Bonds Smacks Hr #660

nitroseed

and neither did the rest of the MLB.

Yup. Which puts him on even footing with Bonds, conditioning-wise compared to the rest of the league.

Bonds doesn't even outpace the other active players by the kind of percentages Ruth did. Ruth's records, at the time of his retirement, were Gretzky-like in their dominance.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more thing, Bonds probably was on the juice, but juice doesn't give you the ability to get a ball low in the strike zone or draw as many walks as he does. If the juice did that much for you, then why haven't Sheffield, Benetiz, and Giambi come close to 70?

Maybe not hitting a ball low in the strike zone, but drawing walks in Bonds' case come a lot due to the fact that pitchers don't want him homering, so they're more careful with their pitch location (ie. not dead-center on the plate), increasing the likelihood of a walk, and he's also one of the most intentionally walked players in the history of the game.

Both of these could be directly influenced by steroid-use, IF he indeed did use them.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Granted Ruth was a helluva ballyplayer, but the guys back then served up meatballs compared to some of the stuff these guys are throwing nowadays.

B.S. This is ridiculous. If it was so easy to hit meatballs back then, why did no one have HALF as many HRs when Ruth quit than he did? HALF, gentlemen. Bond has finished years where he only had 1 or 2 more or 1 or 2 LESS than the next guy. Ruth KILLED the competition back then. You can't say the game was easier, or the situations were different without looking at RELATIVE COMPETITION. Ruth was FAR better than anyone else he played with, and that counts as something.

Look, if Ruth walked out of the dug out, in his prime, right now today, he sits every time he is up on 3 straight curveballs. Fine. Terriffic. But in HIS time, Ruth was FAR better than Bonds is now.

As for the steroids, if YOUR head grows two hat sizes, i'm gonna point at YOU and say, "what the eff has THAT guy been injecting into his veins!"

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Granted Ruth was a helluva ballyplayer, but the guys back then served up meatballs compared to some of the stuff these guys are throwing nowadays.

B.S. This is ridiculous. If it was so easy to hit meatballs back then, why did no one have HALF as many HRs when Ruth quit than he did? HALF, gentlemen. Bond has finished years where he only had 1 or 2 more or 1 or 2 LESS than the next guy. Ruth KILLED the competition back then. You can't say the game was easier, or the situations were different without looking at RELATIVE COMPETITION. Ruth was FAR better than anyone else he played with, and that counts as something.

Look, if Ruth walked out of the dug out, in his prime, right now today, he sits every time he is up on 3 straight curveballs. Fine. Terriffic. But in HIS time, Ruth was FAR better than Bonds is now.

As for the steroids, if YOUR head grows two hat sizes, i'm gonna point at YOU and say, "what the eff has THAT guy been injecting into his veins!"

First off, paynomind, Ruth was bigger and probably FAR stronger than anybody he played with. Second off, Ruth wasn't playing against the best players of the time as alot of them may have been minorities. Strength is pretty damn important when the pitchers are throwing up meatballs that top at 70-75 MPH. When you're hitting 90+ in what's widely noted as the best pitchers park in baseball, even moreso than Petco, that's pretty damn impressive and strength doesn't have much of an effect. It's common knowledge that the pitchers of today are better than the pitchers of Ruth's era.

Let's put it this way... Remember the kid in Little League that was twice as big as any kid in the league? Well, in little league, because the pitches were slower... he dominated everyone and was so much better. But then as pitches starting getting faster, the little kids became better because they had the mechanics and the huge kid eventually became a crappy baseball player cuz' he had always depended on strength which was GOOD when the pitches were slow.

Yes, Ruth was better than the players of his time moreso than bonds is better than the players of now... but Bonds is playing against the best players in the WORLD. Not in a water downed talent pool of white Americans. I have just looked at a list of the top 50 hitters according to fantasy baseball and 35 of them are minorities and 10 of them are unknown to me as to whether or not they are.

Second off, if Bonds is on steroids... how come injuries have been few and far between for Bonds when steroids increase the risk of injuries?

and must I say this again...

STEROIDS DO NOT HELP!

Bonds has the best bat speed in the league, Bonds is as patient as a hitter as there is, Bonds has 20-15 vision and great mechanics, and above all else, Bonds has confidence.

If Intentional walks were outlawed in baseball, which I seriously think they should be, Bonds would already have passed Babe Ruth in HR's.

He's already off to an amazing start, 9 HR's, .500 average, and 17+ RBI's in like, 14 games. And he's already been walked 15+ times this season.

IUe6Hvh.png

can we please stop the Bonds vs. Ruth debate. It is IMPOSSIBLE to compare them fairly head to head or whatever. Ruth was the greatest in his generation, Bonds is arguably the greatest in our generation. We will never know what Ruth would be like today, and vice versa. This discussion cannot be won, so why carry it on?

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Josh, i think you miss the point entirely. I'm not gonna come across the table and choke InTheEnd.... I'm not gonna call his mother a name, and I'm not getting upset.

He has made some good points. I see where he is coming from. Truthfully, I don't actually care who the world determines is a better player. I just have fun discussing it with someone who is knowledgable on the subject.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Josh, i think you miss the point entirely. I'm not gonna come across the table and choke InTheEnd.... I'm not gonna call his mother a name, and I'm not getting upset.

He has made some good points. I see where he is coming from. Truthfully, I don't actually care who the world determines is a better player. I just have fun discussing it with someone who is knowledgable on the subject.

As do I. Isn't that what sports are about? Discusion amongst people who are informed on the subjects? I don't mind if people don't agree with me that Bonds is the greatest player, it will never be determined... my biggest gripe is with people who say he's on steroids just by looking at him considering he's not exactly the biggest guy ever.

IUe6Hvh.png

This is some debate! :wacko:

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived