami (OH) are wearing new helmets for their bowl game against Middle Tennessee tonight. They white with the "M" logo on one side, the player's number on the other, and two thin red stripes in the middle (normally have stripeless helmets).

My guess is that the helmet belonged to a throwback set, but those jerseys looked like the regular set.

My guess is that the helmet belonged to a throwback set, but those jerseys looked like the regular set.

During the game, they said the helmet took one element from the 60s, 70s, and 80s which is why one of it really matched.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I wouldn't call A&M entirely classic. That abomination of a pants stripe ruins what was a great look.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I just hate that jersey cut by adidas. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems off.

It's still a visually appealing matchup, though.

I definitely don't mind the jersey cut since unlike UCLA's severely truncated shoulder loops, the TechFit jersey didn't mess with A&M's design, but the pants design is just terrible.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I just hate that jersey cut by adidas. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems off.

It's still a visually appealing matchup, though.

I definitely don't mind the jersey cut since unlike UCLA's severely truncated shoulder loops, the TechFit jersey didn't mess with A&M's design, but the pants design is just terrible.

Agreed. The three-stripe setup they had looked really good, especially on the gray pants.

6kub.jpg

Wow. Eye-gasm.

They just made their near-perfect uniforms, perfect.

I've always wondered why it wasn't that way in the first place.

Is there a reason the Bowl patch is on different shoulders for each mannequin?

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Well the stripes on the blue don't really match

You either have to do it like Florida, with everything matching perfect; or have the format of the stripes match perfect. In this case the 'format' of the stripes are the same. I'd much rather it be like that than the former.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I never minded the pants with the blue jersey because the regular blue-orange-blue stripe is actually on the sleeve (sandwhiched between the two white stripes, if you get what I'm saying), but they look really bad with the white jersey. At least, that's how I've always tried to get past the mismatching stripes in my OCD head.

The new stripes on the pants don't match exactly, but I'll take it. I have no idea why they weren't striped this way to begin with. I hope they wear them in the NCG.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I never minded the pants with the blue jersey because the regular blue-orange-blue stripe is actually on the sleeve (sandwhiched between the two white stripes, if you get what I'm saying), but they look really bad with the white jersey. At least, that's how I've always tried to get past the mismatching stripes in my OCD head.

The new stripes on the pants don't match exactly, but I'll take it. I have no idea why they weren't striped this way to begin with. I hope they wear them in the NCG.

They will, you can see the NCG patch on the right upper chest. The blue stripes on the pants could be a little thicker, but regardless it's a definite (albeit small) upgrade.

jNTsTyQ.png

I think it would be hilarious if War Eagle Nation went apoplectic over the tweak to the pants stripes. Auburn had the trendy drop-shadow on its numbers for how many seasons, again?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Auburn will look great wearing these in the National Championship. Now I want them to win more because it would be a shame if they lost and went back to the old stripes because of it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived