Bonds Smacks Hr #660

nitroseed

First off... How good of a defensive player was Babe Ruth?

That doesn't make him better than Bonds. And like I said in a previous point...

Barry Bonds is THE greatest home run hitter of all time. Dispute it all you want but the facts don't lie. No other hitter of all time has been walked as often as Barry Bonds, and Bonds still produces the numbers. In the last 2 years... in 273 games, Bonds was walked 346 times. Thats a little over 1.25 times per game.

Hank Aaron, the current Home Run King was never walked more than 92 times in a season in his entire career. Bonds has been walked over 100 times in a season 11 times in his career. Over 140 times 5 times in his career. And was walked 198 times in 2002. Ask anyone and the most tell-tale stat for hitters is OPS (On-Base Plus Slugging) because that stat takes into mind every aspect of hitting. Bonds' OPS has been record breaking. In 2002, it was 1.381. That 'best player in the league' playing 3B for NY's career high is 1.045. As well as his OPS being record breaking... his Slugging percentage is monumental.

I don't believe Bonds' OPS of late has ever been equalled by a player. Barry Bonds, stat-wise could be the best hitter ever.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I was just asking the question. Nobody talks of Hank Aaron being the best ever, even though he holds the HR record, but the idea that Bonds could hold it makes him the best ever.

It's tough to compare across eras, but I'd still have to say Ruth. Not only was he an exceptional--and I dare say, revolutionary--hitter, but he was an outstanding pitcher as well. Bonds' feats are extraordinary, for certain, but they're not so far outside the curve of modern baseball as to be out of the realm of understanding. I believe the stat I saw on Ruth, and I haven't gone double-checking it, is that by time Ruth got to 500 home runs, no one had even half of that.

Bonds has merits as well, being the only member of the 500 HR/500 SB club--and there's no one else even at 400/400. The stats mentioned here also are meritous. But I think I still have to give the nod to Ruth at the moment.

Besides, the only drug people accused Ruth of overindulging in was alcohol, and we know how "performance-enhancing" that is. ^_^

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

First, my opinion stated as if it were fact...

The true measure of 'greatness' is excelling past the contemporaries and fellow players. How ever much 'better' you are than the pack at YOUR time, determines your greatness.

Now, my opinion, and I'm sure none of you want to hear it, is this... Babe was far 'greater' than his contemporaries than Barry is. Barry woudl be my 4th pick if I was picking players today. Babe Ruth was abosultely without questiont he best player of his time.

Aaron is very underrated, and I hope some of you read the article that stated as much on ESPN the day of the 10th anniv.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

First off... How good of a defensive player was Babe Ruth?

You can make an argument that Babe Ruth was one of the best left-handed pitchers ever. Had he never picked up a bat he still would have made the hall of fame.

Bonds is a 1st ballot hall of famer, but he is not even close as one of the greatest players. Like Paynomind said he's not even the greatest player of this generation. And all of this is if you don't take steriods into consideration.

Bonds shouldn't be mentioned in the same, breath, paragraph, or universe as Ruth.

The fact some of you are putting Bonds above Ruth makes me worried about our education system, because i think some retards are falling through the cracks...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Wait... how is it so wrong to put Barry Bonds ahead of Babe Ruth?

How could you name the greatest player of all time as someone you've never seen play? I guarentee for some people it's because of the jersey he wore.

Also, let's not forget... the talent pool was watered down when Babe Ruth played.

and Paynomind, you're right... Babe Ruth was FAR greater than Barry Bonds by your measure... Babe Ruth was, by far, the best out of the white americans. Ya know... the ones who were allowed to play.

Did he ever have to hit or pitch against a minority? No. And Minorities make up a good majority of the best players in the games today. Bonds, Pujols, A-Rod, Jeter (I don't think he would've been allowed to play), Bartolo Colon, Vlad Guererro, Pudge Rodrigues, Javy Lopez, Mariano Rivera, Javier Vasquez.

Babe Ruth didn't even have to play against a number of the best players in the United States. Barry Bonds has to play with THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD.

Take ALL the minorities out of todays game and then you can judge them on a fair field in terms of how good they were for their era.

Barry Bonds hit 73 HR's in one season in the best pitchers park in all of baseball as his home stadium!

Babe Ruth will always be known as a hitter. Barry Bonds' hitting statistics are among the greatest of all time -- And probably THE greatest of all time. The OPS% is probably the most complete stat in all of sports in terms of judging. Barry Bonds probably has the best of all time at that.

