Logo Design Tutorials: Animals

Davidson

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was trying to make an update over Richmond Tigers logo, and this one was my third try of doing it, but I'm extremely unhappy with the result. Would like some help and advices.

RICHMOND.jpg

When you try to improve a crappy logo when using said crappy logo as your only guide, the most likely result is that you will produce a crappy logo.

Look at pictures of snarling/roaring tigers, as well as good logos of tigers, and study them. Ask yourself:

"How do they build the face?"

"What parts do they have in common?"

"What parts are emphasized the most?"

• 2 weeks later...

This is only my second shot at drawing a logo from scratch. I'd welcome any advice from professionals, as the image has been burnt into my eyes...I can't see where it needs to go from here. I was also struggling with the wordmark.

Ridgemont Golden Gophers

GophersLogo.png

BuckeyesRetroFlagSm.pngFindlayRetroFlagSm.pngBrownsRetroFlagSm.png

This is only my second shot at drawing a logo from scratch. I'd welcome any advice from professionals, as the image has been burnt into my eyes...I can't see where it needs to go from here. I was also struggling with the wordmark.

Ridgemont Golden Gophers

GophersLogo.png

This is a really good start. I'd say you need to use thicker, bolder strokes. Also, think about how the logo will look in black and white. Right now it won't really look like anything because there's not a lot of interior shapes. Give and indication of some fur or a muzzle, anything to add definition. Shadows will add some depth. All these things will turn this into a dynamic, timeless logo.

I look forward to an update.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Thanks for the advice! I already think it's improved greatly. I'm still torn over the whiskers that I added. The stroke is thin, which I know I should avoid...but I'm not sure how else to execute whiskers, or if I should leave them off altogether. I still may have a little bit of a contrast issue...any other places you'd recommend adding shadows?

I appreciate you lending your eyes and expertise...sometimes it's hard to see what you're doing wrong when you've been looking at it so long.

GophersLogoV2.png

That does look a lot better. IMO I would lose the whiskers. How about just adding 3 circles to give the indication of whiskers the way they used to do in old cartoons? The shine you added to the nose added a lot of depth. I would probably add some shadow under the neck and on the back of the head/ear area.

Keep it up.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Here is my latest iteration. I talked to a few (non-graphic) people who gave me some advice as well. I've incorporated the following changes as a result:

1. Added additional shadowing. To get the most opportunity for good shadow, while staying consistent, I changed the lighting on the eyes and nose too.

2. Lightened the second shade of gold for additional contrast.

3. Took off the whiskers. I tried circular variations as a replacement, but they always came out looking a bit "cheesy". I'm not sure if the mouth area still needs something or not.

4. Added a furrowed brow to the eye. I recieved some feedback that the eye was a bit "feminine" before.

I guess I'm looking for feedback on the above changes and also opinions on whether or not this has an overall "gopher-y" look. I tried google images to get my baseline, but some people I talked to were a bit torn on whether it fit traditional perceptions of a gopher and would be accepted.

GophersLogoV3.png

Here is my latest iteration. I talked to a few (non-graphic) people who gave me some advice as well. I've incorporated the following changes as a result:

1. Added additional shadowing. To get the most opportunity for good shadow, while staying consistent, I changed the lighting on the eyes and nose too.

2. Lightened the second shade of gold for additional contrast.

3. Took off the whiskers. I tried circular variations as a replacement, but they always came out looking a bit "cheesy". I'm not sure if the mouth area still needs something or not.

4. Added a furrowed brow to the eye. I recieved some feedback that the eye was a bit "feminine" before.

I guess I'm looking for feedback on the above changes and also opinions on whether or not this has an overall "gopher-y" look. I tried google images to get my baseline, but some people I talked to were a bit torn on whether it fit traditional perceptions of a gopher and would be accepted.

GophersLogoV3.png

Best advice I could give at this stage would be to take the design you have copy it to a new doc so it's on a pure white page (if you're anything like me docs tend to get littered with various iterations and attempts at either full designs or specific parts), then reduce it down to about 20% it's current size and see how it holds up.

What you've got to remember is that a sports logo, especially on say a football helmet needs to identifiable from the seats in the stadium so it will look pretty small. It's also gonna have to be reduced from the size the actual helmet decal is to appear on merchandise such as hats polo shirts, even sports cards and TV where it will be used even smaller!

By reducing it right down you'll spot which parts of the design start to disappear and it's those you should concentrate on. Personally I'd also looking at creating a greater contrast between your two "golds" but I think you'll probably see that yourself when you reduce things down.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

i actually did use good logos as a reference (Hamilton Tiger Cats and Sound Cats) while doing this logo. I only used richmond logo to stay with proportions, to say that it's redesign, not completely new design.

I'd say that your problems are with the roundness and the eyes. It looks kind of fat.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

Archived