College Football Uniforms 2010-2011

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, trust me. Kids care what the uniforms look like. When VaTech took the field in their PCs my news feed lit up with comments about the uniforms. In an ESPN article a year or two ago polling college football players, Oregon was voted to have the best unis, with some saying they'd transfer schools just because of that. Kids like what's cool, they like changing things up. Oregon is DEFINATELY cool.

I get that, of course kids think they're cool. I'm not denying that. What I am denying is that it really makes that much of a difference in recruiting. Some make it sound like it's the big factor, the winner, etc. I highly doubt that. What if Oregon were a Pac-10 basement dweller in those uniforms, would kids still go because the uniforms looked "rad" or "hot" or something? It helps that Oregon is a top program and an attractive one as far as on-field success, but if they

weren't, you probably wouldn't get as strong a response. Uniforms, whether they be modern or traditional, are great message board discussion topics, but Its just my humble opinion that uniforms, in the end, really don't matter all that much in recruiting. If you were to survey each college football player and ask them why they came to the school they did, I think "uniforms" wouldn't even crack 3%.

Perhaps the impact on recruiting is less direct.

Oregon enjoys a recruiting advantage in recent years, thanks to their superior facilities - paid for in large part by Phil Knight's booster cash. Knight isn't just doing it to be a supportive alum, of course: Nike benefits from using Oregon as their pet design project. I wonder if Knight would invest as much $ in Oregon if they were more traditionalist, and weren't willing to allow Nike to use them as billboards for their most avant-garde designs. Perhaps the fact that Oregon is indeed willing to go along with this design aesthetic enables them to receive the big Knight dollars, which in turn enables them to hire the right staff and build an attractive physical plant.

For some reason lemichael james helmet looks different, is it a new type of helmet? It just doesnt look like a regular revo speed helmet.

he's rockin the Schutt Ion helmet. same as Justin Tuck and Brandon Jacobs.

2011_ION_4D-600px.jpg

e474a734b4fe3d77ec1719ceaf5167cc-getty-98606167nl009_philadelphia_.jpg

ok, thanks, im just used to seeing james in a revo speed and in fact i think he switched back into one right before the game started because he is wearing one now.

For some reason lemichael james helmet looks different, is it a new type of helmet? It just doesnt look like a regular revo speed helmet.

he's rockin the Schutt Ion helmet. same as Justin Tuck and Brandon Jacobs.

2011_ION_4D-600px.jpg

e474a734b4fe3d77ec1719ceaf5167cc-getty-98606167nl009_philadelphia_.jpg

He's still wearing the Revo Speed... don't know why it looks different.

StadiumSig.gif

He's wearing the revo speed...how can you possibly think that's a Schutt Ion helmet? I thought this thread was mainly full of people who are inclined when it comes to visual aesthetics.

The facemask is a newer one for the Speed helmet. It has the robot bars covering the eyes.

The NCAA needs to nip this in the bud. Ban non-school color uniforms.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Oh, trust me. Kids care what the uniforms look like. When VaTech took the field in their PCs my news feed lit up with comments about the uniforms. In an ESPN article a year or two ago polling college football players, Oregon was voted to have the best unis, with some saying they'd transfer schools just because of that. Kids like what's cool, they like changing things up. Oregon is DEFINATELY cool.

Obviously spelling isn't cool these days.

The whole "Oregon's uniforms give them a big recruiting advantage," arguement is a little exagerated. Sure it helps them out with some kids, but I would bet that it also hurts them with other kids. For every kid that loves Oregon's uniforms there is another kid who loves Penn State's uniforms. And like knnhrvy16 said, any kid who bases what college he attends on what their uniform looks like is an idiot.

jNTsTyQ.png

Wasn't there some Nike shill telling everybody here last week that there's nothing wrong with those Nike cleats? They're sure looking like savants so far.

Both teams are slipping moron, not just Oregon. Don't let that get in the way of your Nike bashing though. People who were on the field tweeted that the turf felt "loose".

P.S. The same shoes were worn in every NFL playoff game this weekend. Did you notice a lot of slipping in those games?

Well, looks like that backfired on Nikegon spectacularly.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I like the charcoal pants, they just look a lot better with the rest of the uniform than the white ones. Great last-minute switcheroo by Nike.

Wellp...looks like we'll have white, navy, and orange going up against chrome, white, and charcoal...with highlighter feet and trim.

That is actually a genius move by Nike. Recruits are going to be watching this, and Oregon looks like a modern team in the age of technology that the recruits can more easily relate to, whereas Auburn just looks stuck in the past.

No, Auburn doesn't look stuck in the past, they have a classic uniform. Once again, you are greatly exaggerating the impact of Oregon's clownsuits. Some recruits will go there because the uniforms are "kewl," but some probably dislike them. Auburn, USC, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Michigan and Penn State all pull in top recruiting classes without wearing random colors. Just like Boise is "that school with the blue turf," Oregon was kinda put on the map because of the silly Nike uniforms. It's their thing, but that doesn't put them ahead of other schools. Many top recruits will go to schools with traditional uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Wellp...looks like we'll have white, navy, and orange going up against chrome, white, and charcoal...with highlighter feet and trim.

That is actually a genius move by Nike. Recruits are going to be watching this, and Oregon looks like a modern team in the age of technology that the recruits can more easily relate to, whereas Auburn just looks stuck in the past.

No, one team looked like an actual football team. The other looked like it was playing dress-up. Guess which one came out on top?

Can we put "Oregon's uniforms are a recruitment tool" myth to rest now? No recruit in their right mind is going to let a program's uniform be the deciding factor.

No, one team looked like an actual football team. The other looked like it was playing dress-up. Guess which one came out on top?

Can we put "Oregon's uniforms are a recruitment tool" myth to rest now? No recruit in their right mind is going to let a program's uniform be the deciding factor.

Oregon's unis did not factor into the final play of the game. Stop blaming their loss on their uniforms.

Oregon's unis did not factor into the final play of the game. Stop blaming their loss on their uniforms.

Oh lighten up. Of course they didn't factor into the loss.

They still looked awful though. Biggest game of the program's history and you don't even wear your school's colours?

He's wearing the revo speed...how can you possibly think that's a Schutt Ion helmet? I thought this thread was mainly full of people who are inclined when it comes to visual aesthetics.

The facemask is a newer one for the Speed helmet. It has the robot bars covering the eyes.

1000 apologies. i think the facemask + carbon print on the contours threw me.

1000 apologies. i think the facemask + carbon print on the contours threw me.

I believe this is the new Riddell Revolution 360. There was a mention of it in the last ESPN the Mag. There was a comparison of the newest helmets from Riddell, Schutt and Xenith. If i remember right it said something about being on th market in late Jan.

6812257506_f163afb409_c.jpg

Archived