IUe6Hvh.png

Ok, at the time baseball was the only pro-sport and all the best white athletes played baseball. Also, then there were 16 teams. The talent levels cancel each other out. Also, Bonds isnt even close to the best black player. Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, and Hank Aaron are all far greater.

The uniform Ruth wore? Yes, I'm a Yankee fan, but even Yankee Haters know Ruth is the best player ever.

On Bonds 73, he broke a 3 year old record and you had another player have close to 4 straight years with over 60 home runs.

You still haven't responded to Ruth hitting more home runs than any other TEAM, or the fact he would have been a first ballot hall of famer had he not picked up a bat.

Okay... now, I'm seriously annoyed by all this 660/661 crap. At first, I didn't mind it, but they have crossed the line with the hype. ESPN cut into an NHL PLAYOFF GAME to show every stupid at-bat Bonds has. Who gives a flying crap? He's not even going for the record; he's going for third! When has anyone in the history of sports ever cared who was in third place for anything? Simply ridiculous.

Okay... now, I'm seriously annoyed by all this 660/661 crap. At first, I didn't mind it, but they have crossed the line with the hype. ESPN cut into an NHL PLAYOFF GAME to show every stupid at-bat Bonds has. Who gives a flying crap? He's not even going for the record; he's going for third! When has anyone in the history of sports ever cared who was in third place for anything? Simply ridiculous.

agreed

Well, don't forget. It was a 3-0 NHL Playoff game, if you're referring to the Detroit/Nashville game. I agree though.

Also, the talent was still watered down no matter how many teams were in the league.

Yes, less teams means that there was still GOOD players in the league... but not allowing minorities means that perhaps some of the BEST were not in the game. You listed one of your best black players of all time as Jackie Robinson who wasn't allowed to play in the MLB for a number of years. How can you say that players equal in talent to Jackie Robinson weren't being left out.

You still haven't responded to Ruth hitting more home runs than any other TEAM, or the fact he would have been a first ballot hall of famer had he not picked up a bat.

Um, yeah I did.

Barry Bonds plays in the best pitchers park in the entire league. Considering the difference between playing half your games in Pac Bell (not sure if that's still the name) and entire teams getting to play in Minute Maid Field or Coors Field for half their games. Times were different. If Babe Ruth were to play now, he wouldn't even be in the league cuz' there's no way he could hit some of the pitchers in todays game.

and the fact that Babe Ruth didn't pitch against the best players at the time! A number of the best players at the time were being kept out! You can't fault a player because he can't pitch simply because he was never brought up TO pitch. Players, and kids are generally taught to do one or the other based on what they're better at these days. So that argument is wrong and stupid.

IUe6Hvh.png

could I ask this, how many of you got to see this guy do the things he's doing LIVE and IN PERSON?

Me, I have, many times. I was there for #600 as well

oh this just in: the guy who caught the homerun in mccovey cove yesterday as well as tonight pilots a blue kayak and wears a mask of our beloved GOVERNATOR!

Hell, I HATE the Yankees, and still believe that Ruth was the best player ever.

Everything you said may be true, but doesn't change the fact that what Ruth did was make every other contemporary look like a 3rd grader swinging uncooked spaghetti at the ball. Bonds looks like a top 5 player in his own league. Ruth's batting totals by themselves made whole teams look bad.

He hit his last home run on May 25th, 1935. Nineteen THIRTY-FIVE and he is still second ever. That?s unfathomable his total is good for 2nd all time, over 59 years.

The black players should have been allowed, but answer me this: if it was SOO easy to hit since only the white guys were playing, why doesn't anyone ELSE from the 20s and thirties have 600 home runs? Because none of THEM were the greatest player of all time. Only Ruth is.

Another issue is.. are we arguing best PLAYER or best hitter? Because even though I think both are Ruth, player shouldn't even be CLOSE. Look at how Ruth PITCHED in the World Series, or all things: He pitched 3 games in the series, a total of 31 innings, and compiled a 3-0 record and a 0.87 ERA. His ERA still ranks third all-time for career series statistics. As a batter, he collected 42 hits in 41 games with 15 home runs and 33 RBI. He compiled a .326 career average in the World Series. Give me Bonds' stats as JUST a hitter in the playoffs. I'll tell ya.. 9 HR, and 24 RBI in 48 games with a .245 average. Hardly the best ever.

Ruth played 20 years. Bond is now entering his 19th. I find that interesting too. No real poitn there.. just wanted to point it out.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived